Settle the Score

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Turkish, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Turkish Member

I wasn't sure where to put this so it's going here.

Most of us return to the game for TLP servers out of love/nostalgia for the way the game was when we began. The whole experience brings us back. The zones as they were (or close enough), the story lines, the friends, and the music. The original music. The Laura Karpman orchestral score that improved upon the original EQ music and inspires a deep emotional response in every EQ2 player. PLEASE BRING IT BACK.

I'm sure the person who composed the generic and vaguely ominous music of the latest expansion of the day is a great person but I promise that not one single player prefers it to the original score. The character and loading screens deserve better. EQ2 deserves better.

And while we're here, bring back the original Qeynos music please. At least for the TLP.
    Siren likes this.
  2. Cronos New Member

This is so true and important!! Atmosphere is so important for players like us… I would so love to get These changes too!! Bring the Music back!
    Turkish and Siren like this.
  3. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

There is a way to do this yourself.

Do you know how to use the custom_music folder? In EQ2 you can create a folder in the game's main directory called custom_music. In that you create the directories for the music you want to change and place MP3 files into those folders, correlating to the files you want to override. Copy the mp3 for Oakmyst Forest and save copies as the filenames of the files you're replacing. You will have classic Qeynos music now.

I do the same for the loading screen music so I can have classic loading music whenever I zone.

1. Steal underpants.
    2. Create custom_music folder in main EQ2 directory.
    3. Recreate file structure for zone music you want to change.
    4. Copy music for Oakmyst Forest.
    5. Paste file into new zone music directory as filenames for MP3s you're replacing. There will be four of them.
    6. Profit.
    Turkish, Mountbatten and Liliun like this.
  4. Turkish Member

This is awesome! Thank you!
    I did not know about this, I will attempt to do it but I probably need a video...
  5. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

It's actually nice and simple. Once you've created the custom_music folder, all you need to do is copy whatever it is you want to the equivalent file name. For example, to change the loading/character screen, all I did was copy the eq2theme.mp3 to custom_music, and then rename it as below.

[IMG]

Likewise, to change the Qeynos music, copy the qeynos.mp3 and catacombs.mp3 files in the zones folder to custom_music\zones\GU64 and rename them appropriately. I copied it twice for qeynos, since there are two themes depending on your location in the city. You may want a third copy to also override elders_grove_theme.mp3.

[IMG]

If you want to do the same with freeport, the process is similar, and I believe the target destination is in custom_music\zones\_exp08\freeport_revamp. Honestly the most difficult part is just figuring out what files it is you need to overwrite, because the naming and folder structure is somewhat inconsistent.
    Liliun, Turkish and Zenji like this.
  6. Turkish Member

This community is awesome, thank you so much! This will increase my enjoyment of the game immensely!
    Liliun likes this.