Do you mention if a DPS in your group isn't putting out much damage?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Xeshaka, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Malachy Well-Known Member

If they're in your guild, you talk to them; if not, you don't say anything unless they are noticeably semi or fully AFK.

I have seen people nearly naked in CT trying to find groups and in PUG groups, at some point, it's just selfish to join a group like that. Sure maybe the first few days the people that flew to 50 would do that in their attempts at server firsts or whatever, but we're over a month in and most people at this point are alts looking for a poor man's powerlevel.

Ultimately if it's an XP group and it's not entertaining or fast enough for your tastes, politely leave. Getting sour about it or tearing people down just spreads the misery and gives you a bad reputation. If you aren't having fun, don't play. If you want to be helpful, then talk to people privately and be prepared for a positive or negative response to your advice.
  2. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Except for raids, I can't really think of any zone that would suffer so hideously from one person not dps'ing to par and being carried. A kind word or two wouldn't hurt, either. Ex: I recently started playing a little Ranger with a friend. I'm usually healing, and know I'm abysmal at DPS, so don't really try it seriously. They pointed out a couple of fairly small changes I could do which upped my damage exponentially - that I wouldn't have figured out on my own. Not only did it increase my damage, it made playing the class a lot more fun for me.

You could do double duty here: Get the DPS you need and create a positive play experience for maybe a new player. Or just not bother. Up to you :)
    Moonpanther likes this.
  3. Zenji Well-Known Member

If they are doing less DPS than the healer?
    Tell them they are doing less dps than the healer. If they don't improve, replace them.

It's no different than if the tank was terrible, over pulling / not holding aggro causing wipes, or the healer having so little healing the tank dies / group wipes.

Playing DPS is not a free pass to be bad. Pointing out they are performing very poorly is not rude. However performing that poorly is rude because it's wasting people's time.

And before anyone comes in with "what if it's a new player?". If a new DPS player takes a few minutes and reads all of their abilities they will out DPS the healer. IF you have to be told to read your tooltips, I don't want you in my group anyways.
    Rhythm and Goozer like this.
  4. Elenova Member

I believe in options, either display or user interface, theres a section for game windows, and a checkbox in that section that says "Show auto attack timing bar"
  5. Linus Member

Are you sure about that? I thought they changed it a few years ago so that auto would fire regardless. Found it buried in an update a while back but I doubt I could find it again easily.
    Sunlei and Sigrdrifa like this.
  6. Akikoto New Member

My hot take on this.

This isn't a competitive game by nature. It's a PVE co- op game. You can personally turn it into a competition but keep that to yourself and knowing you have great DPS. Don't force any kind of toxic "get gud" mentality on your teammates. Especially strangers, Good chance you'll be the one kicked from the group if it's a pug honestly. Sometimes it's not a pug and sometimes several of them could be friends and then you just tried to "out" one of their lesser talented friends etc. You don't know.

We don't know why someone could have low DPS, maybe they have an actual physical handicap IRL, Maybe they have another sort of handicap. Maybe they are still learning their class. Maybe they are distracted at the moment IRL. You could shut down someone's fun fast and set a bad group mood.

It's a recipe for disaster when you call out ACT parses on someone. Tread extremely lightly on that road. FFXIV bans this behavior for a reason, Because it can indeed breed elitist toxic atmospheres. Hopefully more MMORPG's adopt this. Which I think they are. Your intentions might seem pure and wanting to help them. But you also said it was for competition. So. That's an entirely different mood.

THE only time you should ever mention a parse or ACT, is if it's a raid and if you're not passing DPS checks on something in specific then you can kind of politely start going over DPS and what needs to be improved on to pass a raid check.

There is no situation that calls for ACT or parses or calling people out on their DPS etc. Outside of Raid specific DPS checks.
    Which it doesn't sound like you're talking about raids since, Raid leaders would handle this anyways and you wouldn't be posting here.

I know it can be frustrating people aren't "as good" as you but their just their for enjoyment too man.
    I've seen people get kicked out often from dungeon groups, because they would bring up a parse and the conversations would take a bad turn, then our groups would get lop sided. Seen tanks and healers get kicked mostly for bringing up DPS parses ironically. Leaving groups messed up for both sides. I've never been called out or kicked but It still effects me when our group gets all messed up and people leave or get kicked.

It's cringey just like this entire post I'm making.

ACT Parses are for personal use to help gauge your own performance and help identify and spot critical DPS checks so raids can find where to improve on.

Other post's here are saying " Yeah kick them if their DPS is low" in a nut shell. Up to you if you wanna be that rude guy everyone on the server avoids for groups. /shrug.

Would rather have a slow group then no groups yeah?

Or just make your own group, advertise you're looking for good DPS players and avoid the whole situation.
    Bekkr, adaria, Siren and 1 other person like this.
  7. Hoaxes New Member

One of the issues with live exp is that after a few good groups you can suddenly get to 50 and miss some important information or learning experiences for your class along the way. Just ask what's up. It's all simple stuff, but it's a lot of simple stuff and it's easy for new players to miss a thing or two.
    Arielle Nightshade and Sunlei like this.
  8. Sunlei Well-Known Member

I really like that you asked this question. My take is it depends, I would always keep this kind of questioning of a group member in tells if this is a general pick-up group and you aren't in discord voice.

It is enough of an 'in your face' "you are bottom of list"- when you post your act list in group window. A lot of new people in eq2, quite a few people have never grouped before or ever raided. Quite a few people under geared, or maybe lagging hard......You did mention this happens in every group, so maybe you need to group with the same people more frequently.

Act has other functions too, instead of just posting your DPS list vs group vs one afk?person- post the heals, cures and debuffs...you may find yourself at bottom of the list. Without cures/debuffs and heals the entire group is much slower.
  9. Elenova Member

It does fire regardless, however I still use it on my assassin because it will pause if you are in stealth so there's still a little bit of helpfulness there, and if I'm using ranged auto attack, I know when it's safe to tab and not pull extra mobs with it (because sometimes tab goes off into the background).
  10. discomboblatron New Member

i do not complain to strangers about how much dps they do, no. that's childish toxic behavior.

hold a pre-made/guild group to whatever standards you desire, but not random pickups. if there is no agreement beforehand that everybody will play well, you should never be annoyed when they don't. elitism is for guilds that have that expectation and it is explained upfront, nobody else.
    adaria likes this.
  11. Zenji Well-Known Member

expecting DPS to do more damage than a healer, is not elitism.
    Niadissa likes this.
  12. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

If i see that the person is active i dont care. However, if the person is doing less then the healer then he/she isnt active, probably on AF watching Youtube or netflix or whatever. Exceptions exist ofc, a fury can do decent dps if they dont have to heal much so "less then a healer" can potentially and situationally have a wide gap.
    If someone is just there to get dragged along then i do care because its disrespectful to the 5 others in group.

Ive personally only kicked 3 ppl from a grp this TLE so far, all 3 of them was almost naked. That has nothing to do with current broker prices btw whoever said that, its only lazyness.
  13. Venser Active Member

Then I tell all of my friends to never group with the person I told sucks

Live, Laugh, Love
    Love, Laugh, Live
    Laugh, Live, Love
  14. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

I'm trying to imagine a group where a DPS class is being outparsed by a healer, and it not be a meme pull. I don't play pure DPS classes because tbh I am terrible at them, but even on my second class Illusionist if I got outparsed by a healer regularly I'd delete my account.

With that said, don't be an a-hole. At least give people the benefit of the doubt.
    adaria, Arielle Nightshade and Zenji like this.
  15. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Agree. I was pleased to see my little ranger way outparsed the healer when we did an alt group yesterday. This conversation was on my mind!
    adaria likes this.
  16. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

I don't critique other player's performance in pugs. It's a pug you never know what you're going to get. If the group sucks I drop, if not I don't. Telling someone in a pug to git gud isn't going to do anything.
    adaria likes this.
  17. Goozer New Member

Players not contributing are taking advantage of everyone else in the group... People like this need to be called out. How aggressively you call them out can be based on a number of factors, but allowing them to continue to take advantage of people should not be an option.

Edit: To reiterate, from the perspective of a healer or tank; if those 2 roles gave the same lack of attention, the party wouldn't work. DPS classes should be putting in the same effort as the tank or healer; otherwise they are probably selfish, greedy people in game and irl, and deserve to be called out. If you're going into Nektropos 2, Icy Dig or a a raid wearing level 1-30 gear and all apprentice spells because you rolled your way to 50, without a care... and now expect other people to carry you and gear you up... you are a horrible person and you deserve to be told so.
  18. Elskidorr Active Member

No. I don't care. I hardly ever pug anyway, but if I did I would be more annoyed by the guy complaining about others not living up to his/her expectations. If it's a raid then that's different.
    Arielle Nightshade and Siren like this.
  19. ____ New Member

Just finish up the run and not invite that player to my groups in the future. You're not going to argue someone into playing better and too many people take any attempt at advice or criticism as a personal attack. I don't understand defending someone's right to play poorly in a group though, extremely selfish to expect other players to carry you because you can't take the time to learn to play your character competently.
  20. adaria Member

I couldnt agree more.