Cannot Reproduce Dead and Buried in Sacred Gift 2 inconsistent

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Aethos, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Aethos Well-Known Member

Died while in a rainbow and my EYEBALLS GLUED TO MY DETRIMENT WINDOW TO MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THE RAINBOW BUFF IS ON ME half a dozen times today to Dead and Buried, and receiving the failure text telling me I'm not in a rainbow when I could plainly see it in my buff window.

It seems like this mechanic might be tied to where you are standing and is really ****/finnicky about it as opposed to being tied to whether or not you have the buff, which is probably not a good call. Unless it's just bugged, as I've not had as much trouble with it before this week with this particular mechanic.

In the past I might die to it because I wasn't quite in the right spot and I didn't quite notice, but today it was repeated cases of there is literally nothing more I can do, because I have the freaking buff and it fails me anyway.
    Avarice and Tyrval like this.
  2. Chrol Developer

I wasn't able to reproduce this, even after respawning the rainbows while standing within their spawn locations. Every time, as a fighter, I was able to survive Dead and Buried with the Memories of Growth buff active.
  3. Terrius Well-Known Member

We've seen it happen several times to both a Monk and Guardian. I do wonder though if it's something to do with having another player in the same rainbow as the tank right before the joust? As, at least when I've seen it happen, there has been a scout very close to the tank right before the joust.

Either that or it's a desync issue on AB :(
    Aethos likes this.
  4. Kaladz Active Member

Are you sure the rainbow you were in didn't disappear due to other script elements?
  5. Terrius Well-Known Member

Positive. The tank had the rainbow buff on them and all rainbows were active. This isn't a happened one time thing either, it has occurred several times, roughly 4 out of the 8 runs of Sacred Gift H2 I've been on the tank dies while in the rainbow with the rainbow buff from the Dead and Buried effect.
    Aethos likes this.
  6. Tyrval Active Member

I do sort of suspect it's from other players being near the rainbow. Our first couple runs were messy but once I was prepositioned in a rainbow and never moved during the entire kill, and everyone else is good at jousting, I've never run into it again. Maybe another player running through the rainbow in a panic trying to get away from the joust can mess it up or something?
  7. Chrol Developer

Tried again with a couple characters and I'm having no luck. (Or maybe I am being lucky by not verifying a bug?)
  8. Zhevally Well-Known Member

For what it's worth the only time our tank has died to it was when the rainbow got ate, even when other characters were running around through it.

A point of note, is the tank getting the fail effect/dying to that or are they just dying from normal damage after having their health set to 1 as part of the mechanic?
  9. Aethos Well-Known Member

Tank was getting the fail message. If I hadn't been getting the pink/red fail message (vs the green success) I probably would not have posted about it, but it was the fail message popping up that confirmed to me that this must be bugged.

I suppose this could be a Desync issue was was mentioned, but I'm kind of skeptical of that, as it was still giving me the buff regardless. Can buffs desync this way? I hope it's not specific to AB. It's possible I was technically maybe standing too far from center or something, but I still have the buff, but then the issue would be that it's checking where you're standing rather than if you have the buff (the counter text clearly states being under the protection of the buff, not where you're standing - and while they're obviously directly related, this is not the exact same meaning, and if it's checking where you're standing vs whether you have the buff, this needs to be clearly stated in the same location).

I really don't know what more I can offer. Character name in my case was Sohbek and this occurred on Sunday afternoon around 1600 EST on AB.

To reiterate, again, it wasn't general high damage ticking, it was definitely a pink/red fail message death, WITH the buff in my detriment window. It happened enough times that I started just gluing my eyeballs to me detriment window to ensure it was there, and I assure you it was, and then moments later it didn't matter, fail triggered + dead.

I can confirm I did have other people with my in my rainbow much of the time. I can't speak for how many of these (if any) succeeded or how many of these (if any) failed, though.

Obviously other people are having this issue too though. gotta nail down what's causing it. It does sound like it's relating to multiple people being in the same rainbow, possibly. Next time I run the zone I'll try having nobody stand in my rainbow and report back. No idea when that'll be though, hopefully by the weekend.

EDIT: I also wanted to note that since the previous patch (the one before today's), I also have not been having my health set to 1 the vast majority of the time when the mechanic succeeds (green text). Sometimes, but it's uncommon.
    Avarice and Terrius like this.
  10. Avarice Member

reminds me of the pressure plates in Foundation too, how oftentimes they don't work if a person moves onto one just as someone else is passing over it. It forces the person standing there to move off and back on again to stop the spinning column.

Visually different but I would not doubt they are the exact same mechanism in code. The fact it's a scout is probably incidental since healers/casters have reasons to be elsewhere (in other rainbows to stop motes for instance)
    Chath, Twyla and Terrius like this.
  11. Aethos Well-Known Member

Went in prepared to fraps this but um, we had nobody stand on my rainbow and the mechanic worked flawlessly.

There's a working theory with a few of us that failing it once may cause it to be buggy and spotty from then on, too.