Not A Bug Heroic Opportunities do not damage the mob if the finisher is self-targeted

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Tyrval, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Tyrval Active Member

So I've been surprised for a while at HOs not showing up in parses, and it turns out that no Heroic Opportunity ever does a damaging hit on the mob if the HO finisher is a self-targeting buff, rather than an offensive spell or combat art.

For example, if a berserker is trying to do crushing anvil or sky cleave (or in RoR, Sultan's Dagger and so on), the single class HO that advances from the sword (Frenzy, Maul, Rupture for example), and then for the 'glove' finisher they use Controlled Rage, Rampage, or Weapon Counter, the HO completes but there is no damaging attack on the target since I guess the finisher is self targeted. On the other hand, if it is finished using Raging Blow, Sky Cleave/Crushing Anvil/Sultan's Dagger hits the mob fine.

This only matters for damage, as any game mechanics that require an HO finish still work fine, but if people are ever wondering why they never see HOs on their parses, this is why. The HOs complete successfully but there's no damaging hit unless it's off of an ability that targets the mob.
    Aethos, Twyla, Chath and 1 other person like this.
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

A HO has to be done on the same mob. It's a little bit complicated if nothing happens if the HO is started on the named and endid from a different player on additional trash, but this is game mechanic.
  3. Priority Well-Known Member

Not what they said is occuring.
    Aethos, Chath and Tyrval like this.
  4. Tyrval Active Member

No, this is not what I am describing. I am saying that HOs finish and complete fine, but no damage is applied to the mob if you use a buff/non-offensive finisher. No one notices this mechanic because you have to be carefully analyzing parses to notice, as HOs still finish and any mechanic that requires HO to finish is not impacted, and any buffs are still applied.

You just aren't doing damage is all. Feel free to try it out, it's 100% reproduceable.
    Chath and Priority like this.
  5. Allumette Member

Just piggybacking onto this post to note that, in general, some of the available HO spell options really aren't anything you'd want to cast in the middle of a fight -- an "until cancelled" buff like Signet of Intellect, for instance, or a resurrection spell (Fierce Rousing).

For instance, as a coercer, one of my staff choices is charm, which is really not a spell that it will ever be convenient to cast on short notice for no actual reason, particularly since it would end up making it impossible for anyone else to cast their HO spell on the same target after doing so.

If the idea is to bring back HOs as a standard mechanic, it might not be a bad idea to go through the various lists to streamline the available options to remove those that just don't make sense in that context, as some really seem to have been chosen at random.
  6. Aethos Well-Known Member

While you're not wrong, there's almost always an option that is more ideal than what you're describing. I used to hear this complaint a lot for HO mandatory fights in VOV, particularly from healers about their death prevents. This largely comes down to making a point of being familiar with your class' icons. I have always liked HO's, so I've always been pretty familiar with them across the board, although mage classes tend to be one of my areas where I'm a bit lighter as I don't really like mages. There should always been an option that's, at least in some way, quick and typically available.

As an example, your best pick for the wand/staff is your root, and this is the case for most (maybe all?) mages. You're rarely gonna use it, so it's just about always gonna be available. Don't use charm, use root.

Don't rely on blinking icons (they're not reliable) and you will learn a lot more :)
    EmJay and Benj like this.
  7. Allumette Member

I guess I could just give in and set up a dedicated chunk of hotbar with all the least intrusive options. Now that I'm taking a closer look, candy cane is definitely the worst offender, but there's one relatively innocuous damage spell at least.
  8. Aethos Well-Known Member

Your mez will do the crook and is on a short recast but yeah that's one of the trickier ones.