Amatheon: Add a cool down period so players have a chance at the weapon quest update

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by Jinksie, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Jinksie Well-Known Member

Since this mob is tied to a quest (the desert parched quest line) - can we make it that if you kill this mob, you cannot see it for a set amount of hours after? Like we did last expansion where you cannot dps the outdoor heroic contested names until a certain time as past.

What we are seeing is that groups are farming this overland name (quest or no quest) for the loot drops (which is great!) and they do it back to back in different zone iterations (badlands 1, badlands 2, etc). Essentially, this means if you cannot succeed on the first pull (if you are lucky to get first pull) you cannot get it b/c the other group will grab it. If there is a cool down period it would make it easier to see it is up, form up and have a couple pulls at it to get the quest update.

Thank you!
    Twyla, Falkira, Chath and 1 other person like this.
  2. Priority Well-Known Member

That or instance it during specific hours each week
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Contested content means people can jump to get a spawn.

OTOH, the EQ2 Play Nice Rules say that you should be able to send the other group a /tell and let them know you need it for a quest, and ask them to either back off a bit so you can get your update, or invite you to group with them for the update. If they won't do this, you can /petition. But you have to try to discuss it with the other group first. If they won't reply, or won't agree, /report then /petition.
    Twyla likes this.
  4. Jinksie Well-Known Member

I wish people played this nicely. We have a particular raiding guild that is just killing it over and over and any appeal to them, or their guild leader has been fruitless. A petition was submitted a couple weeks back, but the behavior remains. Their leader basically said there's nothing they can do about it which is true.

I very much get this is contested, all I am asking is that there is an enforced cool down period before they can get it again. It has been done in the past with overland heroic names with weekly quests attached - so why not do so for one with a key weapon quest attached?
    Athenia and Twyla like this.
  5. Sassenak New Member

The same guilds are definitely making it nearly impossible for anyone else to have a chance. And, like you said, God forbid you wipe. They are there waiting and will take it from you. It happened to us. It was our very first time pulling and thus didn't know the strat. They immediately swooped in and killed it. They had just done the same thing to another guild in another instance. One guild in particular has more than one account camping at once. This does NOT make this xpac's difficult grind any easier.

Athenia, Twyla and Jinksie like this.
  6. Chath Well-Known Member

Yeah, this seems like a good idea. It may not fully solve the problem since it's not impossible people could kill it with alts, but it'd probably help a bit.
    Avarice and Jinksie like this.
  7. Chrol Developer

This should have had a timer preventing it from being seen after killing it for some amount of time, similar to the other overland bosses. It will be added with the next update.

Thanks!
    Vlkodlak, Avarice, Athenia and 9 others like this.
  8. Jinksie Well-Known Member

Whew! Thank you so much! I appreciate the quick response! Yay!
    Tyrval and Twyla like this.
  9. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Preventing players from seeing the mob is one thing, but does it also mean they can't interact with it? I know some classes don't need to be targeting a mob as part of a raid force for them to attack it. One player could just assist someone else who currently can, right?
  10. Zhevally Well-Known Member

They can not typically. So, last xpac we would sometimes get a healer back to back overland kills on the same mob by swapping dps+tank out since healer doesn't need to target named....If your tank can't see Ametheon you'll wipe to the tank stacks. If your dps can't see it....it'll be a slow kill. So it should help.
    Cusashorn likes this.
  11. Froakin Member

Probably a long shot, but hey, figured since they are looking at this already...

Would you also consider making Amatheon spawn more often since a singular group wouldn't be able to monopolize the spawns? A (roughly) 4 hour respawn from death seems a bit excessive given how...stubborn he can be with dropping his more desired items from his table.

I do recognize with this change it "should" be a bit easier to get the mob. Especially if players won't be able to pop into another instance on the same characters and kill him over and over.

I also recognize that his drops punch outside of their weight class (being roughly h3 bonus loot items, while dropping off an h2 difficulty encounter). And I understand these might be considered "chase" items and intended to be rarer/not one of those things everyone can get.

However, I don't feel this change really resolves the bottleneck of Amatheon. The desirability of his loot table and difficulty of finding something comparable in those slots means a lot of people are looking out for something that only spawns a handful of times a day. As more people are capable of completing the encounter, it's only going to increase the backlog (at least until the next drop that everyone wants/needs and no one can drop shows up).

I wouldn't the long spawn timer if there were some sort of Amatheon whistle style consumable item with a long cooldown available for purchase once you killed him (with Renewal Tablets, not Miras lol). Or you could eventually obtain his drops with currency or Amatheon shards or something. Just another way to get his charms/adorns without joining the Night's Watch in Takish Badlands or feeling like I'm letting everyone down by saying my watch has ended and peacing out.

Anywho, I suppose that's enough rambling and dreaming of pipes. Appreciate ya for this change either way.
  12. Phade New Member

From what I recall, you are not required to kill Amatheon to advance the quest. The quest NPC spawn's whenever Amatheon is killed and is visible to anyone who is on that step. It doesn't have to be killed by you.

The contested nature of this mob has no impact on the quest.

-Phade
  13. Jinksie Well-Known Member

That is not correct for the first step. Once you have a Merely Sated version - you have to kill Amatheon to see the quest NPC the first time. You then talk to him, go buy the recipe, etc... the NEXT time you need the quest NPC, you do not have to kill Amatheon a second time - you just have to wait for him to be spawned. However, you have to kill the named at least once in the process to see him in the first place. If that is not accurate, than that is bugged. Trust me, I've checked just in case.
    Avarice, Chath and Tyrval like this.
  14. Bentenn Well-Known Member

Actually there are 3 or 4 but thats' neither here nor there. When they put 2 of the better charms in game on this "CONTESTED" mob, what would one expect? I mean the desert parched weapons shouldn't be attached to the kill. The merchant should be visible when the contested has been killed for an hrish. Problem solved.
    Jinksie likes this.
  15. Bentenn Well-Known Member

U have to kill it at least once in the beginning part of the quest, then never again to update it, but those that aren't in those raiding guilds won't be getting those weapon updates either as those last 2 raid mobs in the first zones will need to be nerfed first.
  16. Bentenn Well-Known Member

Really the quest should that requires him should be removed. The timer really does nothing...
    Jinksie likes this.
  17. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

This was a poorly setup idea - any quest that requires a contested mob (that raiders want to kill for the gear it drops) means that most will never get to complete the quest until we are into the next expac.
    Twyla likes this.
  18. Priority Well-Known Member

reminds me of the headless horsemen in its original iteration. Nobody but Fatality killed that mob on MD back then
  19. Moss Well-Known Member

There are multiple problem with this encounter;

1) it drops some of the best items NEEDED to progress to Heroic 3 and Raid, because their are not enough drop or equivalent loots anywere else
    2) the drop rate of those items is very low, we have been farming it everytime we see it online and some players who have farm it since the begining are still waiting to see one of his charm drop
    3) it could be killed with a group of 3, and with alts, it just take longer, even if they add a 24h cooldown we would still be able to farm it 4-6 times a day with alts in the same guild
    4) it is need to kill it at a specific quest step to progress

So adding a timer will not solve much

1) whose who need those items will continue to farm it, because the drop rate is too low
    2) whose who farm it already have many alts or will have some ready in a few days, because you know, they need those items and are ready to camp it day and night

Solutions

1) update the quest and remove the step that requires to kill Amatheon, so players only have to talk to the vendor
    2) remove the charms from the loot table, sell the charms at the vendor against heroic currencies (2000+ per charms), make that you need Amatheon kill achievement to be able to buy the charms, most player will kill it once and forget about him, as the other loots are good but not BIS
    3) tie Amatheon to a weekly/monthly quest that allows you to summon it at any time with an item/quest, or in instanced zone
    4) change Amatheon to an open contested X4 that anyone could join and kill (like a previous public quest)

Their are so many ways to solve this issue, but adding a timer is probably not the good one
    Clintsat likes this.
  20. Clintsat Well-Known Member

I really, really like the above post's recommendations on the charm. Making it purchasable via the regular expac currency after a check on your kill flag would give a great reward to players and significantly reduce the congestion around the contested mob. The mob still drops decent rings so it's going to have a place in progression and the quest will keep the mob used.
    Avarice, Tyrval and Scrappyz like this.