An alternate idea to Hunters on Varsoon

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Fantasy_Splitpaw, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Fantasy_Splitpaw New Member

Hello,

As many people here, I am a returning player from before a time when Hunter quests existed, so at first I was unsure what to think of them.
    Now that I have more experience with them, I can count myself among the large group of people who really dislike the current implementation: the gear is stupidly overpowered (higher damage rating than some KoS fabled weapons) and lacks identity. It is also lore-breaking (crossbows never existed in the game when I played it) and because of the blown-up stats out-of-progression.

So allow me to propose an alternative idea:
    Turn hunter quests into quests using the same principle of the current dailies with coins you can use to purchase gear, but replace the current Hunter rewards by items that are already in-game and that your character has access to. Use the achievement system to check which raid/heroic zones your character has done before, and which named were killed and thus which loot the character has access to. And then use those Hunter quests to 'hunt' for the elusive drops that your character was unlucky with so far, for various reasons (being outbid by others with more dkp, or just bad RNG on NBG rolls for example).
    That way, characters can complete their build with items that are in-line with progression (because they already exist in the loot table of mobs they are already actively 'hunting').
    And with this system, people are also encouraged to play at their highest level so that they gain access to the loot table of mobs they haven't killed/'hunted' before. And it may alleviate frustrations/drama concerning loot in guilds and PUGs.
    On top of that, people who feel they are already geared and have everything they need in every slot, won't feel "forced" to log in and grind the quest daily - FOMO is real. It just gives people options...

Open for discussion of course, and perhaps this will find enough traction for someone at Daybreak to consider this idea...

- Laneth -

TL;DR: Turn Hunters into a catch-up mechanic instead of how they work currently
    Sixgauge, Sunlei and Finwen like this.
  2. Reid New Member

I agree with this. I think they are massively overpowered compared to existing raid gear in the tier. I would like to see them tuned down to be on the same power level as existing gear. If it's a matter of needing the daily because there isn't enough content to keep people logging in otherwise, then perhaps the expansions should be shortened to 3 months instead of 4.
  3. Zenji Well-Known Member

Odd I thought we were in T5, so how do you know what KoS Fabled weapons damage ratings will be?

Hunter Items are designed to be > or = quality of the next raid tier. So you will want to be use them through the first half of the next expansion until the next set of Hunter's come out.
    Tharrakor and Arielle Nightshade like this.
  4. Kellindil New Member

Just remove ****** dailies from the game. It has turned EQ2 into WoW. People login and grind dailies on their 3-5 lvl 50 Alts then logoff.
    Bekkr and Goozer like this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

So you're saying that there is only one good reason for people to log in each day and you'd like to remove that one reason?
    Lenarr, Zenji and Tharrakor like this.
  6. Kellindil New Member

There is one perceived good reason, there are plenty of actual reasons. People just now find it easier to run dailies and then do something else to stack up on coins to buy completely over powered items because they can do that leisurely instead of putting in any kind of actual effort raiding.

It's a mechanism for the lazy to be lazy and still keep up with progression.
  7. Arandar Well-Known Member

I can say with some certainty that people who were raiding have not stopped raiding because they can get two high quality items. "Hey guys, I can do these quests for a month and get a couple of bis items, so you know what? I'm done with this whole raiding thing. It's leisure time for me!"
  8. Gonzo Joe New Member

Freddie_Mercury and Tharrakor like this.
  9. Revekk Member

Some people say we need these Hunter's Quests because people are bored and now there is something to do. For some people that may be true, but in my experience every time these come on the TLEs the server takes a HUGE hit to population,

IMO Hunter's brings the worst of the live servers to TLE. Repetitive things we feel obligated to do that earn coins that buys equipment better than we can get playing together doing what we've been doing for the previous (8 weeks.)

These daily things feel like a job. A job that I am paying a company to let me do.

Dailies, mercs, and stupid coin currencies is why I quit Live many years ago.

I want to be positive about it and say "do them if you want to do them", but there is no denying that every time these come out and there are 1/3 to 1/2 the players logged in. It's not my imagination. I see it every time on every progression server and it just depresses me that there are less friends to play with.

I'm still here but I miss the people that won't bother to log in.
    Bekkr likes this.
  10. Kellindil New Member

People haven't stopped raiding completely, but they have stopped playing outside scheduled raids for their main and hunter dailies on everything else.

People who wanted to progress on some alts as something to do between raids on their main now have a much less time intensive way to do so. Where people were logging in and running Alts through Nek2 and Icy every day and PUG raids were happening often, now those same people only do hunter dailies.

People are playing less because there is less of a need to do so outside main raids twice a week (for most) and your hunter dailies. So anyone that is trying to gear a main can't find the groups they need for quests (Icy Dig Cloak) and gear.
    Sixgauge and Goozer like this.
  11. Arandar Well-Known Member

So basically, you're upset that people aren't playing the way you want them to in order to progress your alts. Got it.

"Guys! Guys! What are you doing? I have 14 alts who need their Icy Dig cloaks and you're wasting my time running Hunter dailies instead of repeatedly clearing content we did six weeks ago. Get cracking would you? I don't have all day!"
    Tharrakor likes this.
  12. Goozer New Member

It's funny, all the arguments in favor of dailies are just straw-men and ad-hominem... that tends to be because they know they're wrong.
    Bekkr likes this.
  13. Goozer New Member

I can always count on this guy for the dumbest, yet also most arrogant comments.
  14. Spectre Active Member

Just make the tokens heirloom... thanks
    Bekkr and Tharrakor like this.
  15. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

This is the dumbest idea ive ever seen. The carrot is what's making people run them. Also very petty i might add, not everyone who doesnt raid doesnt because of "lazyness". Id love to raid, but i am an EU player who often work evenings, there arent any raidforces out there i could commit to. What would i pick as a reward from hunters? Another Zig's Wing perhaps? I dont think so, the carrot is then not worth the trouble and id again find myself lacking any motivation to log, just as before hunters.

I have lvled all the alts i could possibly want, infact ive lvled a few to 50 incase i wanna play em in later expansions due to boredom and im sure im not the only one who has finished lvling his alts. So stop blaming hunters for you not taking advantage of the very long exp bonus like most others did.
    "But muh raidgear is worse its not fair", its TWO item slots, come on!
  16. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

If your comments in the other thread are anything to go by, you are in absolutely no position to be calling out other peoples' comments as dumb. You seem to have this weird obsession with how others play the game, and whilst simultaneously having no clue about how most other people actually play the game. It makes me wonder if you've even played on a TLE server before, since if you had, you'd realize why your reasoning is flawed.
  17. Zenji Well-Known Member

Coming from the guy who one post earlier was crying about ad-hominem.
    Imagine going full circle in just 2 posts. ;)
    Dude, Arandar and Tharrakor like this.
  18. TheGreatGatsby Active Member

We see multiple SOTL and pug Deception raids weekly. You see less people doing things on their alts because we just had 2.5 weeks of double xp. People leveled their alts then.

People are also playing less because, surprise surprise, we're at the halfway point of the first expansion. The midcontent isn't exactly time consuming to complete and then it's just another thing to add to your farm rotation. Anecdotally, without hunters and without the need to keep up with my crafting for profit, I'd be raid logging too. Your mileage may very but I'd be very willing to bet that, at least to the raiding core of the game, this is accurate for the majority.

To the OP: I don't dislike your idea, but it also wouldn't incentivize me to keep playing. There's very few pieces that could be upgrades for my character at this point from the current available gear, and it would be upgrading from like a 0.6 potency 16 ab mod item to a 0.7 potency 17 ab mod item. I personally wouldn't put myself through the monotony of Hunters for this kind of upgrade. I am absolutely willing to do it for the current Hunter's gear though, so the carrot is definitely working.
  19. Mankar Active Member

Any reason to expect that items linked in game wouldn't be accurate though? Pretty sure on Kaladim when you linked items before an expansion came out, they pretty generally stayed the exact same on release. At the very least they were very close. Dunno if that changed with this server.
  20. Zenji Well-Known Member

Especially the earlier expansions, even on Kaladim the items changed substantially. Probably even more so with how much adjusting they are doing this time around.