Varsoon TLE Server FAQ

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Accendo, May 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

By that logic, even if XP was 5 times slower than live, that would just mean 10 hours instead of 2. Even if it took 20 hours to get to level 50, what difference will that make other than punishing people who choose not to grind 8+ hours a day?
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

And if what you enjoy is quickly out leveling content, you can choose to play on any of the live servers.
    adaria and Frostfang like this.
  3. Zenji Well-Known Member

we hit 50 in less than 8 hours on Kaladim launch, who cares if people do it in 4 hours on Varsoon? It doesn't hurt anyone to have faster leveling.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  4. Zenji Well-Known Member

My suggestion allows for people to level at their preferred speed on Varsoon.
    Your suggestion is, go play somewhere else.

You can see why the devs decided to increase XP rates, rather than listen to you.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  5. Revvix Well-Known Member

Why not just allow everyone to pick their level at character select if you're going to argue that grinding levels is a bad thing for a TLE. For those of us who have played the game many times, fast leveling can be fun and no matter how slow the curve is, we'll find a way to PL. However, for new players and players returning after 10+ years, out-leveling a dungeon before even seeing half of it with their group has got to feel pretty dumb and unsatisfying. It makes it very difficult for pugs to sustain themselves when members of the group are constantly leaving to go to the next dungeon because they gain 5-8 levels in an hour. If most people agree that Kaladim felt fast and they didn't like it, and this is being advertised as even faster, then there's plenty of valid reasons for concern.
    Schmetterling, adaria and Frostfang like this.
  6. Zenji Well-Known Member

If there actually is an abundance of players who want to spend more than a hour in a dungeon, you should have no problem making a group that locks their combat xp and stays in that dungeon.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  7. Revvix Well-Known Member

If there actually is an abundance of players who want to spend less than an hour in a dungeon, you should have no problem making a group that gets PL'd by a max level SK. ;)
    Silvermoon, adaria and Frostfang like this.
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

Your suggestion defeats the whole purpose of the TLE servers. If everything is like live, then it's really just another live server that requires a subscription. The TLE servers are supposed to offer a nostalgic alternative to the live servers.
  9. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

That is quite the leap. And leaping isn't unlocked until RoK.
  10. boho Member

SIXTEEN WEEKS?!? That’s way, WAY too long at Live XP rates! Try 8 or 10 with 4-6 for the bad expansions (DoF, DoV part 1, AoD, DoV Part 2).
    Beneeto, Frostfang, Smashey and 2 others like this.
  11. Zenji Well-Known Member

The whole purpose of a 2-3 year long TLE server is the 1-50 leveling process? :rolleyes:

On Kaladim it took ~8 hours, on Fallen Gate it took ~50 hours. Making it 4 hours on Varsoon doesn't change what the vast majority of people will be doing for 99% of their time on the server. Which is playing at max level.

Hyperbole is not a good look on you.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  12. adaria Member

agree 100% on EVERYTHING you said
    Silvermoon likes this.
  13. Revvix Well-Known Member

It's a weird hill to die on when your whole argument is that it doesn't affect you anyway. Clearly you're going to zoom to 50 in a guild group and do end game content on day 1. That's cool, go for it. I'm probably going to do the same. However, arguing that the server design should reflect that playstyle is ludicrous when most players are casual gamers who are playing for the TLE experience. Designing an MMORPG around the minority hardcore raiding scene who want to rush through everything is a sure-fire way to make a server die an early death.
  14. Creasote Well-Known Member

So wizards and warlocks become viable in ROK?
  15. Revvix Well-Known Member

Wizards and Warlocks are viable from vanilla, as far as I know. They are decent DPS and Ice Lash / Curse of Darkness are great utility. Summoners usually out parse them but they work great together in the same group. Warlocks are especially good around TSO from what I remember due to the huge AOE encounters and multiple-add DPS checks.
  16. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

How is faster XP catering to "hardcore" players? I'm not sure if you just haven't thought it through, or if there is some hidden logic that we're supposed to divine by reading between the lines. Surely faster XP benefits casual players more, by encouraging people to level alts, reducing the barrier to entry, and enabling it so casual players don't get left behind if they miss the initial rush of players or only have a few hours to play per week? If anything, I'd say a faster rate of XP benefits the sweaty no-lifers the least.
  17. boho Member

With modern itemization none of the content is difficult enough to necessitate excluding classes. The earliest that could change is DoV.
  18. Frid Member

I am fine with most of this apart from.

1) Please exp rate has to be WAY slower, more or less than the one we had in the original TLE servers. Kaladim was way too fast. People just don't like outleveling a dungeon in one hour, gathering becomes unrewarding etc.

2) Raids and duneons NEED to be tuned to be more difficult and loot has to be tuned. For example, what's the point of having a super cool dungeon like Nektropos Castle the return if the drop is so bad? That leaves you with Icy Dig as your only option. I really don't want to be doomed to run Icy Dig over and over when you could easily revamp Nek Castle, the instance in CT, Menagerie and whatever more we have in Classic. Also, the content needs to be way more challenging when raiding and when grouping. I remember poets palace being so easy it was pointless, same with every other instance.
    Frostfang, Viconya and Silvermoon like this.
  19. Revvix Well-Known Member

Hardcore players want to rush through content and hit max level instantly. So faster XP caters to the hardcore playstyle. FAST, NOW, GET 50, RUSH VOX, GO GO GO. WE NEED A CHANTER, LEVEL IT BY TOMORROW. etc. I know because I've been a part of it for a long time.

Casual players want to hang out, enjoy the content, and gain new spells/abilities at a reasonable rate. They want to stop and smell the roses, do quests, explore zones, craft spells and gear as they level, go to different places in the same level tier. They don't care if they fall behind, they aren't trying to compete with you. I know this, because I've introduced numerous new players to the game for the first time and this is what they wanted to do. Even on Kaladim, the new players I brought to the game felt super rushed and overwhelmed with so many new spells and changing zones every hour. Of the 4 I introduced to the game, only 1 continued to play more than a month after hitting max level. They didn't feel like they knew how to play their characters or what the world was about, because it all came at them too fast. Every group was a stressful situation for them to struggle and keep up.

Think of Korean style MMORPGS where you start at level 10 and get 10 new abilities every level. It's obnoxious and this is the same principle but not quite as severe. If 8 hours, why not 4 hours, if 4 hours why not 2 hours, if 2 hours why not instantly at character select? The argument is silly. There has to be a line somewhere. A curve that makes the content feel like a full dungeon, but doesn't force you to run that dungeon 20 times. This is basic MMORPG game design. Right now, we're at the content feeling like half a dungeon, and you get 5 levels doing it. It's so out of touch with what the majority of the player base wants from an MMORPG experience.
  20. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

I never said anything about anyone competing with anyone else. I am curious though, why it it not an issue for them if they fall behind?
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.