bookworm achievement

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by girney, Apr 2, 2022.

1. girney Active Member

does anyone have 50 tome quests? i have played eq2 since day one and have done 7350 quests but only have credit for 27 tome quests. only creature catalog ones are listed. surely there are other book quests that count as tome. i have bought or collected every book quest i can and still no achievement. i have betrayed twice so i have quite a few quests done on the freeport side as well as qeynos. any help would be appreciated
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

What achievement category would that be found under? Quests?

I'll take a look at what I have.
  3. girney Active Member

in completed quests there is a tome category. it is under quests in achievements
  4. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Ahh here we go. I only have 27/50 completed as well. Given how long this game has been going, I'm inclined to believe that it's an achievement that didn't pan out.

It's like with Heritage Quests. "Is Another Man's Treasure" is the achievement for completing 85 Heritage quests. There are only 83 in the game, as there hasn't been enough of a dev team to properly focus on adding any more heritage quests into the game. 2013's Tears of Veeshan was the last expansion to include multiple heritage quests, and then another wasn't seen until Kunark Ascending in 2016. There hasn't been another one since.

Looking at the "Tome" category of quests, there hasn't been another one since Kingdom of Sky back in 2006.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. girney Active Member

i wonder why they came out with an update? and yes, it is frustrating to have achievements that are unattainable like the heritage and hallmark
    • The "Bookworm" achievement that had been hiding deep in the books to escape notice, has now been added to the Quests section of the achievements tab, and should retroactively count any progress that you made towards this achievement.
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

I'd say this is actually completely borked. I just checked on my oldest toon who did dozens of book quests back in the day. She has 19 things listed in the journal under 'Tome' and they're all catalogue quests, which used to be listed under the Catalogue category. After all, that's what it's for, right? I can't actually find any of my book quests in the completed journal. I found one active one 'Dance of the Ancients' which is categorised simply as 'Feerrott' so presumably all the completed ones are scattered throughout the zone categories.

IF there's going to be a Bookworm achievemnt I'd strongly suggest that all the old book quests get retroactively flagged to be in it, particularly given the large number of hours involved in completing them. And I'd rather like the catalog quests back in the catalog section where I can find them when I'm checking for them. There's no reason why they can't still be counted for the achievement from there.
    girney likes this.
  7. girney Active Member

on eq2u there are 122 tome collections that should count towards this achievement. the only type listed under tome on my toon are catalog quests. if you are supposedly fixing a problem then go all out. i doubt anyone has more than 27 "officially". i have played since day one so 27 is just not realistic
  8. Taled Well-Known Member

Most likely it's just that the book quests aren't categorized properly... Someone would need to flag down all those quests and get one of the devs to go in and recategorize them, etc. Whether or not it's worth the time, on the other hand...
  9. Tkia Well-Known Member

The catalog quests have already been recategorised once from catalog to tome.
  10. Mezaka Active Member

I have 29/50 completed. No idea how I got the other two over the 27 catalog quests.

Maybe 'Tome' here also refers to the flying tome in Planes of Power/Kunark Ascending that you could get a quest from?

However, I agree that something isn't being counted correctly toward this achievement. That, or there are either other hidden tome quests to be discovered or it is a placeholder for possible future tome quests.
    Twyla likes this.
  11. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Now this is unusual, that you have 29/50 on an achievement that stopped getting updates during the game's 2nd expansion. I'm one of the highest questers in the entire game and I make it a priority to complete every quest I can find. I cross reference wikipedia and there's only 1 or 2 book quests that were taken out of the game that I never had a chance to complete. I'm curious what you might have.

The wandering flying tomes found in Kunark Ascending and Planes of Prophecy are missions, not quest-quests.
  12. Tkia Well-Known Member

'Tome' used to mean the collection quests that came from picking up loose pages in the old zones. Those would sound about right for the 122 items listed on EQ2U. We haven't really had any of those since Kunark. Creature catalogs used to be Catalogs and now seem to be tomes instead. And all the old book quests, of which there are a few dozen, and which should be the things counted first for a 'bookworm' achievement just seem to get lost among the normal quest count.
    Twyla likes this.
  13. girney Active Member

it would be nice if someone in the know would explain to us what counts as a tome and why. is it even possible to gain this achievement?
    Twyla likes this.