Appearance slot for backpacks, please?

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by Katzandra, Jun 21, 2023.

1. Katzandra Well-Known Member

The new Tinkerfest quest that rewards a cute backpack that only holds 30 items brought to mind a longstanding disappointment. Since most players have backpacks that are much larger (and, at least for some of us, are always full), this reward is sadly useless, as are many of the other really fun packs that are quest rewards or were purchased when packs were smaller. I understand the reluctance to put a 60 slot pack in as a quest reward (though it would make the quest more popular), it is a shame that so much work (on the part of the artists and implementors) went into an item that most of us won't use. It occurred to me that it would be quite nice to have an appearance slot for packs like this (too small too actually use, but fun to look at on one's characters' backs seasonally or once in a while). It would be no different than the other appearance slots that we have for cloaks, etc. So. PLEASE????
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Backpack appearances weren't even put into the game until many years into it, and from what I understand, there really is a mechanical limitation to *only* the backpacks you're actually using in your inventory slots.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Dgkelly38 Active Member

If anything should have gotten an appearance, it's the ear, neck, and waist slot items.
    Juull and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ear and neck would be fairly easy, I would think; at least as easy as Rings and Armbands (upper arms).

But one of the things I miss the most from WoW is VISIBLE BELTS (if Armbands are easy, Belts should be, too). There, they were considered part of the ARMOR, even suits of Plate, not jewelry, of all things. X-P

Uwk
    who, as an SCA'er can verify, yeah, belts are an important piece of armor
  5. Dgkelly38 Active Member

And for that matter, we should be wondering how visible ear and neck items aren't already a thing in EQ2.
  6. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Because they were never intended to be. Why add even more strain on the artists to create tiny little details that you would have to really get up close to specifically notice?
    AOE1, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Dude like this.
  7. Dgkelly38 Active Member

For the ears it might have been, but not the neck part if you remember SWG; those items were as big as an avatar's face.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And we do have Rings and Armbands on the Marketplace; when I did an homage toon to the 13th Doctor in Doctor Who, I was bummed we really don't have much of an equivalent to her rainbow T-shirt (which I think was a nod to Sarah Jane Smith :)), but I was able to sort of tweak it, or at least give the impression, with a colorful Tiara and Armbands to convey the sense. :)

And visible Neck and especially Belt items would probably be noticeable, yeah. ;)

Uwk
  9. Katzandra Well-Known Member

Some of the backpacks have appearances that can be selected when equipped, including the one awarded for the new Tinkerfest quest. My point is that someone put a lot of effort into making a backpack with a snazzy appearance. Sadly it only has 30 slots which most of us won't actually use as one of our 6 backpacks. My thoughts are that adding a slot for an appearance only pack would make this item (as well as small backpacks from other quests or earlier purchases) more fun and more viable.

There is a ring that can be worn as an appearance item in the hand slot. Brytthel's Signet Ring was a reward in the crafting timeline (Thalumbria if I recall correctly).

My immediate concern was over this really cute backpack that I won't use! A simple (?) adjustment might be to allow it to be converted to a "cloak" for appearance only purposes.
    Jaden, Yavie and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  10. FalconClash Well-Known Member

What I have always wished is that Cloaks, back Weapon/Quiver can be shown at the same time rather than having to choose one or the other.

Cloak/Weapon
    Cloak/Pack
    Bow/Quiver

and so on...
  11. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

No no I get what you're asking for, but there is a technical limitation on what backpack appearances can even be shown because it has to be a container that you are currently using with your character. I have about 3 or 4 packs in my bank that have appearances but I have no desire to functionally use, so they don't show up on my appearance options.

And yes, that ring is a hand-slot appearance item that makes both hands completely gloveless except for the ring on your right ring finger. Same with the LoN armbands that take up your forearm slots and does the same as the ring. They're not jewelry-slot appearances. They're armor slots that look like jewelry, which is a distinct technical difference.
  12. Manafizzle Well-Known Member

Or just let us add the backpack to the wardrobe in the cloak slot.

/listens to the sound of a thousand petitions of lost backpacks being typed by a thousand frantic players...

Or not. Y'know.
  13. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

"Are you sure you want to add this to your wardrobe?
    >Yes
    "Are you really sure you want to add this to your wardrobe?"
    >Yes
    "You DO realize you will NOT be able to get this thing back, ever again, right? This item will be permanently deleted for the sake of you using it for appearances. It will lose all function. Are you absolutely sure!?"
    >Yes"
    "This item has been added to your wardrobe. Don't complain to Customer Service about it."
  14. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

I really hate that with the new gift of a bear cub backpack that I cannot use it. Please make an appearance slot for a backpack. I have several I would love to use, but can't give up the inventory space. Perhaps make a slot next to cloak appearance as an optional box.
    Twyla and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I still think the problems with the Polar Bear backpack could be solved really easily by just increasing the slot number. I wouldn't have a problem wearing that at all if it went from 30 to 32 slots...or even the full 44 of the Panda Bear backpack that it's a basic re-skin of. ;->

Uwk
    Idril and Twyla like this.
  16. Evilary Well-Known Member

Yeah, I keep 44 slot backpacks in my shared and guild vault for all my new characters. I don't see when I would ever use a 30 slot. So sadly the appearance is lost on me unless they give us the ability to throw them into the cloak appearance slot or something.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Twyla and GrunEQ like this.
  17. Mysstie Well-Known Member

Yeah.. I couldn't use one of these bags. I just got way too much stuff on me LOL.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I just had a thought: what if the devs are now being ordered by our Swedish Overlords to cut back on the carrying capacity of any new personal containers? :-/

Can't imagine why things are still being limited as much as they are these days otherwise...shoot, the old Brewday Backpack was 36 slots, as were some of the older holiday quest reward 'packs. :-/

Uwk
  19. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

I'm gonna bump up this thread to let you know that the Year of Darkpaw event merchant is selling cloaks with backpack appearances.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Are they actually cloaks, vs. a backpack appearance slot?

And is it true that no one under 125 will be able to finish the quests far enough to access the merchant? :-/

Uwk