My thank you message.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sweety D, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Sweety D Well-Known Member

TL;DR: I owe a lot to EQ. Thank for you the many years of fun.

Recently my teenage daughter asked me “dad, why do you and uncle Kenny still play this silly old game.” It got me thinking…

I’ve been playing EQ since 1999 and EQ2 since launch in 2004. I’ve taken a few, multi-month breaks over the years. But for the most part I’ve been here for all 23 years, which is over half of my life. I have never been your stereo-typical gamer. This is really the only game I play. I love sports, yet I can’t stop playing EQ. Why?

So back to my daughters question. I opened an old photo album and show her photos from 20 years ago at a family reunion. The photos were me and her 4 uncles and mother all playing EQ in 1 room with 6 computers all on the kitchen table. I went on to show her many more such events over the years. My family (and some friends) have turned family events and holiday into gaming sessions for over 20 years. To this day, we still do this.

Nostalgia is certainly part of the reason I still love the franchise, but also EQ is forever connected to me and many family memories that I will forever cherish. And I genuinely feel EQ2 is the best mmo out today.

I say all this because I hope someone from the EQ team will read this and feel good about their work. I myself am a software engineer (I don’t make games), and sometimes I feel like making software is not really helping the world. Let’s be honest, you’re (we) not curing cancer. But still, you’ve given me and my family decades of fun and put smilies on many faces.

Thank you DayBreak staff, for continuing a franchise that puts smiles on people faces.
    Feara, Forestchild, Lateana and 25 others like this.
  2. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

I made sure everyone read this. Thanks!
    Feara, Dude, Forestchild and 14 others like this.
  3. Accendo Guest

He did! And yes, thank you for sharing. Love reading how you've made it a family thing which is very cool.

Feara, Rosyposy, Soara2 and 8 others like this.
  4. Gharyn Well-Known Member

I have similar feelings and memories of EQ and EQ2. For better or worse, it's part of my life. If I outlive it, I'm going to be lost.
    Feara, Forestchild, Lateana and 5 others like this.
  5. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

This post made me smile. Family and I feel the same, and reading this warms my gamer heart. Thanks for sharing! This is exactly what the ppl behind these games need, now more than ever.

If you haven't seen this already, make sure to watch this series:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmwkZBsh7hI9AmQQFoM0Mug

Love the part where they talk about the music and how much overtime was put into making these games etc. Real human beings crafting these worlds by hand.
  6. Faery Member

Same here. My husband is perplexed seeing me loving such an old game, but i've been playing ( with long stops ) since Kunark so ... I am even more grateful for the additions of features like overseer xp, now i can level my toons even alone ( i am not very good at boxing and can't play in group ). As long as there will be a little room for casual players like me i won't go anywhere else ( i love eq2 too ! )
    Feara, Lateana, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  7. Jovie Well-Known Member

Here i am with an amazingly powerful pc, complete with an nvidia 4090 card, and i play eq2 and lotro almost exclusivelly.
    Why mess with the rest when you have a wonderful world to play in?
    Feara, Lateana, Sturmlocke and 2 others like this.
  8. Sweety D Well-Known Member

Same here, I have a RTX 3090 Ti and it's overkill. But I don't care - Long Live EQ2

Side note, I think you mean 3090? Unless you broke into the Nvidia factory and stole one! :) The 4000 series is coming out October 12th.
  9. Sweety D Well-Known Member

I did not know about this. Thank you for sharing. I love this type of content. Looks like I just found a way to kill time on Mondays business trip flight!
    Lateana, Sturmlocke and Soara2 like this.
  10. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Just listen to those magical tuuuuuunes.
    Soara2 and Lateana like this.
  11. Celestia Well-Known Member

I agree, I wasn’t a gamer until this game came out, so it was my first ever MMO. I was immediately addicted. Friends have moved on and tell me how much it sucks now, but it will always be my favorite game.
    Feara, Breanna, Soara2 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Forestchild Well-Known Member

I to ENJOY Everquest 2, and have fun memories and joys of playing since 2005. I have made friendships that have endured and have last the test of time. Friends that are from the West Coast to the East Coast, and oversees too all the way to Australia. I will always be thankful for the Everquest Franschise Team. You all do and continue to produce wonderful content.

Thanks, from a grateful player, and keep up the great work.
    Feara, ttobey, Rosyposy and 1 other person like this.