Bugged Shinies in The Feerrott

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Siberys, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Siberys New Member

(These were two separate bug reports in-game, but they have been consolidated into a single thread for the sake of not flooding the forum.)

Edit: Now we're up to three in the same zone!
    Edit #2: Four separate bugged locs in the same zone within three hours... this is a little crazy.

Bug #1

Category: Content
    SubCategory: Zone
    Severity: Affects gameplay
    Frequency: Rarely Happens

Zone: The Feerrott
    Character: Nelaria, Level 100 Wizard
    Server: Antonia Bayle

Summary: Bugged Collectable in The Feerrott
    Description: A bugged "!" book collectable in The Feerrott, located under a tree just north of the Alliz Tae station. It is not clipping into any objects and is reachable by players, but it still prompts a "You are too far away to interact with that." message. I am wondering if its cosmetic location differs from its mechanical location calculated by the game's code.

Bug #2

Frequency: Rarely Happens

Server: Antonia Bayle

Summary: Bugged Collectable in The Feerrott #2
    Description: Another bugged "!" book collectable in The Feerrott, this time under the walkway on zone-in (111.42, -18.59, -125.18). This also prompts a "You are too far away to interact with that." message, although this time, the shiny appears to be embedded in a solid object.

Bug #3

Frequency: Sometimes Happens

Summary: Unreachable Shiny in The Feerrott
    Description: Differs from past two reports slightly, as a "You are too far away to interact with that." status message does not pop for this shiny location. This "!" book collectable (-1,261.84, -5.77, 1,002.45) spawned on the side of a tree instead and cannot be reached by a player by any means. I have elevated the frequency to Sometimes Happens as this is the third time this has happened in a roughly 60 minute period.

Bug #4

Frequency: Sometimes Happens

Summary: Uninteractable Collectable in the Feerrott #3
    Description: Yet another shiny that can't be collected by players with another "You are too far away to interact with that. status message." This one is like #1, in that it spawned under a tree and is reachable by players, but seems to be bugged. Located at -689.50, 0.61, 168.08. This is a regular "?" collectable as opposed to the "!" book collectables.

---

Although outside of the scope of this particular thread, several other zones have also had bugged shiny locations and it might be worth creating a master-thread for shiny location reporting, if the developers would like for me to do this. This seems to be a cross-expansion issue, so creating threads for each and every zone would swiftly get out of hand. This is also very likely a low-priority issue, but is nonetheless one that I thought might be worth mentioning.
  2. Kaitheel Developer

The original game zones, like the Feerrott, were built using volumes in which the collectibles would spawn. Those regions do not handle rocks, trees, and other objects on the terrain well, and subsequently can cause the "?" to spawn in geometry or behind object collision. (Which you are more likely to encounter in zones with a lot of objects on the terrain, like the Feerrott and Nektulos Forest.) It is why we started hand placing spawn points for collectibles, long ago. Collectibles in the original zones do despawn and respawn in other locations after enough time has past, and upon server restarts, so they do not remain unreachable, but it does take some time.

~ Kaitheel
  3. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

Sad, but true - this was a very frustrating problem in older zones before the hand placing of spawn points started.
    One trick I found that -sometimes- works is to target the ? or ! and manually click the collecting ability from your knowledge book (or drag it to a hotbar button to use). Not always, but many times I've been able to pull the shiny that way when just clicking or pushing 'F' would give me the 'too far away' message (even while standing right on the darn thing!).
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And here I was, just about to start another thread along these lines (I, too, have been discouraged in The Feerrott), but this time for Enchanted Lands... :-/

Trying to report a bug dropped me into the forums, so here goes:

CATEGORY: Mechanics
    SUBCATEGORY: Items
    SEVERITY: Affects gameplay
    FREQUENCY: Always Happens

ZONE: Enchanted Lands
    TARGET: ?

SUMMARY: The category of a shiny "too far away" always happens -- under certain circumstances.
    DESCRIPTION: This one wasn't lodged IN the tree or anything, but looked accessible...disappointing to be proven wrong. :-/

I'll try Morukta's fix. :-/

EDIT: That worked! :D Thanks, Morukta! :D I'll have to hotbar that, whenever I'm in older zones. X-P

Uwk
    Morukta, Breanna and Twyla like this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Also sounds like maybe a case of the folks writing the volumes for collectible placement and the ones placing the rocks, trees, etc. weren't talking to each other... :-/

Uwk
    Breanna and Twyla like this.