Varsoon will have live adventure experience rates?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Tesoth, May 3, 2022.

1. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Any of these servers are what you want to make of them.
  2. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

This feels like the worst setup to an attempted Socratic "gotcha" moment I think I've ever witnessed.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  3. Jadefox2 Active Member

/shrug

Is does look that way, doesn't it?

However it was an honest question.
    Keep practicing reading your gut :)
  4. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Just play the way you want to. How much fun you have is up to you.
  5. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

It was a dishonest question. it was an obvious attempt to goad an answer out of somebody so you could try to point out a contradiction in their views. I mean, it failed pretty spectacularly, but it's quite obvious what you were doing.
  6. Jadefox2 Active Member

7. Jadefox2 Active Member

It was not a dishonest question.
    It was finding a person's boundaries on what they find acceptable or not in a game.

That's how questions work.
  8. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Otherwise known as JAQing off.

Eh, whatever.
  9. Jadefox2 Active Member

It's called research...

But enjoy your game.
    Mountbatten likes this.
  10. Zenji Well-Known Member

I would for alts.
    I enjoy the first playthrough. Kind of like a new PoE league. Leveling up that first character is fun.
    But when I make my alts, not so much. When I help PL guildies, not that's not super interesting either.
    Would much rather just spend $20 and have another max level character.

However, I think tokens like that can be very unhealthy for a server. If not done carefully and with thought.
    For example.
    I don't think a token should be sold until mid content of any given expansion.
    I think it should be limited to 1 per account, per expansion.
    Jadefox2 likes this.
  11. TheGreatGatsby Active Member

My wallet on Stormhold really, really, really hated the xp rates, but without shilling out for vitality potions every .7 of a level after level 40, it was spending more time than I wanted to in CT and Sol Eye. I did so much of the Everfrost questline when I couldn't get groups. I did all of this after reaching server first crafter, pressing 456 so much I thought my fingers were going to bleed. Although my krono bank loved the fact that there wasn't another Sage level 50 for almost 2 weeks after me, I would never want to do this again. It very quickly became a chore that I had to endure to get to see Darathar again.

Personally, I thought Kaladim's xp rates were fine, but I'm even happier with live xp rates. Leveling isn't where the game is fun for me. I enjoy going through the dungeons, but I play a bunch of alts and I powerlevel a bunch of guildies, so I get to see them plenty. Let's be real - a lot of the leveling dungeons aren't exactly interesting. There's a lot of nostalgia in burning through these zones, but nostalgia-tinted goggles are only so interesting. I play this game to play with my friends and kill dragons. Most of these dungeons are straight paths that you run down, turn a corner, and run down the hall again. The bosses in these zones aren't interesting - they're all tank and spank monsters with a little more hp and damage than the elites we slaughtered along the way. Once you've run down the differently decorated straight lines twice in an xpac, is there any value to doing it more than that, other than nostalgic grinds that remind you of when you were in your teens or early 20s and you could stay up late on Friday night to get your grind on?

The only thing I would change about this server is shorter duration xpacs (3 month standard, 2 month DoF). Otherwise, I'm very excited.
    adaria, Mizgamer62 and Zenji like this.
  12. Cronos New Member

One prime example and PROOF for WHAT people want are the 2 TLE servers Treebeard and Shadowfax in LOTRO… Treebeard is slow xp and Shadowfax is double XP and new expansions in half the time than treebeard.

Well you guessed it already I think. Treebeard has 4 - 5x the player numbers of Shadowfax and always had this!! Shadowfax has 30ppl online and Treebeard 200+

Here we have a very LOUD but very small playerbase who screams for fast xp and attacks ppl who dare to differ. The claim that they are the majority is hilarious. Again and for the 100th time, the fast xp rate forces you to control your xp yourself and this takes away immersion. There are players here for the first time and they want an AUTHENTIC experience.

There is a easy solution, let people set their xp rate themself at start and reward them with a cool title when they take a slower one… BUT then you had people like Z here whine because they would get a cool title and he gets punished for not playing slower wah wah wah

I have witnessed these discussions even back in 1999 in EQ1 and it’s always the same. A small loud majority who needs achievements in a computer game because of RL lackings tries to push their view through no matter what. Sadly it seems that here DEVs share this opinion while in LOTRO they see that they have to respect more than one player group… oh well, in a few months the numbers will show that this is true. So until then!
  13. TheGreatGatsby Active Member

EQ2 is a different game than LOTRO is. I appreciate you attempting to provide evidence for your claims, but you can't compare apples and oranges. They're both fruit (TLEs), but they're different. I could point out how much people despised the leveling process of RIFT Prime and having to run Lantern Hook 52 times to get from 42 to 45, but it's a different experience and bears no relevance to the conversation.

While 4-5x the playerbase of one server sounds impressive, when the numbers are... 230-250 people, maybe that doesn't really create a great sample size to provide as evidence for your assertions.

I haven't seen a single person in the 'pro' faster xp crowd attack anyone. In fact, their responses have been pretty reasonable, despite being all but spat on by the 'anti' faster xp crowd. And nobody here has been 'screaming' for faster xp, we've simply posted saying that this is what we prefer and presenting the case for why faster xp is a good thing.

And here you're attacking another poster for not agreeing with your opinion and then putting words in his mouth. Come on man, don't talk about one crowd attacking the other and then immediately be the person attacking another poster who doesn't agree with you.

See the above statement. Some of us actually find enjoyment in raiding and hanging out with friends while the game is still fun (before the ***personal opinion*** disaster fire that Live is), and these TLEs are an opportunity to hang out with people that we haven't seen in a couple of years and get to re-experience the nostalgia of beating up Venekor and Vox with. Nobody who wants to be "SERVER FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" for our "achievements in a computer game because of RL lackings" would be excited about the faster xp gain. All the faster xp gain does is reduce the gap between the people willing to no-life for a week and the people who have jobs. This is the most casual-friendly server that they have put out yet.
    Mizgamer62, Zenji and Tyrius like this.
  14. Tyrius Guest

It's designed to create as many alts and gear them as you see fit. I think this 16 week per expansion and free trade is perfect honestly.
  15. Zenji Well-Known Member

I don't recall saying that, but I do post a lot of nonsense on these forums. So please post a link of my comment where I said people shouldn't be able to set their own XP rate or how I would be upset if someone got something for doing it?
  16. Venser Active Member

everyone is going to have a slightly skewed best version of tle. anyone arguing about xp rates aren't the ones who plan on raiding, raiding competitively, and sticking around to just compete in raids down the road. whether its current content or those not worried are just wanting to perform at the top of their class and win raids.

as Kander has noted many years ago in discord, somewhere.. TLE is about nostalgia. It's not OG EQ2, but it's as much nostalgia they can fit into a traditional type launch. not everyone is going to be pleased, but at least I know those who dont care about xp generally are raiders or crafters.

yes all of this content has been cleared a billion times. but each TLE is a slightly new rendition of how long fights last or play out (broken add HP) making content sometimes feel fresh as far as a challenge goes. I do also enjoy helping people learn to play their swash a little better if people are willing to learn. There's just so much more in this game than "rate of experience".

if everyone here that is complaining about xp gain kills contested Vox and clears the Gnoll raid in T5 id consider some of the points of view more seriously. but the facts are that those who complain about the xp rates aren't even going to see all of the content and blame that they leveled too fast to form up for a contested Vox kill, or to get their prismatics even.
    Mizgamer62 and Zenji like this.
  17. boho Member

First, LOTRO is a different game.

You're falling into the social player fallacy: if the XP is slow, people will stay around and talk to me longer. This isn't true. But the opposite isn't true either: fast XP doesn't make people stay around either. XP, fast or slow, doesn't matter outside of the extremes.

What makes people stick around is new content. Keep things moving. When people get bored of your content, they play other games. And every time somebody goes and plays something else, there's a chance they don't come back. Four months of some of the most boring content in the game's history is a LOT of opportunities not to come back.
    adaria likes this.
  18. Kindread Active Member

This is personally what I wished for, but I may be in the minority ...

• 4 week Expansion unlocks
    • Double raid loot
    • Reduce the lockout timers by 50%
    • Allow Channelers and Beastlords
      • Increase raid boss damage and health by 30-50%
      • impart a potency penelty to beastlords that is reduced with each xpac.
    • The first AA tree unlock starts in Classic
    • Summoner damage nerfed so badly no one wants to play one
  19. TheGreatGatsby Active Member

I can tell you from the experience of Fallen Gate that having BL/Channeler from the get-go is a big mistake unless they're willing to make big, sweeping changes. Increasing raid boss damage and introducing Channelers is exactly what they did there and it ended up making Channeler for the MT group necessary to kill bosses. Not just "Best for the raid comp" but straight up mandatory. Guilds had to have multiple people with Channeler alts or someone willing to share their pw in case the Channeler player couldn't make it. If you want to bring Channelers in but more equalize the healing, the best thing that I can think of would be to make bosses attack faster, not harder. In my head, this makes it so that other healers could keep up while if played well while not making the channeler's damage reduction mandatory. I'm sure there's flaws to this approach.

I DO really like the idea of double raid loot and lockout timers reduced, as well as the idea of having some AA trees available in classic. This would certainly be a lot of fun, but would also probably lead to some unhealthy amounts of time spent at the computer (probably what, 4-5 nights a week of raiding?) I do NOT really like the proposed summoner damage nerf. :)
  20. Zenji Well-Known Member

Yup you probably are. But different strokes for different folks.