Old combat skills animation

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Vorlon, May 24, 2022.

1. Vorlon New Member

Good afternoon! Tell me if it is possible to implement this: make an option in the settings - switching the animation of combat skills. I noticed that some animations have returned to the old form, this gives hope that this is possible to implement. For example, on the TLE server, I would really like to see the old animation of combat skills, it would add more immersion in the game.
  2. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

What combat animations are missing exactly?
  3. Siren Well-Known Member

Make sure you're not fighting while on your mount, which will obscure some of them. You can choose for the mount not to show during combat in Options; not sure but you may have to click the Advanced button top right of the screen first to get it to show, but then it will be down toward the bottom of the choices.
  4. Vorlon New Member

I'm talking about the old animation. Once, if I'm not mistaken, in SF, the animation of skills was "improved". For example, the Swashbuckler's "Lucky Gambit" skill looked like a red circle after that, and now it looks like an old animation again (the blades just turn yellow and a circular strike). I hope I explained it clearly))
  5. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Character animation or particle effect? I'm still not sure what you mean. The player character's animation/movement hasn't changed.
  6. Vorlon New Member

particle effect probably
  7. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

OK phew! Let me try and figure out if something has changed.
    Dude likes this.
  8. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

I think he's referring to the classic spell/ca vfx before they were revamped under Smokejumper's regime.
  9. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

I was here when that all changed. Unfortunately there's no way to change it back.
    Siren likes this.
  10. Vorlon New Member

why then are some effects still displayed in the old way?
  11. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

It's a change on top of a change. And there's really no way to undo it as far as I can tell. Once something is there, we really can't go back because what you don't like someone else may like. I personally turn the particle effects all the way down. When they were firing off, I could barely see my character fighting.
  12. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I turned my down to 1 with with average quality or I'm blinded by the lights.
  13. Frid Member

Actually the spell graphics and particle effects were changed in order to consume less resources, so they were a nerf, not an upgrade. The old ones used to look a lot better, yes, they were a bit too flashy but with the newer 64bit client that allows higher FPS I would like to see them back.

Here is an old-school video so you guys can appreciate how much better they were Arch_lich_udalan - YouTube
  14. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

LOL, I don't think anyone was under the impression that the combat vfx revamp was an upgrade.
  15. Xevran Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the dev that was doing it said that they were changing certain effects first and then they'd do others later and the later never came so those effects still use the old particles. Like some of the AAs still use the old effects I think.
  16. Vorlon New Member

That's exactly what I was talking about - as in the video!
    Do you think if the post gets a lot of approval, developers may consider the possibility of variability of particle effects?
  17. Xevran Well-Known Member

Honestly even though most people prefer the old effects the new ones do perform much better and EQ2's performance is a big issue for it. Making it a toggle-able option would avoid that issue but it might also not be possible, especially considering the limited resources the team is working with these days.
  18. Frid Member

That should not be an issue in the future. The 64 bit client adds 30-60 FPS to the average computer so we wil be able to play at max settings at all times for the first time in EQ2 history. Anyone who played with the old particles knows they were a lot more beautiful than the current ones, so if they still have the data it should be easy to implement.

It is up to us players to let them know what we want, obviously we need a proper thread in the right subforum and not here and things will need to be discussed. I personally 100% agree with OP and I don't think this is even nostalgia related, the old particles simply look so much better.

Edit: I didn't see an actual dev posted saying it's not possible so forget everything I said lol what a bummer, the new effects are very ugly. I wonder why they didn't keep a backup :/
  19. Vorlon New Member

It seems to me that it makes sense to raise this topic - if the old particle effects have surfaced (I can name a dozen more skills), I think they have sources.
  20. vegasacesvii New Member

Most of the old particles have been revamped for spells and combat abilities. The reason you still the occasional old one's are mainly due to the Heroic Opportunity's. Those were not changed. The irony here, is that the whole Heroic Opportunity system is about to be revamped for the first time in over 18 years. As I take it they wont be using old assets anymore for a newer system, we should probably go ahead and say RIP now.