Not A Bug new chat tab every time i log in

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by girney, Dec 23, 2022.

1. girney Active Member

on my main toon girney, i get a new tab (detached) every time i log in. i get rid of it every time but it comes back when i log on the next time. very annoying.
    Daxdd, Breanna, Twyla and 1 other person like this.
  2. Xianthia Well-Known Member

This randomly happens to one of my characters. It's been months since it last happened. It randomly stops and it randomly starts. Distracting and frustrating while it lasts. :(

I've tried loading a different character UI each time this happens.
    It keeps happening until some EQ2 gremlin makes it stop...
    Breanna and Twyla like this.
  3. Taled Well-Known Member

Are you just closing the tab?

Try attaching it to a chat window, then camp to yourself and see if it opens another chat window again. If it doesn't, close that empty chat tab and camp to yourself again and see if that still works.
    Breanna and Twyla like this.
  4. girney Active Member

tried that and another unattached chat window appears
    Taled likes this.
  5. Taled Well-Known Member

Hmmm. That's a weird bug!

What UI are you using? Do you have another character using the same (or close enough) ui_settings that you could load the settings and see if it quit popping up

I assume you are /camping and not /quit, /exit or crashing the game out to close it? Those can prevent your settings from saving properly.
  6. girney Active Member

all toons are using the standard ui that comes with the game. first saw it on an alt but it went away. /camp girney
    Taled likes this.
  7. Taled Well-Known Member

Well, that's about everything I can think of to try in game - have you tried doing a full file validation? I doubt it would fix it, but who knows.
  8. Caith Developer

Chat windows are controlled by the characters ServerName_CharacterName_eq2_uisettings file located in your root EQ2 directory. While not logged into the game, locate this file for your main and rename it to add _old to the filename. Then log into your character, when you do the game will notice that you do not have a uisettings file create a new one and pop up a suggestion to use one of your other characters as a template. Choose one of the working characters as a template to work from and see if the issue continues.

As a note, you can also use the command /load_uisettings to skip having to rename the file, but the way I suggested above keeps your old ui file as a backup in case you end up wanting to revert.
    Carizia, Twyla and Breanna like this.
  9. Ratalthor Developer