Hunter's Catch Up Mechanic and Reset Timers need overhaul

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by oakmiser, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Elskidorr Active Member

Probably would boost their Krono sales. I made a fortune selling random currency on FV server.
  2. Elskidorr Active Member

I'm not a fan of dailies either. They start fun and then become tedious, but that's the way of a lot of games now. Just do it for a month and skip the rest.
    Bekkr likes this.
  3. Zenji Well-Known Member

They are no trade because they want that daily active user metric to be higher. It has nothing to do with what is more enjoyable for the players.
  4. Arandar Well-Known Member

In that sense, they are a chore. They're intended to be "work" with an attractive reward. That's pretty been the norm since ... Sunwell daily quests in Burning Crusade? So thank Blizzard for a standard gameplay mechanic that's been adopted by virtually every other MMO in existence. (I'm sure someone will point out some earlier games had "daily like" mechanics with timers, but TBC is the oldest example I can think of where there was an explicit set of quests you were expected to do daily).

This is obvious, but if they're that unattractive to you, you can simply not do them. It's a game, after all.
  5. Bekkr Well-Known Member

I don't care one bit how long this kind of thing has been around, it's bad game design, and "been the norm since" isn't a compelling argument for it. Repetitive, compulsory fun stops being fun pretty fast, you dig?

And yes, thank you, I'm fully aware it's a game and I can "simply not do them". I was asking for the reward coins to be made heirloom, and was asked to elaborate on why. I'm doing them, because the rewards are that good, but I'm not enjoying it much, and I'd think that is something the devs might be concerned about. I would resent the whole thing a lot less if the coins were heirloom. Slim chances, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Goozer and Sixgauge like this.
  6. Zenji Well-Known Member

So in a world without Hunter's Quests, what would you do each day you log in?
  7. Bekkr Well-Known Member

I understand what you're trying to do, but that's missing the point: in your scenario, I would literally do exactly what I want to do, rather than what the devs thought I ought to be doing. What that would be specifically is completely irrelevant.
    Fantasy_Splitpaw and Goozer like this.
  8. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Or make the coins Heirloom.
    Bekkr likes this.
  9. Zenji Well-Known Member

We had that once, but people complained and it got taken away.
  10. Laalon2 Active Member

Have to agree, it is completely unnecessary to have it the way it is currently. I can complete any other quest in this game at whatever time my life allows me... except the one which gives the best item in the game? I'm ok with them having a timer to reset, but if I finish at 9:30 tonight, I should be able to do the next 18 hour one then, when I have time. Not have to wait until 3:00 the following day to get another.
    Sixgauge and Bekkr like this.
  11. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

The world was without hunters quests a week ago, seems like you could answer your own question.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  12. Naneeje Well-Known Member

Hey, fix this soon please. Last night, I did hunter's and was on my way to my third target and the server had issues.
    Today, I lost the hunters quest update in my quest journal, was frustrated so I logged out.
    I just logged back in to do a hunters run,
    Happy sad... Happy, only one mob left,
    Sad... It just reset, so now completing this means I have to wait 17 hours... come on.
    Please fix this.
  13. Zenji Well-Known Member

I know what I did before Hunters. It was similar to what I am doing post Hunters, except now I also earn currency towards a nice reward while doing it.
    If I knew what they did, I wouldn't have needed to ask the question.
  14. Caith Developer

Hunter's missions are not designed to be a catch up mechanic, they are intended to be an extra incentive to give characters a new goal with their progression after the mid point in the expansion, which incidentally also allows anyone struggling with anything in the expansion to obtain a bit more power to help them get a bit further on, before the next expansion unlocks.
    Arandar and Zenji like this.
  15. oakmiser Well-Known Member

No, thats great, but honestly it needs a catch up mechanic, sorry I was unclear with that statement.

I would like to see further expansions offer 2 tokens from the previous expansion as a catch up mechanic to having 2 of them.

For example:
    Starting with Desert of Flames all hunter's missions reward 2 of the previous expansion's hunter's coin.
    1 Desert of Flames(Doubled to 2 by membership)
    2 Shattered Lands (Doubled to 4 by membership)

Allows further progression still as people who min/max won't stop at 1 current and 1 previous, and allows those returning or who missed the train on old expansion hunters groups to catch up using current to get to 2 max items equipped.

Sorry I should have said "Hunter's need a catchup mechanic, and the new way that old missions utterly block you from staying caught up as they take the place of current day's quest completion further enforces this need."
    Beneeto and Bekkr like this.
  16. Wiegraf Member

An extra incentive to do what exactly for who?

Certainly not an incentive for those who have to find a group daily to keep up, let alone on multiple characters on the same account.

It's not any more optional than GEBs or prismatic, the rewards are too good where everyone is forced into this daily hassle for BIS items instead of doing anything actually fun in the in game like killing contested raid mobs.

Wouldn't it be more fun if there were an alternate weekly instead of daily, to get the same # if tokens per week but instead it was kill 2 SOTL raid targets and 1 deception drake?
    Goozer and Bekkr like this.
  17. Bekkr Well-Known Member

While that's all fine, nothing about that gives any indication as to why the coins can't be heirloom. It seems to me that heirloom coins would actually help with that design brief.
    oakmiser likes this.
  18. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

If they're heirloom, people would just have the items in a couple days. If you had say 3 level 50s, it would take less than 10 days to get 2 items for your main. If you had 5, it would be less than a week. If anything, it would exacerbate the gulf between players because those who only have time to play 1 character would be even further behind.

Note: I'm not advocating one way or another, just giving my opinion on why I doubt they'd make them heirloom any time soon. As it is now, it gives people a reason to log in every day.
    SirNaves likes this.
  19. Goozer New Member

Big same... These dailies are horrific, and have just wiped away my enjoyment of EQ2. I did not see that coming, at all.
    Bekkr likes this.
  20. Bekkr Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, but as Caith said, "Hunter's missions are not designed to be a catch up mechanic", but rather "extra incentive" and a "new goal".

I'd be a LOT more enthusiastic about doing them if it felt like I was making progress even when playing characters that I don't necessarily need a crossbow on asap.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.