New Player Tank Targeting Question

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vendage, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Vendage New Member

Hello Everyone,

New Player to EQ2 and having a blast so far playing my dwarf paladin. I just have an issue when my paladin is tanking multiple mobs. My paladin will randomly switch between different mobs I'm tanking. Is there a way to turn this off so that I control when I switch between mobs. Thank you in advance for the assistance

-Vendage
    Sturmlocke, Obano and Dude like this.
  2. Benj Well-Known Member

If your target is being switched without direct input from you, then it is a mob mechanic, and not an option you can turn off. Some enemies have the ability to taunt players and change their target, just as we have the ability to taunt enemies and change their target. Some enemies also have a force-target that not only changes your target, but holds you on them until the spell wears off. This second type may or may not be curable, depending on the encounter. It's just something tanks have to deal with, especially in heroics and raids.
  3. Luck Member

I have nothing to add.....other than I commend you on your choice of Dwarf Paladin. Our stories and journey are stuff of ledgends.....and please be sure to wear a kilt.
    Iludiin, Sturmlocke, Aethos and 3 others like this.
  4. Vendage New Member

Thank you
    Sturmlocke, Pixistik and Dude like this.
  5. Obano Well-Known Member

Very few mobs have active taunts. It is just a broken targeting mechanic than existed for the last few expansions. Lets I am tanking something and an add comes in and starting beating up the ranger in the back. I can target the add with the mouse and then click a taunt. But 9 times out of 10 the target has switched back to whatever I was targeting originally and the taunt gets wasted. The only way to reliably grab that add is with a blue AoE.
  6. Fangrim Active Member

Also if you're a member type/togglethreatlistwindow This is great for swapping targets when you want without having to click on them on screen with other players,spell effects whatever obscuring view. It also says what health the mobs have which is useful as some encounters have to be kept withing a % of each others health until death.
  7. Kenn Well-Known Member

In the options there are two target commands. Target Next NPC and Target Nearest NPC. I bind my keys to to E for nearest mob and Q to switch mobs. I also play a paladin (the best one IMO).

There is also another option to allow you to automatically face the mob you are fighting. Which I turn on and it helps a lot.
    Twyla likes this.
  8. Aethos Well-Known Member

This is just incorrect. Many mobs have active taunts.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I find it helpful to use the Threat List window (/togglethreatistwindow)