What Do You Think Would Make EQ2 Popular Again?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by InquisitiveRat, May 10, 2022.

1. Celestia Well-Known Member

Ah, forgot about that. Man, I did that quest at level, biggest pain in the *** ever.
    Breanna and Dude like this.
  2. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Nope to both.

I know, I know. I am way behind on questing. Even my tradeskilling has been skipping this to do that rather than the other thing that everybody else does and or knows to do. I get so distracted easily with new alts, world events, World Events, prepping for new alts, decorating houses, gearing newer alts, decorating guildhouses (because one just isn't enough), and also making new concept alts (like that one who was raised by a dwarf and a halfling which makes him think he's a halfling worthy of running for mayor of Rivervale even though he was born an ogress).

*sigh*
    I just don't see how anyone can keep up with all the current content when there's sooo many other things to do in the game.
    Jaden, Dude and tasnee like this.
  3. Celestia Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, Ob of Lost Souls is a level 40 some dungeon. Even when it was still somewhat current content, I hardly saw peeps there. It was an excellent way to level from 40 to 50 though back before Dungeon Finder.

To Speak as A Dragon was before a lot of stuff came out too, like I think it was THEE original end quest for Shattered Lands. (I hated it so much though, lol)

To be honest, I would still hate it but they came out with the tablet and all the easy ways to skip it for the most part. People I used to play with would be like, "I hate this quest!" when the epic 1.0 came out because most peeps hadn't bothered with it till then. I always said, "Try doing it AT level. That was fun." :D
    Lysia and Hartsmith like this.
  4. Smashey Well-Known Member

There is no way anyone that saw an EQ2 add would pick this game over some other MMO with much better visuals, systems and pretty much anything other than the 24 classes EQ2 offers. There simply isnt a chance. The game looks dated and runs horrible. Advertising EQ2 would just be a complete waste of time at this point and I am pretty sure just setting the dollars on fire would yeild better results.

Other MMOs have had constant upgrades to their engines and graphical fidelity, EQ2 runs awful and looks like a 2004 game. There is simply nothing about eq2 that would catch the eye of someone looking to play a MMO, with the exception being the $249 expansion packages that only has digital content.
    Lysia and Mizgamer62 like this.
  5. Celestia Well-Known Member

I get people are mad about the current situation of the game, and I am REALLY not trying to start something, but if you have a problem with one of the developers, why not just tell them? Directly, instead of calling them out for the whole world to see.

It's not like this is Lord of the Rings and you’re fighting Sauron at the last battle. We don't all need to hear, "Will the Dark Lord come forth from his castle," or whatever.
    Hartsmith likes this.
  6. InquisitiveRat Shy Artist

They could fix that by adding more mobs and reducing respawn time slightly. If EQ2 became popular, this would be a massive issue that would remain constant.
    Almee likes this.
  7. Accendo Guest

8. InquisitiveRat Shy Artist

Yes, I am aware, but it is still was all mostly valid criticism of the game and the company itself. EQ2 has a lot of problems, and those problems mostly come from the lack of respect and care from the company itself. Predatory practices to the point where you literally cannot do anything without spending a ridiculous amount of money on the game to get by, a good portion of the classes are broken in some way. really badly implemented mechanics and it seems like everyone who works on this game gave up on it years ago. EQ2 does deserve a lot better and I feel as though the devs and Daybreak as a whole should take any constructive criticism to heart and try to make the series better instead of monetizing the dwindling playerbase to hell and back and ignoring anyone who gives any criticism. You can make money off this game without doing such predatory practices, if need be, look at GW2, take notes of how they do with their FTP business model. We all want to see new players and actual progress made on the series, it's genuinely depressing seeing the EQ series in such a bad state.

There needs to be something done to ensure a great future for the EQ series, whether it's scrapping the entire series and remaking it, removing unneeded, unnecessary and bad features while revamping the remaining ones or making a sequel to EQ1 and/or EQ2. Seriously, this series got me through a lot when I was a kid/teen and I'd love to see said series improve. I don't like what has been done to it, I really don't but I can't just give up on this series and look for an alternative when there is no alternative. Pantheon is probably a scam, and Project: Gorgon is a massive let-down. The MMO genre, itself, has been in a downward spiral ever since WoW became popular, there hadn't been a decent MMO in 8 years. It's really sad.

I know all great things must come to an end, but it feels like this series ended before it could truly become great with the whole series going downhill only in the first decade and a half of it's existence. It deserves to continue and flourish, not die a slow and painful death as it is currently doing.
    Lysia likes this.
  9. Obano Well-Known Member

Make EQ2 classic with the old mechanics.

Live is dead. The stats are out of control and they can no longer create viable content for it. With fights lasting up to an hour just to kill one heroic mob I am done with it.

New expansions should be released based on EQ2 classic.
    Lysia, Arioche, Smashey and 1 other person like this.
  10. InquisitiveRat Shy Artist

Honestly, if they reverted Live back to pre-2010 EQ2 (anywhere between 2004-2009) and just go from there, that would be great, TLEs are only a temporary solution to a problem that is, increasingly, getting worse and worse with every passing day.
    Lysia likes this.
  11. Pharone Active Member

• Squish number of abilities down. Everybody just puts most of them in macros that they repeatedly smash anyway
    • Squish stats
    • Go back to a traditional STR, AGI, INT, WIS, CHA stat system with a stat cap of like 20. Make it so that choosing what to equip matters
    • Remove all the other stats that have marginalized the basica stat system like potency
    • Rework the Alternate Advancement system to put the character growth beyond equipment stats there
    • Lower new expansion cycle from 1 year to 2 years, and use that time to make new monster models, new weapon models, new gear models, and detailed new zones/dungeons. Customers should want to buy the new expansion for more than just the stat increase in gear. They should be like "wow that is the most amazing looking dungeon. I can't wait to go explore there!"
    • Squish classes to get rid of the "that class is not played because it's abilities are not needed on raid xyz" issue. Don't homogenize the classes. Just do things like combine the Monk and Brawler, so that they can run the abilities they are needed at any given time with out being the "other" type of the class that doesn't bring anything good to the fight. One way to do this would be to make it so that if you use what was originally Monk abilities, it makes the Brawler abilities less effective and vice versa. Then you don't have to rebalance the content while at the same time making all character's viable to all content. The user just chooses which abilities to use when.
    As far as advertising, we the community can do that, and some of us do. I typically play on EQ1 on the TLP servers, and I made a huge effort this time around to advertise the crap out of EQ2's new TLE on the forums I'm a regular on. I have gotten numerous EQ1 people excited about Varsoon, and quite literally am in a guild for Varsoon that is made up mostly by people that are ex-EQ1 players. So, it is possible to bring people to EQ2 if you get out there and let people know about it. These TLE servers are not just for existing EQ2 players.
    Arioche, Smashey and Hartsmith like this.
  12. Almee Well-Known Member

I didn't mind the respawn rate, it was the ratio of the particular mobs, most of the quests require, vs. the yard trash that respawned. I realize it is a deliberate attempt to slow players down but raid-geared players (who are usually the ones that blow through content) can just stand there and let their mercs kill the mobs until all the quest requirements have been met. I was in the crate gear so I had to actually fight. And at 78, that's pretty hard on the hands.

My point (probably badly put due to total frustration after reading the complaints) was that Maj'Dul has a very vibrant player base for anyone who wants that type of community. I can't fathom why people complain about DP not merging servers when there is already a very-populated server available. Thurgadin isn't far behind Maj'Dul and also has a good community.

Starting over isn't that hard. New character slots only cost $10, which is about the price of a cup of coffee today. In two weeks you'll be back to raiding. So my advice is to quit complaining and start moving. If I can do it at my age, it should be a piece of cake for the young sprouts.
    Hartsmith likes this.
  13. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Agreed. For me, if a fight lasts more than 3 minutes, I become very bored. Never ending combat does nothing to move the story forward, and I am here for the stories.
    KauaiJim likes this.
  14. vlada Active Member

New character slots only cost $10, which is about the price of a cup of coffee today.

if you are being charged $10 for coffee you are being ripped off.also,probably not true
  15. Celestia Well-Known Member

Oh I wasn't talking about you, I just meant people calling out specific developers in the game. I just feel that if they have a problem with one of the people working here they should talk to them directly.

But, yes. I agree with a lot of your thoughts. If they did like 2004 that would be kinda cool, didn't they still have those spirit shard runs back then?
  16. DENSER Well-Known Member

No way, shard run is only fun causée it dosn't exist anymore ;)
  17. Celestia Well-Known Member

LOL, well, maybe 2009 then. That was a good time for the game. I do honestly think even if they don't take the levels away like WoW did, they need to stat squish really bad. We shouldn't be doing 2 billion damage. I think out of everything, that's my biggest concern.
    Lysia likes this.
  18. Breanna Well-Known Member

The game was good up until TOT (imho) then it started going down from there.
    Lysia likes this.
  19. DENSER Well-Known Member

Yeah agree, I find those numbers pretty ridiculous, but I imagine it goes hand in hand with the 'more you hurt, the stronger you are' orientation that the game has taken since years.
    In itself it is surely verified, a player gets more pleasure from seeing big damage numbers than big heal numbers, or big mana regen ( that one dosn't exist ;))
    Or at least the player feels more attracted to dealing damage
  20. Blindiste New Member

Make the cobalt spell/mount/merc/familiar reductions purchasable through SC rather than having to gamble away money for each new character they make.
    It would make more sense in the long run if people could easily level up whatever character they choose without playing a game of chance with loot boxes. this will give new people/returning/current people interested in the game.
    KauaiJim and Hartsmith like this.