The requirement for mobile phone verification for Discord is wrong

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Zinj, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Aggy Active Member

I am not understanding why this is an issue here. This is for Discord as a whole, is it not? What does EQ2 have to do with Discord?

All of this ^^^^ I have been on Discord for just as long, with my cell number, and never had issues stemming from them.
    Twyla, Angeliana and Geroblue like this.
  2. Arandar Well-Known Member

It's a security setting for a Discord server. By default, there's no verification requirements for joining a server. However, the server owner (in this case, Darkpaw) can go to Server Settings > Safety Setup and change the verification requirements. They now have it on the "highest" setting which requires members of the server to have a verified phone number registered with Discord.

Darkpaw doesn't have access to your phone number. But when you try to join the EQ2 server, they'll ask Discord "hey, does this user who wants to join our server have a valid phone number registered with you?". If you don't, then Discord won't let you join the server. In effect, it's Darkpaw's club, Discord is just being the bouncer.

What people are complaining about it isn't about Discord per se, it's about the choice Darkpaw made to raise the security level on their Discord servers to require additional verification.
    Cheallaigh and Angeliana like this.
  3. Aggy Active Member

Gotcha!

I guess every server I joined has always had that and never ran into an issue. Or the ones that did not have it quickly got it when they began to be over run by bots spamming links to scam.
    Angeliana likes this.
  4. Tkia Well-Known Member

I think you missed a primary point. None of the above is at all relevant or helpful to people who don't have, or can't use, a phone.
  5. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Reading between the lines, I think that the number of people without cell phones at this point is small enough to warrant the trade off for them. They are willing to sacrifice your access to their server in favor of higher protection. Congratulations, you are the cost of doing business.
    Dude likes this.
  6. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

This would be up to Discord to implement if they see fit.
    Twyla, Aggy and Sturmlocke like this.
  7. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

i have a cell... it just doesn't work well due to being rural and i don't have a land line, because those don't work where i live. everything here, even if i wanted to try a land line again, it isn't, it's now VOIP. without power or net i would have nothing without my lousy cell service and there is absolutely nothing i can do to change it. then we have the privacy issue, i don't had out my cell number unless i have too, scam calls are a serious issue enough in my country and i am not risking it.
    Tkia likes this.
  8. Keffin Member

I am very protective of my phone number, I get too much spam calls and text as it is. It is their rule, and I can comply or not. I chose not, so I will be one less voice on there channel.
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  9. Maviarab Active Member

This may or may not offend you, but how is any of that anything to do with Darkpaw/Daybreak? Your situation is one of an extreme minority of players who play EQ2....so...exactly why should they bend over to accommodate you? They can't please everyone. People can either input their number, use the disco derver, or you don't and don't. simple. Maybe I'd liike to dance naked through Wallmart...but guess what folks, they have rules. You either accept them or you don't and move on.

Also, again, privacy *guffaws*...you're on the net and have a cell...you have no privacy. Will people please stop being so hysterically hypocritical and naively paranoid regarding this subject.
    Aggy likes this.
  10. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Why yes, there are several computer experts here. I'm one of them. The last chance someone had of not being noticed, and posting you don't like certain things on the Internet is a certain way to get followed/noticed by the government, would be about 1950-1955.