EverQuest II Roadmap 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

ehehe a good way to keep them from swarming around you without being send to their room is to root them.
    when you're ready to have a talk to an NPC you tell them to stay and bam at least some will be out of your way,
    You simply have to remember you did that, or the poor things will cry their eyes out because master has abandoned them.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

So THATS why they stand there and watch you die.
  3. Tkia Well-Known Member

Seriously? If I have to do that before every node I harvest it would quadruple my harvesting time, not to mention what all the extra clicking would do to my hands. And what about toons with no root?
  4. gambitak Well-Known Member

I love that DBG does this. Thank you.

Are you going to have a beta for the PVP, or, will you incorporate some of the ideas that players have or submitted? I'd love to jump in the PVP section, but a player base is necessary for that to work.

Here's crossing our fingers!
    Siren and Sturmlocke like this.
  5. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

No, Tkia what I meant is, every merc and combat pet has a command (looks like an anchor) that allows you to simply park them somewhere out of the way, that way as long as you don't go too far. you can turn in your quests or harvest without your merc or your pet getting in your way.
    And when you are done you use the "follow" command.
    Pixistik, you can always call your pet when there is trouble, telling them to stay does not make them passive,
    tell them to follow and attack.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Complete with eyes, teeth, etc.... X-P

Uwk
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Mercs (I'll take your word for that ;->) and combat pets, yeah, but familiars? :-/ Granted, the only ones I use at all, really, are all shorter than my toon owner... ;->

But if you do forget and they're way back there...gah. Only hope then is Call or Recall or Get-Yer-Tuchis-Over-Here Pet command thing. X-P

Uwk
    who's since not used too many Leaper mounts with combat pets... :-/
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

pets that are not told to stay, will port to you, so don't worry about that they can't catch up with you if you bounce
    around like a cheap rubber ball.
  9. Accendo Guest

Details will be forthcoming in the merger FAQ before the merge happens.
    Siren and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  10. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Sounds like another "Soon™" answer to me
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Nah, that's for the Dx11 upgrade... :D

Uwk
    crossing kitteh fingers for the housing info FAQ being disseminated for a goodly time before it's implemented...
  12. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

Does this mean that our character will now get a much-needed MAKE-OVER too?? I think its time to modernize their looks and get rid of the SOGA models. Its time for some spa treatments.
  13. Dude Well-Known Member

Siren and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Modernizing sounds good, yeah; getting rid of the SOGA does not. I, for one, will not make an Ogre of either gender without SOGA (entirely too atrociously stupid-looking in the default), nor a male Barbarian (ditto). Other races and genders are negotiable. ;->

Uwk
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  15. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

True . . . I wont make a High elf in the SOGA model as I like the original. . . however my Half elf, Human and wood elves are all SOGA. Just glad the Freeblood and Arekyn only have one version. I still think we coul;d do with an Update on looks . . . I mean how old are these?? And . . *cough, cough* WoW *cough, cough* has done several upgrades in the the last . .what? 10 . . 20 years? Its time. . . even if you consintrate on Hair. . . new hairstyles could go a long way.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The "bones" used in animating our toons are pretty limited at the moment. To get better, there need to be more bones with more verticies. You have to remember that the kind of character makeovers people are asking for will need new character skeletons for each gender of each race, and every single piece of gear in the whole game would need to be manually overhauled to make them fit the new skeletons. And all the animations for those new skeletons would have to be updated.

In other words, this is a ton of effort for a really limited amount of return.
  17. Feara Well-Known Member

With this announcement a few of my merc’s, “common brethren” as you call them, took offense.

I’d watch your back Accendo.
    Dude and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  18. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

[IMG]
    Left vanilla - right upgrade

[IMG]
    Ocarina of time: Original left, upgrade right

Fully with you on this one, Quiarrah. Yeah, WoW did this, and even though I don't like the fact that so many mmos followed WoW's example and "lead" in so many other highly questionable ways, this would be one prime example where I have to admit that they actually did a very good job at refurbishing something that originally looked like a vanilla Half Life 1 (click meh) character by upgrading it to something that keeps the look and feel of the original intact, but in a much more modernised way. Ocarina of Time got a makeover like this too, and it looks and feels fantastic. The very first time I fired up Ocarina of Time on 3DS I had the same nostalgic feeling that the original gave me, but in a much cleaner and pleasing way. Sigrdrifa mentioned more bones with more verticie, which is what ttbobey has talked about in the link that Dude posted further above, and this is what I would consider to be the first step the right direction. Where we take it from there is up for discussion, but I fully agree with ya'll (including our own devs) that an upgrade to the bones and skelletons of our toons would a) allow for a more streamlined and optimised workforce and pipeline b) reduce the manpower needed to update things which can be used elsewhere and c) allow for better and more high profile upgrades down the line (animations, hair, textures, you name it). The first two saves the company time (time is money) and the last point has the potential to earn a bit more cash in the long run (if done right). Sounds like a fair deal to me. And iirc, ttbobey and folks have been asking for something like this for some time now, so why not listen to some of the ppl that have been around in this industry and company for decades? They have gone through the good and bad, and they're still here. I trust they know what they're talking about. Sure, you could argue that the model upgrades for EQ1 were received with mixed receptions, and it's true, ppl have mixed feelings about this, but I do think that also has to do with a lot of things. For one, some just don't like change at all, and that's ok, but then again that also goes against the idea of an ever changing and evolving live service game. Another point of hot discussion is how said chars get upgraded. For example, Luclin models are superior to the originals from a technical pov, so they got that right, but the nostalgic look and feel is off for the ppl that prefer the originals. You can fix this imo.

I believe you can combine the best of both worlds in order to actually replace or at the very least upgrade our current models without adding a third group of models on top.

Then we have the ROI issue. Sig mentions a limited amount of return (of investment), and that's a completely valid concern, but who can actually say with 100% certainty what impact this would have on existing, returning and potential new players? For what it's worth, I posted the images I made onto Steam's EQ2 community board and reception to this idea has been mostly good. The most upvoted comment on Youtube's RoR trailer is a person asking for an upgrade to our old assets / visuals etc. A few other titles have done this, some with success, others faceplanted hard. Ofc, some ppl argue that new players aren't worth it, but if that is the case, if we don't actually care for new players, why continue to support a free to play model in the first place, a model that is mainly used to cater to new players, at all? If we only care for the "known" core community at hand, we could just get rid of f2p, the cash shop and return to a fully sub based game instead (Embers Adrift). That said, I do think that a lot of folks in our existing core community would still appreciate an upgrade of this magnitude, which is a topic that has risen during a few of the gaming streams that I have been follwing lately. One of them would be Nathan Napalm's community, and everytime this topic is discussed, ppl start agreeing on it albeit with concerns for "how" this gets done in the end.

I also see some ppl saying they can't or won't continue on without the original or Soga models, or that they can't get used to anything else. Ok, so this is my suggestion, and for this to work we would need a few devs to jump in and show us what they can do: Create a demo of a few beautiful / stunning looking models by any means necessary (= whatever tools you can use to make them), even if it's just a hand drawn picture, and simply show them to us. Seeing is believing after all. Let ppl get a tiny taste of what could be, without actually announcing anything officially and before putting in the huge amount of work for something that could potentially backfire. Yes, the new stuff could look worse than what we currently have, but what IF it looks worlds better. What if the upgrades literally blow our minds in a good way? I have a vision...what if.
  19. Siren Well-Known Member

We need way more details on the new PvP-TL server. The fact that it's coming out of nowhere isn't a great sign.

Daybreak needs to stop certain guilds from running cheat programs and duping plat before it starts. They also need to prevent level locking and the griefing of new greens til they quit, as well as fix mentoring exploits for launch day as well. If they can't do these things, then they shouldn't bother launching another PvP server. It will just die a week or two after launch like Tarinax did.

They really need to use Kael Drakkel's auto-leveling in each zone to end level locking once and for all (i.e. everyone in Antonica is auto-leveled to L15, etc.)

I have a bad feeling about this. :p
    Taldier and Pixistik like this.
  20. Oblivian New Member

Can we get beastlords already , whats the point in waiting