If You Love Decorating...

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Almee, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

I just spent over an hour drooling over the decorating done, by Denmum and others, in the dungeons on Public Test. My mind boggles at the creativity shown by the various decorators and I have been in the houses of the Duponts, Forbes, and others.

There is some seriously exquisite decorating and it is worth the time and trouble to make a character, on Public Test, ask for a dungeon invite, and go marvel at what has been done. Actually, you probably don't need an invite to just visit. I go to plunder so I have to get invites for my characters.

I look at what I did before getting schooled by these decorators and I think I've become much better at decorating as a result of studying their work. Styles of furniture, I never considered mixing before, turn out to work splendidly together. And I'm ashamed, as a past art instructor for the local college, to say that they have even taught me a lot about color combinations. I'm using what I've learned in decorating my real home.

The only downside, to learning new decorating techniques and tricks. is that it is making it hard for me to go to bed at a reasonable hour. When something catches my eye, I immediately want to start decorating a new home.

It's currently 2 hours past my bedtime and I know I'm not going to fall asleep due to thinking about what I'm going to do in the house I'm currently working on. I guess it is a good thing I only play on test, daily, 4 months out of the year. Next week it's back to Maj'Dul and no more free goodies, stored in dungeons, to use in decorating my houses. I may have to periodically sneak back to Public Test, once in awhile, to decorate another house lol.
  2. Smallcorners Well-Known Member

People still store things in dungeons? I have not messed with them since the visiting/grouping/vanishing issue a few years back, and honestly I cannot for the life of me remember how to even get into them anymore. I do know they are no longer supported though.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. elflover Well-Known Member

Yes people use them to store house items like crazy. To get or make one open your character sheet click the dungeons tab, there's a top button to create one or click edit to enter one that has already been made. Only down side to them is if you add someone else (only toon that made can enter until you add alts or others if you wish) anyone with trustee can delete it and will delete everything in it as well. I use them to sort items by events but am now using the house item depos to store non event things which has help reduce adding/making more dungeons.

The ones on public test server I know Kasa and Mum has a lot of the deco/dumping of items. It is great to see and just look at what you can do with the stuff.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  4. Denmum Developer

Test, with their lack of economy, has some player-created dungeons that are furniture free-for-all giveaway dungeons. Players donate their surplus furniture from event testing and the like, and anyone who has requested access to the dungeons can go take items from them as needed. Some of them just have everything dumped in, others have been decorated by Kasa to make it easier to find items within a theme (one room is kitchen type stuff, another is plants and garden stuff, etc.)

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/hallllppp-furniture-explosion.599611/

(accessing them is from your character sheet, when you're in an overland zone, FYI)
  5. Almee Well-Known Member

Denmum, is there an easy way to digitally record our houses? I see walk-throughs, on YouTube, and would like to do that with all my houses. I tried a video program, that says it will digitally record a computer game, but I think they left out a direction, that I imagine most people know, but I don't know, being a total novice at recording through a software program.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  6. elflover Well-Known Member

Ive used OBS studio not sure what anyone else uses. Never saw any instructions but found easy enough to record, its just remembering anytime you open need to add your mic if doing a talk walk through, (yes I've forgotten lol).
  7. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

30 second OBS crash course, because I love it and have been learning a lot about streaming lately...

[IMG]

1. Stream preview
    What your audience will see. Where you can also click and drag to move sources (overlay text, video) around

2. Scene selection
    A scene is a collection of sources, so you can save different layouts and whatnot.

3. Sources
    Choose what to output, specific game windows, entire screen, audio sources ETC.
    For video or text, their position will determine what is visible.
    (IE you want your actual game lowest, and any text overlays above it)
    You can also click the eye to easily hide or show a source (hiding a mic source MUTES it)

4. Audio Mixer
    Simply set audio levels for your different audio sources.

5. Controls
    If you are just recording for yourself, start recording is all you need.
    Otherwise, you can get your stream links from whatever platform and they are pretty easy to add in settings.

(Ignore multiple output plugin, but it is used to output to say Twitch and YouTube at the same time)

Also no idea why I still lurk here! >.> Haven't logged in for years...
  8. Momo Well-Known Member

Awesomest! So many thankses for this :)
  9. elflover Well-Known Member

Your allowed to lurk we like it ! And that's a good crash course lol
  10. Denmum Developer

Thank you for the OBS crash course! I've been using Debut Video Capture since I purchased it for my website a couple years ago and I am still trying to find the time/energy to do much with it. I've done some small videos for quest walkthroughs for YouTube, and one of these days I really want to try to get the hang of streaming, so I can do streaming during my Extra Life gaming marathon in the fall.
  11. Chikkin Well-Known Member

Just a note that they are very much still supported. You just no longer get coins and experience, so not much use really running them as a dungeon. That's why people use them just for decorating a.k.a. placing their house items in them. Unless devs decide to close them altogether they are safe as item storage
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

This is yet another reason why I love spreadsheets so; if I'm struck with something BRILLIANT! and it must be recorded for posterity NOW! I can have someplace to scribble it down on/in, with a line about "Denmum [or whoever] has at least 47 of these in her Dungeon! Yay!" in the NOTES column. ;->

Doesn't mean I'm gonna act on it right away (we rarely have swaps/contests/challenges on Public Test, sadly :-/), or get to sleep right away secure in the knowledge that I at least put my brilliant idea down somewhere... ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

What Chikkin said...the cool thing about dungeon storage is that there's 2000 spaces to put stuff in (not sure a House Depot would fit in there, or Expanders). The bad thing about dungeons, that always scares me, is the occasional vanishing act, yeah, when there's a server merge or Consolidation or whatever, but the good thing is, you can save the layout file, like any other house/Guild Hall (/save_layout <filename> or choose from a list), just in case. Still, I don't put anything in mine that I can't replace very easily, like something from a holiday merchant after I've done the qualifying quest to be able to buy more, or something from the Marketplace or Loyalty Merchant or something I can make myself. :-/

I admire the bravery of folks who do this kind of thing, but a good thing about Public Test is they're not gonna mess with us: no merges, no Great Consolidations, no nothin'. ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  14. Almee Well-Known Member

Thank you Amalar. I'll see if your instructions work for me.

There are a couple of reasons I'd like to record my sessions. The first is I can record bugs that are hard to explain with words such as the items in my backpack playing musical slots. The other is to record my houses so I can easily see if I'm getting into a rut with my decorating. Unfortunately, my mic and sound are broken on my laptop and maybe that is causing OBS to balk but I suspect it is just my mind is out to lunch.