Do you mention if a DPS in your group isn't putting out much damage?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Xeshaka, Jul 2, 2022.

1. adaria Member

this is not a competition. Its also not a solo game. theres plenty of games like that. this is a social game. A mmo RPG (role playing game). A game where classes depend on each other to do well. I hate seeing random parses. I think its sets a wrong mood for the group. changes a fun social game into a job because now someone critiquing. I just think this "best" dps attitude is rediculous. nobody is great dps or anything else without the support of the group. go solo with no heals, no buffs, no debuffs, no dmg shields, no haste, no power feeds etc etc etc then parse yourself.
    I doubt ACT includes the times necros & conjs are casting hearts & shards or when the dirge is debuffing or when the illy is dmg shielding the tank etc etc. Can healers out DPS? omg roll a fury and see. Even a SK can out dps most classes and shes a tank but she has 4 blue aoes at lvl 50. dps classes play many more roles in a group than just dps. On some dps toons im casting 2 or 3 buff/debuff or helper type or dmg shield spells before i even cast the 1st dmg spell. thats how it goes. maybe you want all dps to stop debuffing and damage shielding etc so they can parse better? but without them doing all that other stuff your parse will suck.
  2. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Irrelevant, this thread wasnt about any necro or conju having a slightly worse parse every now and then.
    The question is, if you do not care about your personal contributation to the group, then why do you care about parses being posted in chat for who ever does care? If you do not care about the subject of the critizism then the critizism should be irrelevant to you.
    Some people just cant handle any kind of critizism, but if someone posts a parse and doesnt say anything about it and you find yourself far down there and you feel bad about that, then thats you critizising yourself and you do care. So do something about it then, otherwise just ignore it and go on with your day
    Zenji likes this.
  3. Tkia Well-Known Member

Not irrelevant at all. The original question was basically 'should I take my parse at face value and act on it?' and many of the posts here are trying to explain why the parse is not a god. does not show the whole picture and should not be acted upon without adequate consideration of the circumstances. And I don't want it spammed at me because when I'm in the middle of trying to read something in chat there's nothing more annoying than having it suddenly ganked away from me by a large block of irrelevant trash.
    adaria, Siren and Auria like this.
  4. Zenji Well-Known Member

Disagree.
    Nothing more annoying than people thinking they are entitled to play a multiplayer game extremely poorly while remaining free of criticism.
    Tharrakor likes this.
  5. Klownage New Member

I dont think many people perform poorly out of malice or just trying to get a free ride through what ever. I think it is just a lack of gear. Ive been grouping alot on TLE and its shocking the amount of people who have empty slots, level 10-30 gear, or are missing basic HQs (FBSS and GEBs). After inspecting people I may suggest places for the to get missing gear but wont straight say they are doing bad or anything like that. One person in the group under geared? Meh what ever but when you get group after group with half or more lacking... it turns something quick and simple like hunters into a total drag and its not very fun.

Edit TLDR I wouldnt put it that bluntly I would try and suggest improvements for the person and see how that goes... I try my best not to upset anyone lol
  6. TheGreatGatsby Active Member

I don't say anything, but I've been in groups where I've had to go because "something came up" when in reality the combined dps of the group in nek2 was sub 1k.
    Arielle Nightshade and Zenji like this.
  7. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

Again, I don't hassle someone about their dps numbers ever. That said I don't appreciate someone who posts as looking for group and when they get that group, they show up with empty slots, and at 70%, ie. almost broken on the few items they do have.
    ... You asked to be in the group, show up ready to go, getting something even a subpar something if it's all you can get, for each slot is Not That Hard.
    ... To me at least, asking for a space in a group as heals or dps or even as the tank, means to me you are ready to fill that role at least adequately.
    On the tle I was in a varsoon group, which at this point on a TLE almost everyone still has that rotten gear item or two and some apprentice level spell or two or both.
    I was there as a fury to heal, the off healer was a defiler that needed more heal points than the tank and he still kept dying, no matter what I did.
    Turns out he showed up mostly naked ...nothing but a couple rings and some out leveled weapons, he said "I have bad luck on dungeon dice rolls" I gently suggested "oh you can get items questing or trade skilling "... the defiler's answer. ..."eww yuckie"..
    if I had been group lead, I would have kicked them, but I wasn't, and I kept my mouth shut.I did however stop healing the defiler. Strangely, he left shortly after that on his own. we picked up a dps to replace and stopped having any deaths in the group.
    I don't put much faith in parses, but I do put a lot of stock in 'be as prepared as you can' and 'do your best for the group'.
    Tharrakor likes this.
  8. Laalon2 Active Member

Just post the parse in group chat every other fight. Usually that'll change the way ppl play
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Exactly Flightrisk.
    People who arent pulling their weight in a group are the ones being selfish. A summoner, sorcerer or predator is in a grp to dps, if they arent dpsing then they arent filling their role. Its as simple as that. People can argue debuffs or dark hearts or whatever as much as they want but the wizards debuff has a base cast time of 1sec, and after that the wizard himself also deal more dmg, its not an argument.
    Bards can spend quite a few seconds debuffing, but nobody was talking about bards anyway as they arent a "dps class"
  10. Fuzion New Member

A group is only as good as their weakest linik. Being that this is a social game, which to me means a place to have fun away from hectic real life, it becomes daunting to have others jump down your throat when you're trying to have fun, which in turn is what adds to social anxiety and makes it difficult to do pick-up groups.

I feel that it's okay to let a person know that they're under-performing. It helps to prepare them for working with others. BUT to fall into naming and shaming is detrimental to the individual on the receiving end. It's much better to send a tell to the person and see if they're receptive. If they're open to help, offer to help them outside of the group after offering a couple of fast pointers to help within the setting.

It's all about tack. I feel like many players don't empathize beyond the keyboard, and are quick to judge and jump down throats. Being nice and helpful will draw players out and get them into wanting to improve their play style faster than naming and shaming. If they aren't receptive, add to your do-not-group list and move on.
  11. Tkia Well-Known Member

So true. If you do that in a group with me you go on the ignore list and stop getting heals.
    adaria likes this.
  12. Laalon2 Active Member

If you post the parse like I suggested or if you're not doing much dps? Lol
  13. Lenarr Member

Some people don't want to know that the defiler in a group is not only keeping the group healed, but also doing more dps than a wizard or warlock. Yes it does happen. I never post parses in groups, unless it's a guild group and people want to know, but it does get tempting sometimes.
  14. Sprok Active Member

Honestly there is no point, I could see the need to mention it if you join PUGs as a healer or tank and nothing is dying. However most of the competent DPS players can just do enough for the whole group, and the mobs still die fast enough in most zones no one will be able to tell the difference.
    Jesaine likes this.
  15. Jesaine Well-Known Member

I didn't read the entirety of the thread here but I'm glad that at least most of the replies I saw are dead set against the idea of calling out people. Posting parses and such... That's just hyper-competitive and elitist. Somebody may be new to the game, new to the class, not have the same level of gearing as the rest of the group... There's alot of reasonable explanations here.

Discreet offers of help are far better than tantrums and posting parses.

I've been MMO gaming since EQ1 launched and the only times I've ever called anybody out is if they're blatantly sandbagging (standing around in the middle of multiple fights), or run off and do their own thing. Even then, I've tried to do it politely.

This hyper-competitive, we don't want you in our group unless you're in the top ten on the server stuff is garbage. It's taken over too many games.
    adaria and Elskidorr like this.
  16. Sharmillie New Member

I wouldn't say anything cause I honestly don't think ACT is 100% accurate. I was in a group in ffxiv and I'm very good at playing my role but this guy kept saying i wasn't putting out damage. I was so baffled and he kept accusing me of being afk when i was throwing out damage left and right...it made absolutely no sense
  17. Zenji Well-Known Member

I wonder how much overlap there is between those who disapprove pointing out a DPS is doing less damage than a healer, and those who are frustrated with 3 hour Nek 2 runs for Hunter's updates.
  18. Elskidorr Active Member

When I started EQ1 I was a complete newb, and the friend I played with was pretty new himself. As a leveling clueless Warrior I just wanted to have fun and meet people. I sucked, no doubt. Hell, I made the same class multiple times because I thought a different race would do better.

We were lucky to find a Shammy/Chanter duo that was patient and eventually we became a beastly team. It didn't take them long to realize how new I was after I kept breaking mezzes and killing our poor Enchanter multiple times, not to mention being a mana drain to keep healed.

They were kind enough to offer advise and I was very receptive to everything they told me, and 6 months later we created our own raid guild. EQ2/WoW was released shortly after and they left for it, but if they hadn't taken to me the way they did, and instead insulted me and kicked me out of their group, I don't know how my time in EQ1 would have turned out.

There's better ways to address people than trying to shame them from the start. Pick up groups are always going to be random and some experiences a lot better than others. Anyone joining pickup groups should expect inconsistencies.
    adaria likes this.
  19. Sprok Active Member

So I haven't been running ACT since launch mainly because I'm pretty casual and when I play DPS I want to enjoy myself, not keep track of how I'm doing compared to other classes/group members.

In almost every group I run there is at least 1 DPS class that is just always constantly pulling aggro.

I'm talking, taking aggro multiple times per fight bad.

Sometimes I feel the urge to say something, but I also don't want to make it an awkward atmosphere. But if someone is doing too much damage, and no one ever mentions it to them, will they ever improve?

What's your take?

Also, if you're playing a DPS class and you constantly pull aggro...sigh...
    Mountbatten and Zenji like this.
  20. Zenji Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say anything cause I honestly don't think ACT is 100% accurate. I was in a group in ffxiv and I'm not very good at playing my role but this guy kept saying i was putting out too much damage. I was so baffled and he kept accusing me of being elitist... it made absolutely no sense.

Sprok likes this.