Trail Mix

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Celestia, May 6, 2023.

1. Celestia Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, is the Denmother's Trail Mix named after Denmum? I thought it was a cute coincidence if not. :D
    Feara and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Long before she officially joined the dev team.
  3. Celestia Well-Known Member

I wondered! How cool! :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Celestia Well-Known Member

I don’t know, people probably are thinking, Well duh. But I guess being away for so long, coming back, then going away again etc makes you miss things. Sorry if it seemed obvious and dumb.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Denmum Developer

Not "obvious" or "dumb". Way back in the day, several community leaders had things named after them, including some potions and poisons. I want to say it was around Kunark expansion time, but my memories are fuzzy.

The below is something I wrote quite a while ago, and dumped into a player-made book on Test. I can't find the original writing, but I copied the book contents for you:

Most of you might be familiar with the provisioner-made "Denmother's Trail Mix", but did you know the real-world story behind it?

Several years ago at a Fan Faire, mindful of the problems with convention food and my many food allergies, I made up a big bag of my own version of trail mix, relying heavily on dark chocolate covered cranberries, sweetened dried cranberries ("Craisins"), and cashews. During both the Community Leader Summit beforehand, and the actual Fan Faire, I could be seen nibbling on it here and there ... and some of the developers and players could be seen drooling over it.

It seems that conventions and poor eating go hand in hand, as folks are too busy with panels, chatting, partying and what have you, to remember to eat properly, much less on time!

Shortly thereafter, "Niami's Trail Mix" appeared in EverQuest, courtesy of some of the developers who had gotten a chance to sample it. "Denmother's Trail Mix" also appeared in EQ2, for much the same reason.

As the years have passed, the real-world trail mix has become a tradition at Fan Faires. Two or more bags of Craisins, a couple tubs of dark chocolate cranberries from Trader Joe's, a bag of roasted cashews and a box of snack-size ziploc bags travel with me to Fan Faires. Every day of the con, I combine a bunch, package them up, and pass them around (saving some to munch on for myself, as well, mind you!)

~Mum

(Turn page for a lovely & simple fudge recipe, that I can't bring to Fan Faire due to melting)

3 Ingredient Microwave Fudge

1-1/2 bags (18 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (I prefer Eagle Brand)
    2 tsp. vanilla

Stir ingredients well in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave on high power for 1 more minute. Stir. If many lumps remain from the chips, microwave for another 15 seconds or so. Otherwise, spread with spatula into a 9x9 or so buttered baking dish. Refrigerate for 1 hour, then cut into small squares. (Keep it in the pan, it will still be a big gooey.) Return to the refrigerator until you're ready to serve.

Warnings: If you leave in the refrigerator for more than an hour before cutting, you may need a chisel! This is a very sweet fudge, so small squares (1"x1" or so) are recommended. It also goes soft and gooey easily, so try to keep it cold until ready to serve.
  6. Celestia Well-Known Member

Thank you for the explanation! Like I said, I missed a lot of stuff or didn't bother crafting for a while. Anyway, very cool :)
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Okay, saving this file... :D

That recipe looks incroyable! :D

(With apologies to our French speakers...)

Uwk