Fixed Internally 2 Step Authentication "required," but doesn't work

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Bhayar, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Okay, some weird chit is going on atm. I was just in game and got an in game notification that due to some odd activity, I needed to implement 2 step Authentication, which I have attempted to do for the last effin' hour, but it's simply not working. Doesn't apparently want to accept my cell number even though it didn't have a problem sending it the code to enter to implement 2 step authentication.
    Ever since that last GU, some weird stuff has been going on with this game and now, after a week of resolving problems and finally got in, my account goes belly up on a Saturday at noon due to "suspicious activity?" The only suspicious activity I've seen is being able to actually log in and play.
    And ofc, no one's around to try and resolve the problem, so looks like another wasted weekend of not playing. I am beyond frustrated atm.
  2. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I've filed three separate tickets on this problem and have not received one single response nor or they showing up in activity. I find this odd since I had an active one running for about a week or so following the last GU and CS was very quick to respond. Posted on the forums as well since no one apparently is minding the store where support tickets are concerned. Supposedly, some alleged "illegal activity" on my account occurred when I was actually in game on Saturday doing OSers. The 2 step authorization process isn't working, which means in effect the game can't be accessed. I just checked it 10 minutes ago and went through the process and it simply isn't working.

I find it odd that not only are my CS support tickets going into a hole somewhere, no one from DBG is apparently acknowledging the problem on the forums either. I did note someone else had the same exact problem this weekend that I reported. In my world, "no response" is considered a response and not a very positive one.

I guess we'll see if someone can make the effort to reach out and see if we can't get this resolved.
    Twyla likes this.
  3. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

Alot of people having issues with this.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

AvenElonis, when you say "alot of people having issues with this", can you elaborate on what "this" is? The 2 step authentication process failing, petitions/CS tickets going into an hole somewhere and remaining unanswered or acknowledged, the alleged "illegal activity" or lack of dev or company representatives responding to forums or all of the above, haha.
    Thanks.
  5. Denmum Developer

I'm sorry this is happening to you (and yes, there are some others with the issue). I know that it must be extremely frustrating for you and the others that are having the issue.

The reason there has been "dev" silence is because that the main interaction on the forums and discord are from designers and community, and the people who have to fix the 2-factor issue are systems people, which is another kettle of fish entirely. While I don't like speaking up when the issue is utterly out of my hands, I wanted to be sure you understand that the resounding silence is because the people who are working on it just aren't in here to speak for themselves.

While they try to beat it into submission, can you update your most recent ticket with the exact steps to reproduce the error? Click here, enter this, click that, etc., etc. Also note the country of origin for the phone number and any other nigglies you can think of.

Thanks!
    Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  6. Taled Well-Known Member

I cannot speak for everyone, but based on conversations I have been having and a friend of mine who actually got hit with this yesterday when he tried to claim his monthly 500 DBC (10 heritage crates, really, but..) this is the progression of the issue:
    1) Try to claim item from marketplace, get told you need a phone number/2FA for security.
    2) Attempt to add phone number for 2FA
    3) Website 'times out' when attempting to enter the code sent to your phone and no longer allows you to 'edit your security settings' and now states 2FA is 'required' which means it is not enabled, but you cannot do anything until it is enabled.
    4) You can no longer play EQ2.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  7. Taled Well-Known Member

(For what its worth, I attempted to enable 2FA on a throwaway account that did NOT have the initial 'You need a phone number added for security reasons!' issue that enabled the back-end '2FA required!' flag, and 2FA activation works fine. There appears to be some issue inside the 2FA required flag code that is causing it to fail out.

My monthly DBC claim hits tomorrow, so we'll see if I get hit by this or not. I'd be willing to test out with an account that is broken, but that's against the EULA, so... /shrug)
  8. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Denmum, I can't update the ticket(s) because not one of them apparently exists, despite the fact that I've tried completing them three different times and sending them over the last three days. Trying to create another one seems about as pointless as the current 2 step authentication process. I know they're disappearing somewhere because when I try filling out another ticket, it autofills 2-step authentication. I'm inferring it wouldn't do that ordinarily, but I don't know the process, so I could be wrong.

The 2 step authentication error is fairly straightforward--I'm doing this from memory:
    1. go to Account
    2. Log in
    3. Select Advanced/Security
    4. Enter Answer to Secret question
    5. Select your mobile phone number
    6. Check box at bottom
    7. Watch your phone "ding!" with the secret code
    8. Enter secret code
    9. Get mesage, "Sorry, this process isn't working right now" or something to that effect. You'd think I'd have it memorized as many times as I've tried using it the last 4 days. If the exact wording is important, I can do it again, but I'm thinking they don't have multiple messages for this step. It either works or it doesn't.

I'm primarily interested in knowing two things. 1. How to get it actually fixed and 2. How does logging in and doing OSers trigger a message "there is unusual activity on your account" and then go through a lockdown process. I'm feeling a somewhat like the guy who rents a car, goes to the lot, but the car isn't available and no one can tell you where it is, but please keep paying a monthly fee anyway.

Again, I sincerely appreciate your help in this even though it's not your area of responsibility or expertise. Why am I not surprised the only person to step up is a former player? Yes, a little frustration is showing up after 4 days of repeatedly trying to complete 2 step authentication to no avail and zero response (if they're even going through) on the CS tickets. Any rate, thanks for showing some leadership in a time of need.
  9. Taled Well-Known Member

For what it's worth - this *APPEARS* to be fixed, now.
  10. Denmum Developer

Please DO try again now, and post if you have continued issues. Thanks!
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I'm in!! Denmum, THANK YOU so much for your help. I'd say more, but I have way too much catching up to do. I owe you.

I had to add this addendum because I'm still laughing with tears coming down my face. I mentioned Niami's name in connection with help getting this problem resolved and someone said, "Niami must have gone Ruth Langmore on someone." You'd have to be a fan of Ozark to know this reference. Thinking I'll be chuckling for days afterward.
    Breanna and Denmum like this.