Im Confused about Broker

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Fixit, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Avirodar Well-Known Member

For the sake of discussion, let's go along with the numbers you presented, that 27% of 131,023 items on the broker are listed by inactive/retired accounts, accounting for 35,376 items.

You state that your personal situation is an edge case. By definition, an edge case isn't representative of something that has value to the player base as a whole. I can even agree that some other people will be in a similar situation to you, but once again, the same edge case statement applies.

Thank you for being honest, in stating that you as an individual:
    -Do not experience lag
    -Actively play 6 accounts and 20+ alts.
    -Have a lifetime of wealth
    -Do not want to see 35000+ items delisted because something might "look cool".

I could also speculate on numbers, but as you said, it is just conjecture. What it really comes down to, is you are worried about possibly losing a diamond in the rough, where a retired account may have an item listed that can no longer be obtained via in-game means, or can still be obtained but you don't want to do such, despite having enough time to play 6 accounts with 20+ alts. I do not believe this type of edge case justifies the 35000+ additional entries to the broker database, but I get why you as an individual are not supportive of any delisting.
  2. Sweety D Well-Known Member

This has been a fun and interesting discussion. I appreciate the positive (mostly) dialogue.

It’s somewhat true that I don’t like the idea of losing the diamond in the rough. But it’s mostly true that I like shopping in general, and a large market makes for better shopping. Concerning my edge case, I’m at a point in life where I have extra time and money so I choose to pour those resources into this game. I don’t think that’s uncommon, I think there are middle middle-aged people doing the same thing. (20 year old game, I started in college) - I think my edge case is playing so many characters. I multi-box.

The reason I explain this in more detail is, I think having a large market is beneficial to more than just me. I’m not so extremely selfish that I would call for the entire game to cater to one persons play style. LOL.
    Juraiya likes this.
  3. RubyHOF Member

Do we at least agree that the items above 50M can be delisted? These are things we can't even buy even if we wanted to due to the broker cap, but they remain cluttering up everything.

All previous arguments mentioned in this thread about delisting don't apply to these specific examples.
    Twyla, Juraiya, Dude and 2 others like this.
  4. Sweety D Well-Known Member

Yes to this for sure. I have not seen 1 post that disagrees with you.
    Dude and Avirodar like this.
  5. Avirodar Well-Known Member

Same as Sweety D, I don't recall anyone making a reasonable case to keep the 50M+ listings.

I think there may have been a couple of comments about someone using maxed out broker listings as a personal trophy cabinet, and another where they used maxed out broker listings as a display cabinet for in-guild purchases (where they bid with DKP).

Neither is a good reason to keep listings over 50M, and they should be removed.
    Geroblue, Juraiya, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

They are not cluttering anything, its above what you can buy so its not hurting anything by being there.

If say, you want to buy that pack of bananas that are listed at 4 billion, you can just send a mail to the person and see if they would accept 3 billion instead.. I am pretty sure I would should you offer me 3 billion for bananas.

I would not however accept less than 1 billion, so how would you ever know I had them to sell if they weren't there.
    I suppose I could spam auction channel selling bananas every few minutes, but I respect those that may not be in the market for bananas so its not hurting anything for the bananas to stay there.

This is why they should have never put a limit on bananas.. buying or selling price, now the bananas might go bad before they are sold
    Juraiya and Breanna like this.
  7. gambitak Well-Known Member

Maybe the database server is being run on older hardware, like a Cyrix 6x86MX PR233 with a whopping 4GB of RAM.

Seriously, though, I have no idea what their database schema is and what kind of DB they use; however, if setup incorrectly, it could absolutely have issues. Yet, why they said "lag" makes no sense to me, unless the DB is transferring tremendous amounts of data, constantly, then it shouldn't have an effect on network performance. I can see CPU/memory issues, but not network - without a massive amount of DB traffic.
  8. Geroblue Well-Known Member

My opinion on the lag has nothing to do with Daybreak or any of our home computers.

It has to do with Internet providers in the US don't have to provide the speeds they advertise.

My connection via Sparklight goes from nothing, to gigabytes per second, to kilobytes per second, to nothing, etc. Over and over. There is nothing consistent about it.
    Breanna and Laaw like this.
  9. Laaw Well-Known Member

that is part of it but also the new policy of time limit 10 days, requires accounts to have more activity to keep items listed on the broker.
    Geroblue likes this.
  10. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I got that, but my day is spent mostly elsewhere.
    Breanna likes this.
  11. GrunEQ Well-Known Member

It would seem to be a better idea to just delist whole accounts that have been inactive for a year. I know there are those that might want items that can't be gotten anymore, but I'd rather move on.

A minor help with the current situation would be to at least make the NOs a different color, and only have to hit the NO to relist instead of resubmitting the list price.
  12. Siren Well-Known Member

Edit: It seems as though all my broker listings that were already up before this got patched in are still okay. So this is just for new listings from this point forward then?

Do the TLs have this restriction too, or just the free servers? I just checked some old characters on Tarinax that I haven't played in several months at least, and nothing has been delisted that I can see.

Then I checked AB, and a character I haven't played in over a month hasn't had anything delisted either. I also popped in on my old silver alt account, and nothing has been delisted on the free servers there, either, so it isn't a "subbed versus unsubbed" thing (my main account is gold).

Is it only certain of the largest crates (or the crates without broker fees) that are affected? I have the two /claimed old Veteran's Display Cases on many of my characters, but neither of those sales crates seems impacted. Sorry, just trying to figure this all out.

I will watch everything closely from now on to see what, if anything, changes over time. This is really a nuisance, though, I'll say that. I can see where anybody on the fence about subbing could be swayed to just stay silver to avoid the giant time sink of selling on the broker altogether, then subsequently fill some of their future gaming time with other games instead.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Some of mine that are the starting 4 slot no trade bags have had items delisted.
  14. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Things that were listed before the last expansion are not delisted, things listed after the last expansion are the only things being delisted after a week to 10 days.. backwards I know, but totally not surprising.
    Breanna and Siren like this.
  15. Siren Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks! Boy, this is as bad as when they stopped labeling crafting mats, eh? What a fiasco. They really should just delist inactive accounts that haven't played in over a year or six months or something. I don't think anyone could really balk at that.
    Juraiya, Breanna, Geroblue and 2 others like this.
  16. Tkia Well-Known Member

If you were to read the thread properly you'd discover that it's all servers, all accounts, all broker crates for recently listed items only.

And how many times does it need to be stated: THERE ARE NO FREE SERVERS,. only free accounts?
  17. Siren Well-Known Member

There are in fact 4 servers where you can play for free; Maj'Dul, AB, Halls of Fate and Skyfire. Subs are not required on those servers.

The rest of the servers all require a sub, so they are not free-to-play servers. This is all pretty straightforward, and really not worth derailing a thread with. :)

And an official Announcement post from the devs about the broker changes and patch problems would have cleared all this up right at the start, eh? People come and go due to r/l etc. from games all the time. An official Announcement post wouldn't have left anyone in the dark at any point.
    Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  18. Sweety D Well-Known Member

/balk :)
    Siren likes this.
  19. mouser Well-Known Member

Damn. I just got back and already hate this. I was a decorator and had tons of stuff up all the time. Gotta give people a reason to come visit my homes.

Relisting everything basically every week is not my idea of a good time.
    Juraiya, GrunEQ, Geroblue and 4 others like this.
  20. Sweety D Well-Known Member

Everyone hates this change. I’ve stopping selling because of it. I don’t need money so I was selling everything for 1 copper just to help out other players. There’s always a few items that take a long time to sell. It’s such a hassle to to re-list items that I just destroy everything now. It’s a shame.
    Juraiya, KauaiJim, Geroblue and 3 others like this.