Quests that reward house items should be repeatable or items buy-able.

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Laera, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Laera Member

As per title. There's several quests that reward cool house items, but you can only get it once per toon.

Example: I just started going through Eidolon Jungle content and the quest "Infighting" rewards Exquisite Sconce of the Faceless. I've checked and there's no other way to get this version of the sconce. I've literally never seen this on the broker. If I wanted enough to actually decorate with I'd have to level another toon and go through the whole quest series to get another, and rinse and repeat.

Dshin Twisted Palm is another: Quest reward from [100] Allu'thoa Abduction (Phantom Sea), started by Corrith Midner. IMO the best looking palm in the game but it's hard to have a tropical island with only 2 trees.

Stuff like this should really be available on a merchant after the quest (eg some quests around Freeport that reward house items will unlock them for sale on a merchant) OR the quest should be repeatable (eg quest "A Tower's Deadly Shadow" in Great Divide).

For that matter I wouldn't say no to collection quest item rewards being given the same treatment. Ry'gorr Sconce is cool and all but I cba to collect all the pieces 19 more times.
    Quiarrah, Kattt, draidean and 13 others like this.
  2. Ashlie Active Member

I agree with this. It's been done for Freeport and Qeynos quests. Quest and collection house item rewards could be locked behind completing the associated quest or item, they we've done something to earn the right to buy more of the items. There are a lot of items that we get 1 or 2 of and can't get more without having to have an alt that can do the appropriate level quest we can't get any more. The players that don't use the house items put them up, but they don't usually last long there, so if you're not on at the right time you miss out or it's on the broker for extremely high prices.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

We do come across this for most, if not all, of the holidays: cool things you'd love to get more of that you're rewarded once for finishing a holiday quest (almost always some sort of making quest, which is cool for crafters :D), but then it's "unlocked" for further purchasing; keep the one you've "won" as a souvenir, then buy another 900 or so off the merchants if you've got the plat. ;->

Some quest things, irreplaceable things, are indeed sold here and there by NPC merchants (like Shady Swashbuckler on the Nektulos docks, if memory serves), but even their stores are kind of limited. If the devs really squawk about it, tag them Heirloom or even No-Trade, so if your toons want their own, they can do their own questing for them.

I'm firmly convinced there are folks out there who, either using some 3rd-party thing or some other esoteric means I'm not aware of, have some means of finding out when something goes on the Broker, like within a minute or less. I've actually sold Kronos (yes... :oops:) for the sake of having enough plat to be able to keep up with the damned inflation (barely, depending), and while my Carpal Tunnel wouldn't allow me to just keep feeding in 999,999 gold to my 9,999,999 plat price until I reached beyond a few additional million (not the 57,000,000 I usually see), I have had those Kronos sell within literally about a minute or two. As I had the lowest price on the Broker for it, I'm sure I made someone very happy...who probably turned right around and sold it for something like 56,999,999p, 99g, 99s, 99c, rather than letting some poor cash-strapped player in RL be able to afford one in game. X-P

Uwk
    draidean likes this.
  4. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

I need to move to your server! Over on HoF, they run at around 300million right now. :rolleyes:
    No matter how much plat I try to hoard, they always seem to be priced at least twice, often three times whatever my stash of in-game money amounts to. LOL
    draidean and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  5. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

*sighs and shunts the krono cars on the side in order to get the conversation back on track*

I too, would like quests that offer house items to either become repeatable, or able to be purchased once unlocked by successful completion of the quest.
  6. Vichane Well-Known Member

I agree with this sentiment, but i lean towards buyable versions more than repeatable quests.

Use your /feedback option as well as upvoting!
    Quiarrah, draidean, Lowretta and 3 others like this.
  7. Miragian Well-Known Member

I support this, there are a number of collections out of AoM and SF that give nice house items and are a pain to get all the pieces repeatly for alts to do it.

I understand there might be some that they want limited (mostly holiday event items)
  8. Sinafe Darkchyle Inquisitor/Carpenter

I agree with the buyables!
  9. Denmum Developer

Sadly, while I know players want All The Things and more than one of each, this isn't really feasible at this time.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

At least with holidays, there are often merchant options... :-/

Need to keep those Loyalty Merchants in Tokens! :D

Uwk
    who wonders: what do the Merchants turn the Tokens they receive from us into? Plat? Tax rebates from their rulers? /ponder
    Breanna likes this.
  11. draidean Well-Known Member

Well this is extremely discouraging and makes me want to take another long hiatus. Can you tell us why?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  12. Denmum Developer

Sadly, the amount of time to find every single quest (adventuring, tradeskill, collection, live event, etc.) that grants a house item, and to then set all those items on a merchant with all the appropriate predicates coded in for each and every one to be sure that the player had completed the specific requirement for initially obtaining the item would take an insane amount of time (multiple weeks of working on it, and only it, while all other tasks fell to the wayside for that developer), and we simply don't have that big of a team. It is something that sounds simple on the surface, but it is a ton of detective work, a lot of manual work that cannot be scripted, AND continual maintenance any time a quest of any sort is added to get it onto the vendor. (And weeks and weeks of being interrupted by players doing a "what about this one?" when we don't give them unlimited Maldura forges and such cannot be discounted. The amount of time we spend answering player queries is higher than you'd think, and cuts down how much actual work we can get done.)

I was initially thinking that it would be nice for some things, but after seeing how everything is tied together in our database, it would be insanely time-consuming, and we have too much on our plates as it is. :(
  13. draidean Well-Known Member

I was guessing it would be something like this.

Could you possibly create duplicate versions of (at least some of) the items and throw them on a vendor somewhere for the time being? In game and/or MP bundles of specific items (ex. Dshinn palm) and groups of items (ex. all the non-craftable Frostfell), similar to how the city festival building blocks are done? Go forward on new items with these suggestions in mind? Hire more people or even take volunteers? I would donate time and labor to help make this happen and I'm sure others would, too.
  14. draidean Well-Known Member

Just spitballing here. No idea if any of this would work, but I would be happy to help if I can.
    Lowretta and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  15. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

This actually gives me some good insight to a number of Brawler Gi appearances that have gone missing over the years. I spoke with Chrol on discord last year about it. A lot of gis from the Destiny of Velious expansion and a few from the earlier expansions have just been... mysteriously patched out of the loot pools. I was told that trying to track them down would just be impossible with the manpower the team currently has, but you just gave me an even better grasp of just how impossible that would be.

Still hoping to see the appearances repurposed for future content though. Save your art team some time by reusing some graphics that were taken out.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

That last isn't exactly unique. ;-> How many things have we seen the exact appearance of, time and time again, just with a mere color change? :) As long as the lines of code exist (and I can sympathize with Mum, after hearing of The Great Spaghetti Code fiasco), it could be possible.

Uwk
    Breanna, Morukta and draidean like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Or at the very least, yeah, look at the items that aren't available anywhere, anyhow, any more, any time, any way, etc.? Lera has a whole category on Unobtainable... :-/

If it's just a matter of things like what are in the Vaults, for example, those still exist. :)

It reminds me of the old classic cartoons (MGM, old Disney shorts, Warner Bros.) and Doctor Who episodes, where they might be shown a couple of times and then the cels or videos would get wiped clean or taped over... /twitch :confused:

Hopefully it's not that bad and that the code does still exist somewhere.

Uwk
    who also wouldn't mind volunteering :)
    Breanna and draidean like this.
  18. Denmum Developer

A lot of those in that category are duplicate appearances with different item IDs that were never cleared out of the database before someone sniffed through and found them back in the day. Others have art issues (no base/back, huge but not solid, major placement issues etc.)

I spent almost 2 weeks using Lera's list on one half of my screen while I dove through the database with item name in hand to identify those unobtainables by internal names, then summoned them all on an internal server, placement tested them, set aside the ones that would take too much work, were too close to some other art that we had already, etc. Then I made arbitrary categories for them, then made recipes for them, etc.all to get you folks those 5 Forgotten Furniture books on the marketplace last summer. The only reason I could do that at the time was because I was a temporary employee who was still very much in training and learning the technical ins and outs of house items and recipe creation was good training. :D

I have a LOT more duties these days.

As for the gi's, the art still exists, the items still exist, but the's no handy-dandy internal list that says "these appearances aren't used anywhere". I'll be working with Cusahorn's list of gi's when I tackle an update for the loyalty merchants with the GU, but the amount of time needed for any of this cannot be understated.

As for making duplicate versions of house items that you specifically want ... oufff ... another time-eater, and we're already into planning for the next GU, and once that is done will be working on the next expansion, etc. I don't see it as a likelihood this year.

I will say that a list here with exact item names has more of a chance of getting traction than something vague that requires a ton of dev research. ("Dshinn palms" is easy to search on. "all the non-craftable Frostfell" would take days to sort through, then time going back and forth with Kaitheel to see what we are ok with players having more of since we need some chase items that people want to log in for during a live event and that is sort of ruined if they're available at other times. :D)

I'm rambling now, but you get the idea. A lot of the vague stuff that needs a lot of work (and detective work counts) is just not likely to happen. (Hiring another designer or the legal-no-no of pulling in volunteers is not on the table.)
  19. draidean Well-Known Member

Now this is something we can work with, thank you Mum!!!

Why is it important for everyone to log in during the live events? Sometimes we just can't and then you keep getting further behind, and I am so so completely exhausted of all the chase items. There are just So Many. Honestly, I would spend more real money and time playing if it weren't for them. Sometimes I log in, think about what I have to go collect (if it's even available at the time) for a project I am doing or want to do, sigh, and log out. I am not trying to be a difficult complainer, but I am so far behind on getting all the things that I feel like I'm never going to catch up and it really does discourage me from playing. We used to be able to buy at least some of it from the broker, but the market is so messed up if they are there at all they are prohibitively expensive.

The crying over again (for now lol) I will start working on that list! Lera's site to the rescue again =D
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Morukta like this.
  20. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

All I can do is just /sigh.... The rest, I'm just gonna bury it like Vulcan emotions.
    :(:(:(