Max settings advice

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by MacLeod, Nov 27, 2022.

1. MacLeod New Member

MacLeod
    I came back to eq a few months back from many years away, I bought a mini pc to test out eq2 which plays it ok but setting can't go max, I like the mini pc for it being a compact size, there's a mini pc I want to upgrade to and I was curious if anybody knows if it can handle the game at max settings or not

Specs Beelink GTR6
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 6900HX 8 x 3.3 - 4.9 GHz, 45 W PL2 / Short Burst, 38 W PL1 / Sustained, Rembrandt H (Zen 3+)
    Graphics adapterAMD Radeon 680M, Memory: 2400 MHz, DDR5, 31.0.12029.7019
    Memory32 GB
    , Kingston DDR5-4800, 40-39-39-77, Dual-Channel, 2x SODIMM
    MainboardAMD Promontory/Bixby FCH
    StorageKingston KC3000 512G SKC3000S512G, 512 GB
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  2. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Max no, high yes
    It will run max but you will be plagued with stutter
    As good as the 680m is, its not quite up to the task of this title on max
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  3. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/eq2-on-linux-and-mac-guide.604032/

First of all, welcome back home! If that gpu is capable of doing Vulkan, I highly recommend using that PC with Linux and EQ2, see link above. Basically what this will result in is better fps / performance because EQ2 is running on Vulkan instead of the ancient DirectX9 API that it uses on Windows. Depending on your system, you can basically double your Windows fps by upgrading to Linux for this title.

From what I am seeing online, it looks like the igpu 680M RDNA2 is more or less comparable to a Geforce 1050. In the video above you can see it doing battle against the Geforce 1650, with the Nvidia being twice as fast in many games. So going by that, and considering the other specs of that new mini PC you posted, I'd say it might actually be capable of doing max settings in EQ2, but you will most likely need to cap your fps to 30 to 40 fps on Windows. Linux should perform much better on that hardware though, so I'd say it's worth a try.

Edit: Added another comparison video where you can see the AMD igpu going up against the Geforce 1050 I mentioned earlier.

Cheers