Mercenary Appearance Swaps

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by Spookypatrol, Sep 26, 2023.

1. Spookypatrol Member

So I don't know if this has been proposed before - feel like it has - but I'd love a system where we can use previously unlocked merc skins over the stats of other mercs. My husband and I have discussed this extensively, and both of us always appreciate more ways to customize our characters.

It's just a shame that we have to sacrifice stats for appearance or vice-versa. There are so many amazing-looking mercs out there that are basically unusable nowadays, and I feel like a transmog system where you could override appearances would help encourage the purchase of outdated crates, too.
    Vexil and Feara like this.
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

This is the eternal topic. A dev once spoke up about how the mechanical class and functionality of each merc actually does factor into whether their apperance even could be changed. Long story short is that it can't be done with the current manpower the dev team has.
    Spookypatrol and Feara like this.
  3. Sheyn Member

Edit: Originally this was a longer rant post, but as I thought about the Battalion Buff being a separated thing from the Merc itself, it dawned on me ...

I doubt they'll ever have Merc Appearances, not for staffing / payroll, coding, whatever issues, but because of a potential PR Issue.

Sheyn: "But this way ... WE can use ANY previous Merc, and Darkpaw Games continues to generate money from selling the current season Battalion Buff."

If the idea of having a Clickable Battalion Buff similar to Infusions work now, were to go ahead, it seems painfully obvious that the Battalion Buff that we chase each season is Pay-To-Win.

By having it tied to the Merc, it tempers that perception a bit. We think of the Merc first. I.e.: Season 6 Mercenary Crate ... instead of Season 6 Battalion Buff Crate. To me, it's as if calling it Season 6 Mercenary Crate is a way of spinning perception away from the fact that we're actually paying for a Buff.

And with all the MMO Pay-To-Win backlash it'd be an egregious admission that an aspect is pay to win.

I doubt any MMO wants to swim in that pool

Yet another idea that doesn't create a further PR Issue, but does require *gasp* programming payroll hours:

Merc-a-morph Wands ... just like Petamorph but for Mercs!

- Sheyn
  4. Sheyn Member

Actually wait! Solution idea:

The Mercenary Battalion Buff ... simply ... becomes a Permanent Buff, or Clickable Buff.

Similar to Mercenary Infusion Buff, Mount Infusion Buff, and Familiar Infusion Buff; the highest level will always be cast.

We'd still need to chase the highest Contribution Level and Level the best 4 to 20 blah blah blah ... so there's still a money generating scheme. Nobody want to take that away from you, Darkpaw. It's ok. Stay calm.

But this way ... WE can use ANY previous Merc, and Darkpaw Games continues to generate money from selling the current season Battalion Buff.

- No abilities would need to be mapped to another merc
    - No animations would need to change at all
    - Devs can program animations as jankily as they want
    - We players wouldn't have to slog through the merc window to swap to our current highest Battalion Buff in order to be combat ready

Win all around

- Sheyn
    tasnee and Feara like this.
  5. Feara Well-Known Member

The Buff has been mentioned before. My thinking is it should be doable. But what do I know?

I’m still hoping for this.
    tasnee and Spookypatrol like this.
  6. Solid11 Active Member

Great idea!!
    Hey DPG, if you want more mercs being sold, then don't tie the buff to them. I'd love to change out the look of my merc daily, and try out new cool mercs you KEEP MAKING, but guess what? I'm chained to the one you had me level up for a buff I can't afford to lose now. Maybe not the best idea if you want people buying merc crates. I keep the same merc until the next expansion. Not a good business model.