"Memory" Damage-capping mechanics.

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by Cusashorn, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

The new big mechanic for the next expansion seems to be intentionally capping how much damage a player can do to a mob. Felfeather and Shattered Unrest both have "Memories" buffs on bosses that heals them for any damage over 10% of their health or otherwise prevents them from taking damage until a certain point in time in the fight.

This is.... really stupid. Most content for the last 4 expansions have been a slog, and most players just want to finish it as fast as possible and get it over with. Can we please not be adding mechanics that ultimately delays when a mob gets killed?

Everytime I run Felfeather, that final Djinn boss stops at 5% health and says "No, you're going to wait through 4 rock slides and a frontal before I die".

Just let me kill him already. If this is the main "gating" mechanic they're going to use going forward, you're going to get a lot of pushback.
  2. Feara Well-Known Member

Oh man, this sounds like a lotta fun. Not even. I don’t like gating.
    Twyla likes this.
  3. Smashey Well-Known Member

They will do anything but a stat/damage squish. Anything.

Soon gear will be nothing but a resolve stat because anything else does not matter and people will still keep playing the game.

What is the point of bursty classes if they cant burst to their full potential...?
  4. Taled Well-Known Member

Every fight for the last I don't know how many expansions has had a section of the resolve buff that specifically states we are not supposed to be able to hit them for more than X% of their health, with X changing between Solo, Heroic, and Raid encounters.

The only difference is, *some* of the new encounters have a mechanic that prevents breaking that - This is likely just yet another new version to prevent breaking it and finding a way around that damage cap. Go back to BoL or RoS and look, they have the same thing - it just doesn't always work properly, and classes that hit fast AND hard enough tended to break past it because it didn't calculate the damage caps properly. (EG, Assassins)

This became a comical issue with non-encounter encounters like the Wall in Den, where the stoneward mechanic made breaking down a wall stupendously slow unless you just used a ton of tiny dots (like all 6 members using both scepters + mothers will) or you stood there for 2 minutes instead of 10 seconds.

As far as Imprinted Memory, the issue with the mobs simply refusing to take damage is that one of the abilities from the two elemental named - Whichever ability the first of the two named uses - also puts up a stoneskin/ward on the mob when they cast it, so you're stuck doing zero damage. It's not a block based on how much DPS you're doing or anything of the sort, it's not some new mechanic, it's just that specific ability includes a damage blocker on it. That's why the first elemental golem is SOOO much slower than the second one.
    SolarFaire likes this.
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

I never said anything about the golems. I said the final Djinn boss. He forces me to suffer through at least two of his "Metal and Stone" AoEs before he will let me kill him at 5%. Maybe I'm just not able to see whatever stoneskins he's throwing on himself but it's ridiculous.
    Twyla and SolarFaire like this.
  6. Taled Well-Known Member

I know you didn't; However, he uses the same abilities as the two golems. (Plus his own, obviously)

The stoneskin/ward/whatever it is that goes up during the ability isn't a visible buff, which is part of the reason I specified that it does it during that ability.
    Cusashorn and SolarFaire like this.
  7. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Huh.. In that case I guess my complaints in this thread are stoneskins. Alright, nevermind. :D
  8. Roxtar Member

I am not sure but from my experience in that zone the arcane keeps you from doing damage. need to joust out 26 meters to avoid it or cure it once it's on. I hope that helps.
    Twyla likes this.
  9. Taled Well-Known Member

That's possible too, I don't pay much attention to the det side effects when they get healed quickly without killing me!

Nevermind! -- I just tested on my alt that still needs shards, since this gave me some interesting reason to do it, and the arcane doesn't prevent damaging the named. Nor does curing it trigger immediately being able to damage again. It looks like it's either a set time or a 30 hit stoneskin, that pet attacks don't count down on, maybe - but time seems more likely.
    SolarFaire, Roxtar and Twyla like this.