Hardware upgrade DX11 2024

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Raeven, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Raeven Well-Known Member

Per Sturmlocke's suggestion, I am starting this thread for players seeking help from more computer literate players about how to upgrade their PCs to deal with the Direct X 11 game upgrade coming in the future.

Please post your questions, PC specs, etc. here and hopefully someone will help you with it.

Important! Please note: Make sure you are running the latest and greatest gpu drivers for your system before troubleshooting things.

AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support
    Nvidia: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html
    DxDiag for troubleshooting: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...diag-exe-dad7792c-2ad5-f6cd-5a37-bf92228dfd85
  2. Raeven Well-Known Member

Although thus far my PC is handling the Direct X 11 on Test server, I will start with some thoughts/questions that may be relevant to other non-techy (and possibly older) players like myself.

Sturmlocke mentioned in the other forum that a gpu upgrade could be found at a reasonable price on places like ebay. I did a search for Nvidia on ebay, and it came up with a plethora of what I assume are video cards for auction, the starting prices very low (although who knows where the price will end, since they were auctions).

I have no idea which of those many Nvidia things would be compatible with my computer, nor do I know how to find that info.

So that is my first question: How does a non-techy player know which one is compatible with their computer?

My next question is: How to put it in your computer once you get one? Is this a DYI project? Are there instructions/videos on how to do that?

I once switched a hard drive in my hubby's computer for one from a previous computer, because he had an impossible virus. BUT that was just a pull out and plug in thing. Is replacing a video card equally easy?

Understand, I am 62 years old, the closest computer shop is 10 miles away, and last I knew they charged $60 an hour for their services. Granted that is cheaper than buying a whole computer, but Social Security pensions do not stretch :)
  3. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

With my kids rn (I'm a 24/7 dad with work on the side), so I'll post some details later tonight. Would like to see others join the fun because I know for a fact that we have tech savvy ppl around here to support each other with these upgrades
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Raeven like this.
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I am unable to install any DirectX except 12 which came with it.

Here are the specs for my computer.

Windows 10 Home.
    Processor: Intel (R) i3-10100 CPU 3.6GHz
    Memory: 8 gigs of ram

Lenovo ACPI x64-based PC I have 4 cores and 8 logical processors.

Graphics chip: Intel UHD Graphics 630
    Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710

Monitor: 1920 x 1080 40" screen A HiSense Roku 8217X

PSU: no idea, but it supports the above.
  5. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

Gero, if you're like me, you should already have it activated.
    In the windows search bar, type dxdiag (or in start>execute) and you should have a window opening, with tabs for your display devices (1 and 2). To the right, you should see something along those lines:
    "Feature Levels: 12_2,12_1,12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1"
    Which shows that features from previous DirectX versions are supposed to work.
  6. Siren Well-Known Member

Like Geroblue, my dxdiag only shows Direct X 12. But under the Display Devices 1 & 2, it does show the Feature Levels list like you show here.

I'm still on Win 10 even though my laptop will take Win 11, because I use my laptop for work/medical things and I want to avoid problems. For this same reason I think I will watch how this EQ2 DX 11_1 thing plays out instead of joining in; no game is worth messing up my more serious stuff.
  7. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Linux here. Storm knows about that. I tried getting on Test last night and could not access it.
  8. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Typing from my phone real quick, will come back later for more infos. What happens when you try to access test? Does it crash, black screen, doesn't load or anything to that effect? Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC you have this integrated gpu: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/hd-graphics-2000.c1248

And this cpu: https://www.intel.de/content/www/de...r-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz/specifications.html

If so, these are the specs that your gpu (Intel HD Graphics 2000) has: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/hd-graphics-2000.c1248

The important part here is the section that mentions this: DirectX 11.1 (10_1)

So it seems that gpu is "compatible" with DX11, but it can actually only do up to DirectX 10.1 feature set, which is below the new minimum system requirements in EQ2-DX11. Tbh, that igpu is from 2011, so an upgrade to a dedicated graphics card is highly recommended at this point. The other problem is that it doesn't support Vulkan at all, so DXVK (Vulkan) is out of the question too with Linux and Crossover That leaves us with OpenGL, which you should already be using if you're on Crossover and if you disabled DXVK (iirc we talked about this some time ago), and if that is the case and you still can't get in, that most likely means that we're running out of luck with that chipset and an upgrade is highly recommended at this point.

@Everyone else: This website can help check your gpu specs for supported features etc. -> https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/
    Raeven likes this.
  9. Geroblue Well-Known Member

When I try to get to Test, it says X11.1 not found, Launch Pad drops to desktop a few seconds later.

I only have X12.
  10. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

GT 710 versus HD 630 (HD630 beats GT 710 by a long shot)

Before we start, Raeven is right and we have to wait and see if the new minimum system requirements are actually 11.0 or 11.1, because that's going to make the difference when troubleshooting these things. Right now it's unclear and trying to "fix" something that might not be fixable would only cause more issues than help.

However: Now that's an interesting combination @Gero! It would be nice if you could provide us the details that Whilhelmina is asking of you, because if what you posted is true, and your pc has both the Intel HD 630 AND Nvidia 710 graphics card in it, then I must ask why you're using the GT 710 at all? I ask because the integrated HD 630 is actually much more powerful / performant than the dedicated GT 710, AND the HD 630 also has full support for the more modern DirectX feature set too, and that includes DirectX11 all the way up to DirectX12.1. The GT 710 on the other hand is merely "compatible" with DirectX12, but it only supports the feature set of DirectX11.0, if I'm not mistaken (just had very quick look right now).

IntelHD 630: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/hd-graphics-630.c2962

Geforce GT 710: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gt-710.c1990

IntelHD 630: DirectX 12 (12_1)

Geforce GT 710: DirectX12 (11_0)

So what I would recommend is to actually remove the GT 710 from your computer, if that's a desktop machine, or disable it by any other software means in Windows, and just use the IntelHD 630 alone instead, because as you can see from the spec sheet above, not only does HD630 fully support all the modern DirectX features, but it also literally performs two to three times faster than that old GT 710, see video above. HD630 should be even faster when using dual-channel RAM since it feeds off the main RAM in your PC (which is 8 gigs). The HD 630 should be fully compatible with EQ2-DirectX11. I suspect that you're using the GT 710 for EQ2-DX11 and that might be causing the issue here.
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

There is no place to plug my monitor's HDMI cable in if I pull the card. Only a 15 pin blue socket is left.
    Raeven and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  12. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

So just to make sure we get this right: if you pull the Nvidia card all that is left to use on that PC is a blue VGA port, and your monitor requires HDMI, correct? If so, you just need one of these converters: BENFEI VGA-auf-HDMI-Adapter, 1080P-Konverter mit Audio von Computer/Laptop, VGA-Quelle auf HDMI-TV/Monitor https://a.co/d/j2Cn3xj
  13. Tkia Well-Known Member

I'd recommend you exercise some patience and do nothing until we have a definitive confirmation of the new minimum game specs. If they confirm 11_0 as the requirement and adjust at their end then that 710 should be adequate. I'd be more worried about the i3 myself.
  14. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Yeah, Raeven said that too, and I agree. Wait and see what the minimum actually is before doing anything if you can and want to wait. In Gero's case it might still be better to switch away from the Nvidia though because not only does the Intel vastly outperform the Nvidia, but it's also more future proof with full DirectX11-12 support and it also consumes less power and produces less heat while at it. That old Nvidia is only going to get him that far. The Intel will also work completely out of the box with Linux and it fully supports Vulkan 1.3 if you ever decide to go down that route @Gero (Nvidia only does Vulkan 1.2 at best and Vulkan 1.3 is recommended). The i3 should be more than fine too. I'm using an old i7 7700 with 4c/8t (same as Gero's i3) and EQ2-DX11 is flying with 95-150fps at extreme settings and 1080p resolution.
  15. Siren Well-Known Member

His monitor is HDMI 1080p. Connecting it via an adaptor to an ancient (circa late 1980s/ early 1990s) 15-pin VGA video adaptor port is going to force him to stay at the similarly ancient VGA = 640 x 480 resolution, isn't it? Yeesh. That will look terrible, and likely negate whatever small improvement this new DX 11.1 version would otherwise give him.

If so, he would be better off running the current DX9 version of EQ2 we have right now. It seems like, to allow the most players to actually play the game, the devs should continue to run both the DX9 current version alongside the DX 11.1 version.
    Tkia, Raeven and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  16. Evilary Well-Known Member

Or they could, *gasp*, use 11.0 like their minimum requirements already state.
    Tkia, Raeven and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  17. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

VGA should be able to do 1080p just fine because I vividly remember using that resolution with an old CRT VGA monitor back in the old days. Edit: looked it up and this is what I found.

Source: Google, Reddit and Wikipedia. That means that VGA can even go higher than 1080p. The converter above also supports 1080p VGA to HDMI conversion according to its specs. Edit: Ofc Gero could also buy a used gpu for 2-3 times that price on eBay which would be a more permanent solution if he's willing to upgrade. I'll be posting some suggestions in a few hours, fell asleep randomly yesterday.

When it comes to directx9 vs directx11, having both versions won't be feasible nor possible for a number of reasons. I summed it up over here on this page a little bit further below: http://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/direct-x-11-issues.614648/page-6

I also do remember a dev post over at eq1 saying that they can only do dx11 pretty much for the same reason that everyone else has understandably killed DX9 support. Having dx9 alongside 11 would cause a number of issues and pretty much hinder the game from progressing any further on all fronts. DX9 has reached its EoL (end of life) and is literally being phased out of Windows graphic drivers, which means removing it has become inevitable (all major mmos are either moving away from it or have done so already).
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

YEAH. :mad:

Uwk
    whose Feature Levels on the laptop are as follows, and I quote [emphasis mine]:
    12_1,12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
    Raeven likes this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Mine, with my laptop:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit [well, yeah ;->]
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 4500U with Radeon Graphics (6 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 12 GB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 11.6 GB RAM

HP Laptop 17z-ca300

Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown [interesting...]
    Display Memory: 6315 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 496 MB
    Shared Memory: 5818 MB

I have no idea what else is needed to be looked at, but all that was from my saved DxDiag.txt file.

Uwk
    Raeven likes this.
  20. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

Indeed, waiting a bit might be better as it's currently not working for some of us using DirectX 12 with recent cards (my laptop has a GeForce 4070 RTX and graphics are not rendering).
    Siren, Tkia, Raeven and 1 other person like this.