Overly Complicated Ways to Kill a Named

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Notnasty, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Taled Well-Known Member

I didn't change the quote. I just didn't rewrite the entire thing.

I never said you can't read; I merely pointed out that you apparently didn't understand their point.
  2. AOE1 Well-Known Member

Apparently I did and apparently I asked why we should be expected to have to do a heroic in order to do a solo. But whatever!
  3. Taled Well-Known Member

You aren't.

The point they were making is that having better gear makes doing the zone EASIER.

NOT that having heroic gear is a REQUIREMENT to do the solo - which it is not, and has never been.
    Jinksie likes this.
  4. AOE1 Well-Known Member

Yes Taled, It is pretty common knowledge that having better equipment makes doing any zone easier. It has been like that since day1 which for me was way back in 2004. That was NOT my question and it has nothing to do with the statement made by someone else that I was questioning, but thanks for playing. You have a great day. :)
    Diveris likes this.
  5. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

Are there too many scripts in solos and heroics ? - Yes.

Do you need heroic gear to do solos ? - No

Did solos with box gear on several toons in beta and live.
  6. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

In beta I did solos with a troub in box gear and a templar in box gear. This led into low dps toons getting a buff for solos (if I remember that right).

My main is a geared Guardian.
    Jinksie and Chrol like this.
  7. Taled Well-Known Member

Specifically to show that it is doable and that the people who constantly post that you 'cannot do the solos in box gear!' are wrong and just whining.
    Jinksie, Twyla and Sigrdrifa like this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

If you've participated in Betas, you'd know that Taled does some very good testing and finds a lot of stuff. In Beta, I always run a couple of my low DPS toons through questlines and instances without special Beta buffs to see how they'll do, and I'm sure others do as well.

Believe Taled when he says he tested it in a "worst case scenario" way.
  9. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I think veteran players, even when doing betas in a worst case scenario way still have the advantage of experience and consistent play time as compared to a new or returning player. There are so many layers at max level to try and absorb and it can be overwhelming. That initial perception is every thing.
    Diveris and Twyla like this.
  10. Chrol Developer

Avenn did in fact do this on beta to help me test/tune solo for lower tiered players.
    Sigrdrifa and Jinksie like this.
  11. Jinksie Well-Known Member

I can tell you as a fellow guild mate of Avenn's, he takes beta testing seriously in order to help others when it goes live. You are welcome to question his authenticity if you like, but that is not accurate. He's being sincere and doing his best to help improve the player experience.
  12. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

As Chrol can attest - I kinda of a pain in butt about solos being doable by all :)
    Sigrdrifa and Jinksie like this.
  13. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

I did all that quests for the sig line 4 times, TS sig line 8 or 9 times. But then I am retired (Chemical Engineer) and have time to do this.

Did the solo zones on 7 toons if I remember right. For 3 or 4 of them - it was gear from the box and the TS mount. Not sure if I had Eth buffs from last pack on Beta or not to be honest. I did lookup AA setups from top players in several classes and used those setups.

I think the Pot I had was 400k or so. Again, that was several months ago.

And if you want to help to beta this stuff - get on beta for next expac and send in comments and bug reports.

As far as Chrol goes - he and Gninja will talk to players if you talk to them respectively.
    Jinksie likes this.
  14. Taled Well-Known Member

The thing is, your argument is that no one in their right mind *would* do it on live - I agree with you. The point that's being made, is that the zones are specifically tuned so that it is entirely possible for a player to do so. They aren't balanced around you picking up all of those 295-315R pieces from the sig line/drops and putting them on, because there's no guarantee a player is actually going to do that.

I specifically tested running every single solo instance on beta (which means every pre-GU solo instance) with four brand new box geared toons: an inquisitor, a bard, a shadowknight, a berserker; I also tested with my two regular live toons with their RoS gear and with box gear: a guardian, and a beastlord. The Guardian and Beastlord, obviously, had achievements, adornments, upgraded spells, etc. The fresh toons had full masters since that was the way the 125 boost worked on beta for VoV.

Before putting on any new upgrades beyond those initial spells and box gear you can run any of the solos with - probably - any character, though it is more difficult on some than others. And it will take a bit more skill for deeper instances, but as long as you've got a healer merc or you actually use cure potions, you should be fine. Low DPS classes will be slower, of course, but if you're trying to do it *quickly*, you should have equipped some of the - as you noted - dozens of upgrades you would have gotten by this point.
    Jinksie likes this.
  15. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

Well I do buy the premium edition every year - and that could be the difference. The way I look at it - between the PE and the yearly sub - it is about $250 a year to play the game. Considering the time I play - seems like a small amount to me.
    Breanna and Twyla like this.
  16. Celestia Well-Known Member

Honestly, I agree with the low dps where you really can't solo it thing. I can on my fury and channeler, and maybe wizard because they all have the high numbers. But like, my defiler and mystic, and templar and Inquis? I had to buy the Forlorn celestial ranger merc for them. I just don't do much damage on them - even with the ascension stuff.

BUT, I also don't really do that dungeon because I have found it boring and tedious to do. There is a lot going on as someone said. It just doesn't seem worth it for the gear that is there, especially since you can only trade on the Isle of Refuge server.
  17. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

Oh for sure Resolve doesn't line up with Potency that is needed to over come Combat Mitigation in zones and do decent DPS.

It was doable to get to Resolve, but not so much for Potency this expac.