Can we please have older flying carpet mounts.. fly?

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Pink Poodle, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Pink Poodle Maid of the Evening Storm

See title. Like the ones from Desert of Flames or the anniversary event ones.
    Sturmlocke, Dezum, Xillean and 3 others like this.
  2. Wulfen Active Member

Often over the years I have taken the time to take a screenshot of the flying SS carpet. It's handsome. I pay a lot of attention to real life carpet design, mostly Middle Eastern, tribal red wools. Most of the desert carpet designs in Maj'Dul city are... meh. Maybe EQ2 has what it considers enough flying carpets... but I do still seek good designs with intricate borders and symbols that mean something.
    Sturmlocke, Pink Poodle and Twyla like this.
  3. morderir Active Member

at least can we put them in the apparence slot when we use flying mount ? :)
  4. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Running mounts can't be used for flying mount appearance purely for mechanical animation limitations.

Before you say "But the carpet literally looks the same on ground or flying", the technical aspect still prevents it.

I know a dev said not too many years ago that they were trying to convert some of the pre-velious mounts into flying versions, but I can't speak on how that progress is coming along.
  5. morderir Active Member

in this case it " should" be easier as we have already fliyng carpet mount who fly - same for most "flying" disk/cloud/platform type mount .
  6. morderir Active Member

another possibility would be to redo flying version of these mounts ( carpet/diskl/cloud/platform) (and make them buyable /exchangable for the ones who own them ).
    Finora likes this.
  7. Taled Well-Known Member

And which of the artists skips what upcoming content to revamp old mounts for the handful of players that want to use them for appearance, to no benefit for the company?
    Arclite likes this.
  8. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

It's actually not a big deal on my end. It's a designer's call to make them fly.
    Sturmlocke, Geroblue, Xillean and 2 others like this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If the older carpets start to fly, then they have to be taken out of their content and moved to later expansions where flight is allowed, I bet.
  10. morderir Active Member

it can be a problem for progression server yes, but for standard you can adjust them the same as some other mount ( eg cavedrifter,flamme branded hamadan,crash pad).
  11. morderir Active Member

humm ..
    first i doubt it will be any skip for that kind of things :) don't fear
    second , in this it's more a "reskin" of existing animation model using the existing mount skin . Ttobey will correct me if i am wrong ;) so it "should" not use too much time to do .
    third, these can be marketplace item so benefit for the compagny. don't forget the fluff power . i spend much more db cash for mount and appareance slot than in speeding spell research :)
  12. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Add an NPC into the game who can convert the carpets and disks into flying versions, then you have two different versions.
    Geroblue likes this.
  13. Xillean Well-Known Member

I would love it so much if my lava carpet could fly :O
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

This would provide a useful workaround.

I'd honestly also like flat, not floating/flapping versions of the carpets to use as actual carpets in houses. They're mostly pretty attractive.
  15. Noknok Member

Funny, I was just thinking about that same thing today as I got a new carpet. The old ones are awesome. :)
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  16. The-Plethora Active Member

I just wish they just had slots for...
    Ground Mount
    Ground Mount appearance
    Flying Mount
    Flying Mount appearance

So all mounts are potentially useful. So many mounts are simply not used because they cannot fly.
  17. Dezum Member

It's perfectly fine to create a dinosaur that flies but absolutely not fine to make any of the coolest looking designed carpets in the game not fly. Zero consistency.
  18. Thand Well-Known Member

i wish we coudl make gliding Mounts be Apepraicen flyers . i want my Flying Squirel
  19. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

No that's not it at all. Making the old carpets fly isn't just throwing a switch. There would have to be flyable versions of the old carpets. It's just a bigger switch to throw.
    morderir and Sturmlocke like this.
  20. Ejiju Member

It'd be nice if flying mounts could use ground mounts as appearance, even if it's only while on the ground. Could just have it default to a generic disc while in flight. A big deal was made of the Stomposaurus mount we got, but it's gone completely unused because it can't be used in conjunction with a stat flying mount. Meanwhile, I'm cruising through the skies on an armored bear.