Is Directx 11.1 Going to Force You Out?

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Evilary, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Evilary Well-Known Member

Sadly, at this point in time, it looks like it will for me. How about you?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Raeven like this.
  2. Saladdin Active Member

I don’t know about me, but they will definitely lose 80-85% of the game’s subscribers if they really leave the DirectX 11.1 requirement in the game client.
    It is impossible to explain to a normal person WHY his brand new computer, bought in a well-known store, with freshly installed DirectX 12.0, included as part of Windows, does not want and cannot run a game that, by a strange whim of the developers, REQUIRES DirectX 11.1 and nothing else. Again; not DirectX 11.0 or DirectX 12.0, but DirectX 11.1 and nothing else. And by the way, their explanation is wrong. Compatibility with video cards is much higher for DirectX 11.0 than for DirectX 11.1
  3. Saladdin Active Member

And one more small note. This average player may, quite by chance, have several unused cronos (I have about 100 for example) guaranteeing a month of play each. But he physically cannot enter the game, since the game client began to require Directx 11.1
    Wouldn't he at least get his lawyer involved to sort out the situation as to why the company is ignoring his rights as a legitimate buyer of game time? Or will he turn to other players and they will file a class action lawsuit against DB?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Saladdin Active Member

Mistake. ask to delete
  5. Cyna New Member

I haven't had any trouble with Dx 11.1 (knock on wood) in fact while I havent had an enormous increase in framerate like some people I am ranging from 47 to 205 depending on zone, averaging 90ish with an occasional hitch here n there, I have had a tremendous increase in zoning times.
    This is all while running a gpu miner in the background. I tried it with a cpu miner and lets just say the game wont run
  6. Geroblue Well-Known Member

It would certainly mean I was gone as I would be unable to play.
  7. Raeven Well-Known Member

You may not get many responses. A lot of people do not check forums, and are merrily playing on Live servers, blissfully unaware of what is transpiring on Test. I don't know what might be going on in Discord, since I avoid it.

But if it hits Live servers in its current state.... well, I wouldn't want to be in Customer Service that day.
  8. Evilary Well-Known Member

I guess it's good for them that they no longer have a customer service phone number.
  9. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I've stopped spending here until this is resolved.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Siren like this.
  10. Lysia Active Member

yep -- I have had this top, state of the art raiding comp for 8 yrs --
    I needed it to raid -- but don't raid anymore ---
    but the old thing looks like I will have the same problem I have with dial-up, etc -
    and I see more issues with crashing when trying to leave the guild hall on the way too; not here yet, but ....
    -- like before I bought this girl 8 yrs ago ....

Not optimistic at all
  11. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Unless LINUX comes up with something for it I will also be forced out.
  12. a_shrubbery Active Member

If a computer can run DX12 it can run DX11.1/whatever ... duh?
  13. Kuulei Well-Known Member

I have had several people come over to Test server, so far those that have, are free of issues with the current build.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  14. Evilary Well-Known Member

Actually according to multiple people who have directx 12, they cannot. Directx 11.1 seems to be a less supported version for gpu's and therefore less people have access to it. If they upgraded to directx 12.0, I think less people would have problems than do now. Yes, it would kill anyone with Windows 7 but I have seen people with Windows 10 who cannot play on test server due to 11.1.
  15. Arandar Well-Known Member

Just to throw this out there, if they continue to say that they're going to support Windows 7, then they'll need to support DirectX 11.0. As far as I know, the 11.1 feature set isn't available on Win7 because it doesn't provide the required support for the drivers. So what's going on now could be just because it's in testing.

The minimum version of Windows needed for 11.0 is Windows 7, for 11.1 it's Windows 8.1.
  16. Saw-Lau Member

That was my understanding.

This article states 'Partial support for Direct3D 11.1 is available on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 via the Platform Update for Windows 7'. I think the key word here is 'partial'. Could it be that the people who are experiencing issues are running with Windows 7, albeit with a Direct3D 12 capable GPU? Is that the confusion?

Frankly, continuing to support Windows 7 in 2024 seems crazy, given it's been out of support for four years. (IMHO; YMMV.)
  17. Arandar Well-Known Member

I suspect that accounts for a lot of it. A lot of folks skipped on past Windows 8 (for good reason), and have a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality when it comes to Windows updates. I'm not sure Microsoft is still making the free upgrade to Windows 10 available anymore, it was out there for years.

I do think it would be a good idea for them to move to Windows 10, but everyone has their own unique circumstances, and some just aren't comfortable with tinkering "under the hood" as it were. The hardware works, so they're sticking with the operating system that it came with.

Edit: Just for clarity, I mentioned Windows 10 and not Windows 11 because if it's older hardware that's been running Windows 7, there's a fair chance that upgrading to 11 wouldn't even be an option due to the TPM requirements.
  18. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Can't type much right now, on mobile, but in short: yes, that's right, and it's only getting worse -> https://www-chip-de.translate.goog/..._sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp
    Saw-Lau, Raeven and Arandar like this.
  19. Arandar Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's been insider builds that are even more restrictive on the hardware they're going to support. Although in fairness, if you're using a CPU that doesn't have the required instruction set (which means pre-2009 or so) then it really is time to upgrade.
    Raeven likes this.
  20. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I have Windows 10. DirectX11 on my computer is just some of the features, not all of it.