If I Was New Player, I'd Quit

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Almee, May 31, 2022.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

I spent over 2 hours, today, trying to get 2 arcaniums so one of my characters could do the Thurgadin tradeskill quest line. This wasn't the first time I'd been out looking for arcanium--I've been out a number of times.

In three weeks I've been able to find one, of the two arcaniums needed, despite having 700 in mining plus cloak, etc. I found 4 lumicites, which are nice for making the Maldura wormhole, but not necessary to complete the TS line necessary to be able to do the KA quest to get the goblin garden.

I figure I've spent somewhere between 4-8 hours looking for arcanium and I don't think most new players would be willing to do that. Because even with Pegasus, cloak, etc., most players doing the TOT TS line aren't going to reach 700 in mining plus whatever else I get from my accessories.

I have tried different days, different times, cherry picking, not cherry picking, and different lengths of time harvesting in one session. Maybe there is a secret to getting arcanium on AB that I'm not privy to as a new player on the server. All I do know is that if I was a new player, who needed to complete the ToT TS sig line, to progress in the game, I'd probably quit after this. There are too many games out there that don't have this level of frustration built into them.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

There are a bunch for sale on the broker.
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  3. Almee Well-Known Member

Lol, the cheapest one is 1,100p. The next cheapest is 6,500p. I have 4 characters that need arcannium and I don't dupe plat or raid.
  4. Melkior Well-Known Member

Sell shinies or other rares. I think you play on Maj Dul. If these toons happen to be on Skyfire, let me know I can help. I always keep some of those on hand for making the Automated harvesters. You could also send out Pack Ponies or goblins for that tier.
  5. SirNaves New Member

Love that energy my dude. GGs
    Jaden and Soara2 like this.
  6. Almee Well-Known Member

I was able to harvest the arcannium today. But it shouldn't have taken so many hours over 3 weeks.

If I couldn't find arcannium, at 700 in mining (plus accessories and max harvesting AAs), I shudder to think of how long it would take someone who is only 500 in mining. And if they are new to the game, and don't know about all the temporary quirks that can pop up, I think it would be a too much to take. I was pulling my hair out because I have 8 characters to run through ToT so they can get their goblin gardens.
  7. Tkia Well-Known Member

! just stripped a toon down to a little over 500 mining and spent an hour to get 4 arcannium and 3 lumicite, which doesn't seem unreasonable. It's just RNG which can be patchy. I got the first 3 aecannium within 20 minutes a lumicite in the next 10 minutes and then nothin more until just before the end of the hour. Having them show up in batches like that is fairly normal in my experience. It's like buses.You don't get any for an hour then 6 come along at once.

The only other factor I can think of is that the stones are very hard to see in that terrain so you could waste a lot of time looking for the nodes, I used track harvestable to find stones to get around that Doing that you do occasionally run out of any on track in the safe area then you either have to wait for some repop or venture further out into the agro areas, but there's a pretty constant supply. I've done these quests on multiple toons and never felt it to be a problem. I normally have the rares I need before I max out my harvesting skills for the tier.
    Soara2 likes this.
  8. Melkior Well-Known Member

Only tihng I'd add Almee, is it is extremely unlikely a new player would start off in ToT. If they boost, they will skip past it. If they level up normally it will take them a bit to get to that content.
    Soara2, AOE1 and Twyla like this.
  9. Almee Well-Known Member

That is possible, but in order to get the goblin garden you have to do ToT tradeskill line to get the quest for the goblin garden. That is generally a good way to get the higher-level rares needed for the VoV TS timeline.

Harvesting rares is patchy, at best, which makes the garden goblin a more reliable source. And for decorators, rares are needed to make many of the more desirable pieces of furniture. I don't believe I've ever gotten a rare from the goblin but I have gotten them from the pack pony, the goblin garden, and Overseer quests. Going out, and trying to harvest them myself, is incredibly frustrating in some zones such as VoV, ToT, and the lvl 40 zones.
    Soara2 and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  10. Maviarab Active Member

You keep making ref to max this, 700 that, Pegasus etc etc...be curious to know what your actual rare % chance is. You could have a mining skill of 500 (quest req) and it will not affect it in the slightest, that only affects how many times you see 'nothing found' if under skilled for an area.

Might be worth while looking into increasing that rare % chance instead.

To add, there are obviously a lot of other factors, RNG and others. The goblin on my main is never to useless for bringing back rares, on the other side of the equation, the Goblin on another character brings back more than I care to count. Same with the Ponies. All that aside though, 3 weeks without would suggest perhaps more something you may be doing as statistically, those odds are pretty near impossible by themselves.
    Soara2 likes this.
  11. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Rare harvest chance was nerfed altered to give a boost not to your overall chance of harvesting a rare, but to the base chance of you harvesting a rare. For example, you have 100 rare harvest chance, the base chance is 1% for arguments sake, congrats, you now have 2% chance. So actually, rare harvest chance gear is now barely worth the effort to equip it. I'm sure this change was done to make harvesting a more fulfilling and enjoyable experience. If only the mechanics dev had a clue what fun is... Oh well.
  12. Denmum Developer

Ever since this last GU, the quests for the garden will also unlock if you complete the VoV crafting line, so you do not have to complete the Captain's Lament line so you can do the Thalumbra line, so you can then do dozens of Kunark Ascending quests just to unlock the garden quests. This will allow players who have skipped over several crafting lines an alternate way to obtain the garden.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks! :D

Uwk
    Soara2 likes this.
  14. Yenk Active Member

Yes, before this GU we had to complete 64 quests to get the plant. I've gone through this ordeal four times.
    Thanks again to Niami Denmother. :-*
    Rosyposy and Soara2 like this.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting; however, this account has VoV and hasn't received 'the Receive in the mail a Teal Batik Tapestry with the subject "Were is the Messenger: Local Living", you can read the letter in any zone.'

So, do I have to do the Reign of Shadows crafting line to get the letter so I can start the VoV crafting line ?

Edit: Oops. It wouldn't be Nejiara anyway, as she is crafting 110.

I'll have to check Zargoh on skyfire's mail as he is 120 crafting level.
    Breanna, Rosyposy and Soara2 like this.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Well, Zargoh isn't 120 crafting, he is 120 adventuring. Ah well, maybe I can get it done on another account next paycheck.
    Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  17. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Goblins get them if you send them out for 100 level mats, which I had to do on test for a while, since my luck harvesting was like yours. Also good to send them out for level 40 mats for proof of pudding rares for a while before you get the plant
    Breanna likes this.
  18. Soara2 Well-Known Member

19. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Good to hear that
    Breanna likes this.
  20. Geroblue Well-Known Member

on Maj'Dul is: Anudeoaea, Ewkohnah, and no adv/craft 120 on Skyfire. Hmmm. Well, a bunch of 110s.
    Breanna likes this.