Harvesting algorithm change

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Adeyia, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Start all over again? At least then I could have avoided spending a few days trying to get back in. I did the Adventuring version of the Spire first. Apparently the only way for me to get back is to go through and do the Tradeskill version, and then try to get through as many quests as possible to whatever point the lockout (of the realm I earned entrance to) is lifted.

Needless to say, don't make the same mistake and leave early a second time.
    Geroblue and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, apparently plan out everything far enough in advance (I recommend spreadsheets and calendars) so that doesn't happen again. X-P

Is this considered a bug or a feature? :-/

Uwk
    Geroblue and Jesaine like this.
  3. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Deliberately designed in, just like the problems with the Deino ride and access to parts of the VoV TS sig line
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Geroblue like this.
  4. Denmum Developer

You absolutely should NOT be locked out of Obulus Frontier. In addition to on-foot zoning spots from within Kunark, there is the Cae'Dal Star port object that should port you to the zone. It ports you to one of two spots within the zone. Many published port houses tend to have them, as well as many guild halls, if you don't have a claim item for your own.

Partway through the crafting line you will get access to the Twark Transport Totem as well, but there are/should be several ways to access Obulus Frontier. If this is not the case, you will need to provide (in a separate thread, please) full details on what quests you have completed in the Kunark Ascending lines (adventuring and crafting), what methods of zone access you have tried, what error messages you are getting, and so on. From this commentary I can't tell what is going on, as there's nowhere enough details.
  5. Arandar Well-Known Member

I'd argue that gating content that is 5+ years old is not great, no matter how many workarounds there are. There is zero reason that any player who owns the current expansion should not be able to fast travel / access any older zone immediately and there should be no prior expansion prerequisites for anything in lower tier content.

I understand there may be people who talk about the lore and how it makes things consistent and whatever. But from a design and mechanical perspective, it's an awful choice for designers to make. And to be clear, I'm not advocating any of those old quest lines be removed. If people want to do them, great; but no one should be forced to run through old content to get benefits from or access to anything that is relevant in the current content.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  6. Denmum Developer

1) never that I saw was it mentioned that fast travel was the issue, only that they could not zone, despite many ways of getting to that content. If there is a problem specifically with fast travel, then it needs to go into a /bug so that the proper person can look at the fast travel requirements and see what can be done.

2) this truly is getting very off topic and if you wish to discuss it further, please do start up a separate thread for it (but it isn't a tradeskill issue, so putting it in the tradeskill forum isn't going to get the attention of someone who can directly fix it. I'd recommend the zones forum.)
  7. Tkia Well-Known Member

Anybody can zone into Obulous Frontier at any time using the tunnel in Jarsath Wastes. But I would recommend having a flying mount to do it if you don't have the Iksar faction.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That does sound like the issues Jesaine is having might be due to a bug. :-/

Frankly, I hope so, and that it is something that can be fixed, for all our sakes! :)

Uwk
  9. Tkia Well-Known Member

From what I read the only problem Jesaine is having is looking for a magic backdoor that doesn't exist instead of just going through the front door.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Denmum like this.
  10. AOE1 Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with the idea that older content should just be given away with no prior pre-requisites for anything in lower tier content. If you are a higher level than the content then doing the pre-requisites are basically just a little time and effort. If they did what you said, then why not just give everyone everything they want to start with. We all had to work our way through it, old or new content. IMHO, so should everyone else.
    Breanna, Tkia and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Jesaine Well-Known Member

You realize what you're effectively advocating is returning to have to use the ships to get to different zones, and having to do all those crazy access quests, right? :D Easier access to lower level content, for better or worse, has been a quality of life "improvement" for ages.
  12. AOE1 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. I am suggesting that just giving away what everyone else had to work for just seems wrong. If I go to a new game I expect to have to earn my way up, not get everything handed to me because I am playing in, what to them is old content, but to me is new content. But to say you do not have to do the tradeskill or signature lines to get a wanted/needed item is another. If it is old content, it should be fairly easy to do and since grey mobs generally do not attack, most can simply be a walk-through. It depends on your level and the zone. Perhaps I should have said "I have to disagree with the idea that ALL older content should just be given away with no prior pre-requisites for anything". I took that to be what the request was for. Doing away with having to do any of the old content. Instead, just fast travel and go.
  13. Jesaine Well-Known Member

OK, this is something I SHOULD have replied to a good sooner. Real life has been utter crap lately however. Defrauded on a home purchase where the house wasn't worth the land it was built on, The state of Georgia saying it's fine because that's just capitalism at work, the bank foreclosing on the house, and I'm recovering from a bout of COVID. So, for all those who have had to deal with my sour mood here lately, there have been reasons for it. I'll try to do better moving forward.

OK, excuses offered... Here's the clarification: First, I did forget about the cave passage. The Cae'Dal star... Well, you have to have purchased Kunark Ascending's more expensive versions to get that. I'm presuming you mean the one in Thalumbra however. No it didn't work, because you have to get several steps into the quest series in the Obulus Frontier before it will unlock.

For the record, I'm NOT advocating for easier access to anything. My gripe is that once we earn something (access to a zone, or flight as another frequent example), we shouldn't have to earn it again. In this specific instance, once we've done all the leg work leading up to and getting through Arcanna'se Spire, that should be enough to unlock the Cae'Dal star in Thalumbra.

As a side note, it'd be nice to see some of those previous Xpac items like the Star added to the Marketplace or Loyalty vendor.
  14. Jesaine Well-Known Member

I don't really disagree with you. I'm just saying the Genie has been out of the bottle for quite a few years. Remember what getting around was like in the early days of the original game? People whined about having to play the game to the point that fast travel everywhere is all but a given, and considered a quality of life "right".

Anyway, Denmum's earlier post was right in that the thread has been completely derailed. As I said in my reply to her, my gripe is that once I earned my way there through the quest series (not just sneaking via the tunnels), that should be enough to earn full access. Instead we have to get half-way through the series on the other side before we earn that.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yes to both! ;)

Folks that are worried about it, well, we should earn the "working" Star (maybe without so many necessary redundancies :-/), or just maybe have access to a cool non-working version from the Loyalty Vendor, like the various Druid Rings and li'l Flight Tower souvenirs we could get way back when, when we opened up such things to public use again. ;->

Uwk
    Jesaine likes this.
  16. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Wrong Tkia, and that's why I ignore most of your posts. All you ever do is attack anyone who has the slightest issue with the game or suggests any improvement. Try listening more and judging less. You might just become a better person in the process. NOW, I'll just ignore ALL your posts
  17. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Actually the druid rings and the model griphon tower are available from the Loyalty Realtor. No sign of the Dragon Ring though. I have one character that earned that during the initial event. The realtor has alot of the smaller awards from over the years, just nothing big like the Cae'dal Star, or going WAY back, the baby dragon house pet that came with the initial release's collector's edition (still have mine).

IF such items were made available, I'd expect them to be appropriately expensive compared to the smaller rewards like the Pick of the Underfoot. Hopefully they'll be made available eventually.
  18. Tkia Well-Known Member

Don't be ridiculous. All he's saying is that maybe if you log into a game you should probably try actually playing the game instead of screaming for shortcut after shortcut, otherwise what's the point? If that's too hard for you maybe you should go download another phone game and play that instead?
    AOE1 likes this.
  19. Tkia Well-Known Member

You don't have to earn anything again since from your own posts you aren't yet far enough through the questline to have 'earned' anything. If you were you'd have the teleport totem in your bag. The Spire is not an access of any kind it's simply a quest zone you were sent to and now you've finished that quest you can't get back there. Fairly normal behaviour. Being ported from there to the beach wasn't earning any access either it was just a convenience given to save you having to travel there the long way round. The zone in tunnel is always there. It doesn't have to be earned and it doesn't get taken away. You can use it any time you like whether you're doing the quests or not.
  20. Denmum Developer

I'm not going to address all the sniping going on other than to ask that everyone take a step back and think about your tone before you post. The last few years have been especially hard on us all.

I'm sorry RL has been stinking for you.

There is some naming/access confusion here still.

What is wayyyyy out there in Thalumbra as a teleporter is not the Cae'Dal star - it is meant mostly as a means of access for the Arcanna'se Spire for questing. Yes it has specific quest requirements to access it because it is meant mainly for a couple specific quests/instances. It is not meant to be your primary means of getting to Obulus Frontier as it is really the Very Long Way around.

The tunnels are the main overland way to get to Obulus Frontier.

The Cae'Dal Star is a /claim item. As I mentioned before, it IS a claim item, and if you don't have one and your guild doesn't have one, there IS one in every published Cloudrat Dojo Global Travel house in the dev picks category of the leaderboards. The late Cloudrat was great about putting in a ton of port items items. (You won't find the last couple of expansions worth of claimed port items in there due to her passing away a few years ago, but the star is definitely there.) So, to get to Obulus Frontier from any other overland zone, you /house_ratings, go to the dev picks category, go to her travel dojo and click on the gold and green Cae'Dal Star on the right-hand side of the first room and boom, you're there.
    Breanna, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Dude like this.