discord

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by mythicaly, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Riverbear Active Member

In point of fact, DBG selected the settings.

D a r k pa w IS the one creating and supporting the topic.

Discord simply provides security level selection options for customers.

The discord channel for EQII, is to help keep EQII customer base informed
    when game is down.
    Like updates and game disruptions.
    No other arena of merit, yet.
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

It's not the companies asking that is the real problem. It's the people handing them over without a seconf thought as to who is asking? Why are they asking? and what are they going to do with it? If people were more careful about handing over personal data it wouldn't propogate as freely as it does.
  3. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

Everyone can still see all the channels and read all the information therein, they simply will not able to post there without phone verification. So the Customer Base can still remain informed for downtimes and issues.
    Riverbear, Ayodi, Aggy and 4 others like this.
  4. Svenone Well-Known Member

There has got to be a better way than effectively muting a segment of your customers merely because they don't want/can't use a cell phone. I know it seems like everybody has a cell phone these day....but that is not the case.
    Daryx, Riverbear and Tkia like this.
  5. Svenone Well-Known Member

For those in old houses, the land line phone jack may look like 4 holes in a square pattern, approximately 1 inch apart from each other. There are adapters to connect a more modern jack to these places. Do a google search with "old phone jack" and it should show you what I am talking about.

Old phones jacks used to have 2 prongs for the phone and two prongs for power. These days both functions are combined, but even modern jacks still have 4 connectors - but two are unused.
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

No, actually they can't, since installing and setting up a discord account seems to require a phone number before you can even log in let alone get near a server channel.
  7. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

Then that is Discord, not specific to our server. If they have an account already however, they should be able to join the server and view all the channels. They just will not be able to post.
    Twyla and Forestchild like this.
  8. Tkia Well-Known Member

Indeed it is, but you need to be aware that the communication medium you have chosen isn't actually available to your entire playerbase.
    Cheallaigh and Riverbear like this.
  9. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

Discord is another choice of communication medium. It is not the only one.
    Jinksie, parissa and Aggy like this.
  10. mythicaly Active Member

my issue - as i said before- is MEDICAL, i cant use a cell, cant hold one or see that tiny bbutt screen. and i'm in canada no free phones or service i know of
    Cheallaigh and Riverbear like this.
  11. Akada Member

Interesting....

People should trust in a security system that can glitch numbers..
    People should trust in a system that save phone numbers without correct authentification, because you can only finish authentification with a code which is send to this cell number.

So I use discord only in reading mode. All fine ;-)
  12. Miragian Well-Known Member

I don't know if this helps with the free service in Canada thing:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cellphone-free-mobile-app-1.3545053

I just found but, its a bit old and I dunno if its accurate at this point.
    Riverbear likes this.
  13. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

I use the term glitched (meaning irregularity), but it could be someone inadvertently superimposed a number resulting in using your number, or someone bought your number off a list sold by the company you have your cellphone with and used it on an account. The only way to know for sure would be to contact Discord as we cannot see such things from our end. We have no access to backend user data via Discord, only their username in our channels.
    Twyla likes this.
  14. Ayodi Active Member

<To Quote R is to love them, lol>. ~Glad you are joining the forces of reason and good data! I agree also that Discord is an excellent way to communicate when in game avenues are not up. It is smart and just good business to have a hall to holler down when the phones are out ;) Again, IMHO ~ As to shutting out a significant players base with red tape......... not cool.
    Riverbear likes this.
  15. Zhevally Well-Known Member

I was trying to figure out why I was immune to this, then I remembered having an assigned role bypasses the verification requirement.
    I appreciate this as a way to help with the discord scammers and spammers(and I know this has been an increasing problem on larger servers). This would add load to workers, but is there potentially an option to add a role to discord and use that to manually "verify" people so they can bypass the phone requirement for those that either don't have or don't want to connect a phone to their discord?
    Riverbear likes this.
  16. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

That would negate the feature as a safety measure if people are able to bypass it. While we know there are ways people will be able to bypass, we will not encourage it by offering a way to do so.

The channel is readable to anyone who joins and chooses not to add their phone number. Otherwise, there are the forums or social media channels, as well as direct messages in Discord and forums to the community team available to them.
    Riverbear and Twyla like this.
  17. Riverbear Active Member

You are absolutely correct.
    Some of us meet regularly in RL to discuss your efforts and whether or not Live Servers can be salvaged.
    On a personal note, I savor not having to de-sensitize nor use politically correct dialogue at that table.
    Say it like it is and be willing to face the consequences from those in arms reach.
    That is real communication.
    Be Well.
  18. Zhevally Well-Known Member

I mean most people using discord for scams are not going to create an eq2 account as well in their quest; they'll just move on somewhere easier. So manually verifying people can work, it's just extra work for whoever is doing it, and I get not wanting to take that on when there is other options for people not wanting to add a phone.
    There's already a whole group that is exempt from the phone requirement though, through means offered by you all just not everyone qualifies for that(raid council).
    Riverbear likes this.
  19. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

I am aware those with special roles currently are exempt. However, we will not offer a special role to bypass this safety feature.

Once those who have special roles decide to leave the council, they will not longer be exempt either and will need to provide a phone verification.
    Twyla likes this.
  20. Miragian Well-Known Member

Its a shame there isn't some way to interdependently verify people and create a role for them. That would solve the issue of those that can't/don't have a phone for whatever reason.

It would involve a certain amount of overhead on Darkpaw's part and I don't know of a good way to do it.
    Riverbear likes this.