discord

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by mythicaly, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Test Taffies Active Member

I'm going to push back here... this MAY be, being used for security measures BUT... I changed my account to not be found by folks who intend me ill will and now I have to enter my phone number?! Something that is trackable and used to look up to see if a person is on discord. This request occurred the day after I signed in with my new discord account and asked for help with a login problem. I was told I had to wait ten minutes before posting a request, so i waited. Then the next day the security requirements changed. Please change it back. Or please start answering questions here and giving information here. Being required to give personal information and to access discord to get answers, when it not safe for your players is not a good thing. Also the redundancy of reporting issues, asking for help is getting a bit out of hand. It seems to me that less time repeating ourselves all over the internet (discord, forums, in game, twitter, facebook etc) would be a more positive experience for all. Thanks
  2. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

Reporting issues should always be done via the forums as there is no chance of anything being spammed away if someone is not readily available. Discord by no means replaces the official forums, it is a tool where players can interact amongst themselves in real time, ask questions and get real time answers from other players and such.

The only way you would be "trackable" in Discord by phone is from the people who run Discord. It is not public facing in any form, nor is is something we are privy to.
    Twyla likes this.
  3. Riverbear Active Member

4. Test Taffies Active Member

Hmmmm... quoted from Discord FAQ says otherwise.
    HOW DOES DISCORD USE MY PHONE NUMBER?

Discord uses your phone number for safety and security purposes. Discord also supports opt-in features like Find Your Friends, which allows you to discover friends on Discord using your phone contacts!

So yeah... it is public. If someone has your number, be it a friend or former friend they can find you.

So it would be nice if DB would remove this requirement (it is their choice to use or not) and make it easy for us as players who want to stay connected. But alas this constant kickback is frustrating. It is one thing after another. Sigh. Also why does reporting issues require the forums, they should be done in game. That is what that feature in game is for, why the repeat? There and here?
  5. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Per your post. It is a Discord opt-in feature.
    Am I misunderstanding something because unless you opt-in it isn't supposed to be public?
  6. Test Taffies Active Member

right, but entering our phone number is no longer an opt-in... it is required to post in DB discord.
  7. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a choice to input your phone number or not.

For clarity - Per discord :
    HOW DOES FIND YOUR FRIENDS WORK:

Let’s say Wumpus and Cap are friends and Wumpus has Cap's contact in his phone.
    Wumpus and Cap both are on Discord and want to find friends, so BOTH of them will need to opt-in to be discoverable via Find Your Friends.
    Angeliana likes this.
  8. Tkia Well-Known Member

This no longer seems to be the case. According to my recent experience entering a mobile number now appears to be required to even set up a discord account.
  9. Xianthia Well-Known Member

My statement was regarding EQ2 Discord. You either input your number or you don't. You can still read the posts.

Discord is a whole different can'o'worms.
  10. Tkia Well-Known Member

Agreed. But the point I'm trying to make is that anyone who has neither a discord account nor a phone can NOT still read EQ2 discord since they can't get anywhere near it without that magic phone number to set up an account.
  11. Xianthia Well-Known Member

That's a different point though than for the people that have existing EQ2 discord accounts and the posts from this thread.

My replies were more about that once you input your phone number you've "opted in" to being part of the Find your friends aspect of Discord. Which is not correct.

Discord new accounts may just fall off the wayside as people find it difficult to choose if it's worth the effort/information requirements. (based on nothing but what I'd imagine I'd go through to create new Discord accounts.)
  12. Tkia Well-Known Member

Well at the moment it seems to be only new accounts affected but if this is some kind of stepping up of discord security there's a fair chance that it will at some point get rolled out to existing accounts as well and then the problem gets worse.
  13. Miragian Well-Known Member

Ultimately, its going to come down to reading only or posting and reading on discord. Posting on it likely won't adversely effect a ton given that bugs really need to go through /bug and the forums. I've been told a few times that posting stuff on discord and expecting it to be fixed should seldom be expected. Sure, the occasional dev will look into some posted there but, it goes much better if it ends up as a bug report and entered somewhere for tracking and to put it on someone offical radar.
    Angeliana and Morukta like this.
  14. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

the problem is communication, they have a bad habit of ignoring the forums since they started the discord for giving out info and when reporting an immediate issue.
    Spritza, Dude, Tkia and 1 other person like this.
  15. Miragian Well-Known Member

Being able to read the discord without having to disclose your phone number is fine then. As far as reporting immediate issues, I can only say that, if it immediate enough for discord to work as a reporting tool, there's a good chance someone else can be expected to report it.
    Twyla likes this.