What did you do to mitigation tanks since last week?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Spectre, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Spectre Active Member

I am not a hardcore raider by any measure with my guardian, but I usually die very little in Spirits of the Lost. We did it last night and I died 19 times with the same healers (3) and dirge. I could not even hold Venekor for more than a few seconds (killed him before).

Any comments from mit tanks having the same issues?
    Any updates from the developers?
  2. Arandar Well-Known Member

We ran SotL last night and I didn't notice any difference. The only thing I could suggest is reviewing logs. If you were getting hit with higher than expected damage, I'd suspect missing debuffs.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  3. Bekkr Well-Known Member

There was a lot of chatter in a pick up raid today about debuffing combat mitigation (or not). Lots of folks at the moment seem to feel like it's a good idea to not do any debuffing because combat mit isn't working properly. Not sure if that's related to your issue, but maybe?
  4. Arandar Well-Known Member

One theory is that if the combat mitigation for a raid boss drops below zero, it has some kind of inverse effect and reduces their incoming damage. But if people are interpreting that to mean they shouldn't cast stat, haste and dps debuffs at all ... yeah, that's going to make things really ugly.
    Jesaine and Arielle Nightshade like this.
  5. Bekkr Well-Known Member

Yeah, the problem is, at least to my knowledge, any skill that debuffs combat mit also debuffs other (important) stuff. Even if that theory is true (it's also the one I've seen put forward), raid mobs are still easier to kill (and less dangerous) with those debuffs on them than not, regardless of what combat mitigation is doing. So the whole thing is irrelevant anyway.

Just push your buttons and don't worry about it.
    Arandar likes this.
  6. Arandar Well-Known Member

Very true. Dead tanks tend to lead towards zero DPS.
  7. Zenji Well-Known Member

Not sure I would call the combat mit bug irrelevant.

Unless you are the type who just pushes buttons and doesn't worry about it.
  8. Yayoh New Member

I made this comment by pushing buttons and not worrying about it.

Can confirm!
    Bekkr and Dude like this.
  9. Arandar Well-Known Member

The general idea is that if you have a debuff which lowers physical mitigation and combat mitigation, it's a good idea to not cast that on a raid boss (edit: until the problem is fixed). But if that combat mitigation debuff is tied to something that reduces outgoing damage from the boss, then you absolutely still want to use it.

I think the point Bekkr was making there is that you have some players who really just aren't very aware of what their abilities specifically do. There are buttons they're told they should push, and now they're hearing that pushing those buttons could be a bad thing, so they're not pushing buttons.

I suspect the vast majority of players so actually fall into the "push buttons" category, so telling them to just keep pushing those buttons is, on balance, going to be a net positive. Telling them they should read tooltips probably won't get you as far.
    Bekkr likes this.
  10. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Those people aren't killing anything that difficult to begin with, so the advice is mostly moot for them anyway. If, however, you're trying to do fights with DPS checks, or contested content, it absolutely is not irrelevant.
  11. Bekkr Well-Known Member

If you're killing contested Vox, sure, but I was in a pug Darathar raid on an alt the other day, and we failed several pulls due to everyone hollering about combat mit. Once we got people to use their debuffs again, it went fine and we killed it.

When pug raid "leaders" tell people to not use anything that debuffs combat mit, it is bad advice, generally. It's reductive and results in the mobs being harder than if you hadn't told people anything at all. That specific set of bad instructions is what I was referring to as irrelevant.
    Arandar likes this.
  12. Spectre Active Member

I don't do PUGs with my guardian.
  13. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right. It's hard enough even in an organized raid. I can't imagine it would even be possible in a PUR.