I really like the Varsoon EXP rates....but 16 weeks???

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Kahleem, May 6, 2022.

1. Kahleem Active Member

I'm an alt-aholic, and I'm still to this day constantly trying different classes for different TLE releases (depending on the ruleset). As a long-time TLE player one of my largest gripes is how horridly grindy they've previously been. Yes, even Kaladim was still too slow (I never saw why people said it was 'too fast' ???).

However, one thing you have to keep in mind is that everyone isn't like me. You can't have live-like exp rates on a TLE and still have super slow release times. TLE servers live and breath based on when their next content cycle is released.

Maybe instead of an entire yearly Quarter for release it should really be something lower like 3 months? That last 4 weeks means a lot sometimes. Heck, my favorite expansion is RoK+ so the previous expansions are kind of a slog for me (itemization isn't as fun until RoK picks up). You could also launch us an expansion or two on May 24th rather than launching from scratch with 16 weeks??

Just saying, you really shouldn't do BOTH a super long content cycle AND the fastest exp rates of any previous TLE.

I REALLY enjoy and hope you keep the planned exp rates, but 16 weeks?? I really hope you decide to change this a bit. However, I do feel that 8 weeks is too fast which is why I suggested the 12 weeks.

ps: Is this a planned way to reduce the "server inflation" that occurs from TLPs? It's sort of why EQ2 and EQ1 are still breathing today. I'm sure there are better ways than intentionally stretching out content that doesn't make it seem like an oasis pops up every 16 weeks!

Thanks for reading :)!
    Beneeto, adaria and boho like this.
  2. Zenji Well-Known Member

Not that I am in favor of 4 months per xpac. Kaladim is 70% of Live XP.

Regardless, XP rates have very little to do with how slow or fast content cycles should be. It doesn't really matter if you hit 50 on the first day or a week later.
    Beneeto and Mizgamer62 like this.
  3. Kahleem Active Member

XP rates *should* dictate content cycles because a lot of people will hit max level, then get all their gear for that expack, then they stop and wait for the next content cycle. Others like myself and my friends we love making tons of toons, getting them to level cap, and getting their gear. Most of my guildies from previous TLE guilds tend to fall off after the first month except for scheduled raids. Meanwhile I start falling off after 2.5 months into the current content cycle. The grind gets to me a after awhile.

:)
    adaria likes this.
  4. Kurth Member

If you're an altoholic this set up should be perfect for you though. You have the time to gear and run through the content on all 16 classes at a quick xp rate before the next expansion unlocks.

The people complaining about XP rates are (as an example) people like me who go into Qeynos Catacombs, get all the quests and want to finish them all without greying them out just by playing naturally. I'll probably have two characters total, one good one evil.
  5. Zenji Well-Known Member

You will be in for a treat, there are 24 classes available at launch!

Unless you are popping XP potions, you can naturally play through the Qeynos Catacombs questline without greying mobs. That timeline starts at around level 8 and goes to about level 25.
    Beneeto, Pixistik and Mizgamer62 like this.
  6. Zenji Well-Known Member

So if you hit 50 day 1 or day 6 should change the content cycle? nah.

Fallen Gate was by far the slowest leveling of any TLE and the faster levelers were level 50 by day 4.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  7. Kahleem Active Member

I knew a couple of those people too on FG. They also no-lifed for 4 days straight and maybe got 4 hours sleep each day in the form of naps.

Ain't about that, doesn't sound fun. :)
  8. adaria Member

16 weeks is too long imo. I read some will be shorter which is good. The super slow xpac releases is the main reason i left kaladim and canceled my sub. Im a altaholic however running the same content over and over for months and months gets old no matter how many alts you have. 3 months per xpac seems better and even that too slow for me but tolerable. Once i went to anothe game, i just got caught up and didnt come back to kaladim.
    Mizgamer62 and boho like this.
  9. Riverbear Active Member

The operative word here in my opinion is "Content".
    Heritage quests? Any of you do them? Haden's Earring? Berik Sword of Thunder? Bone Bladed Claymore? PGT? YAK?
    Level 50 in 4 days sure, but achieving nothing of merit.
    Content! Pursue the involved and challenging depths of the game!
    Any pedestrian can power level. The real value in the game is the demanding, time burning hard to do stuff!
    I see a toon without a shiny Brass Anything, & I know they are a player that needs more development.
    Enjoy the ride!
    Level 50 in 4 days - you can't fix stupid.
    adaria and Turkish like this.
  10. Zenji Well-Known Member

What about 50 in less than 8 hours? ;)
    Most of the people who rush to 50, do the quests that are important to them afterwards.
    The real value in the game is spending your time doing the content you enjoy, with people you enjoy playing with.
    If you like to take your time and do all the HQs while leveling, that is great! But people who play differently than you aren't doing anything wrong.
    adaria likes this.
  11. Turkish Member

In all honesty, there is plenty enough time in 16 weeks to level a character strictly for end game content/raiding and a character that you want to take your time with also. I will be creating a toon specifically for raiding with my peeps and one that I can craft and do HQs/Sig lines etc. when I'm not raiding.
    Beneeto likes this.
  12. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Yeah, loads of times. I did them all when they were relevant, and you had to camp for hours killing placeholders over and over, only to have someone steal the named when it finally spawned. I've done them numerous times since, and I will do them again on Varsoon.

Eh, I'll be enjoying myself. I have nothing to prove at this point.

I mean if that is your measure of a player's maturity, then you do you. Considering the prerequisite to most HQs is a pulse and the ability to read, I am not going to put much stock in that, personally.

I will!

If we're going to devolve into name-calling, then I think you're a Silly Billy.
  13. TekksTavern New Member

Im one of the people who played EQ2 at launch. Came back a couple times over the years...but never did the other TLE's and have not played the original content in well over 10 years. Ive got like about 8 friends and Family coming with me that are the same or have never played it. We are REALLY looking forward to it.

However...I will even say I think 4 months is probably a bit much on the releases. I think 3 months would have been perfect. However I am sure we will be fine with it because we havent done this content 20 times over like many of you. Ive done it like once 15 years ago or whatever. So we will be going alot slower.

I think people can find like minded people and enjoy it in different ways. I actually am hoping most that they do those itemization changes discussed on the other Dev thread. That would really help more than anything else.
    Turkish and Mizgamer62 like this.
  14. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Good for you! Having a set group of friends/family to play with will make all the difference. Hope you all have a lot of fun :).