TAB Targeting

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Regn, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Regn Member

I'm trying to quickly TAB-target and attack, but I keep TAB-targeting flowers and rocks, which interrupts my flow.

Is there a keybind or setting to only TAB-target mobs?
  2. Melkior Well-Known Member

3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Try using F8. That should issue the command /target_next_npc
  4. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

I have that bound to ` (directly above tab). In certain situations tab is still useful, but I use ` more.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  5. Bhayar Well-Known Member

The tilde key works. I use F8. I was told years ago to never use tab targeting as that can have disastrous consequences in heroic or raid zones. I'm surprised at how many people still use it and wonder why they're not pulling the next closest mob, but one clear across the room.
    Accendo and Breanna like this.
  6. Breanna Well-Known Member

Yea I was taught to use the F8 to target the closest thing. Never knew the Tilde key worked the same.
    Siren and Bhayar like this.
  7. Accendo Guest

This is absolutely going to change how I play now.
    Sigrdrifa, Bhayar, oakmiser and 2 others like this.
  8. Melkior Well-Known Member

I don't think it does by default. I think you have to reassign it. I'll have to check in game.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. oakmiser Well-Known Member

/togglethreatlistwindow - Click names on this list also.:)
    Accendo, Sigrdrifa, Bhayar and 2 others like this.
  10. Bhayar Well-Known Member

This works as well. Use this primarily in groups or raiding--especially when you're keeping track of mobs, like adds that have to be targeted and killed, etc. as part of scripting.
    oakmiser likes this.
  11. Bhayar Well-Known Member

For those who are interested in the actual "tab" target mechanic and why it doesn't work well in rooms/zones with mobs is this. Imagine your have mobs surrounding you in a zone. You pull the closest mob to you. It brings in others that surround you, but are 10 meters apart. Imagine a compass surrounding you, with North being the direction you're facing for the first mob so you're at 00 degrees or due North. Tab targeting apparently works on a "compass point" navigation heading, not the closest mob. So, you just killed one of the three mobs surrounding you now and you hit tab to get the next target which is due East at 90 degrees. Well guess what, Shriner. The Boss mob you didn't want or a whole cluster just standing by are at compass heading of 5 degrees North of the mob you just fought. You hit tab and all of a sudden you're facing a wipe condition because you just pulled the boss or the huge collection of mobs about 35 meters away that you thought weren't going to be impacted.

So use the tilde key or F8. Some people actually reprogram TAB key to tilde or F8, but whatever works for you is great. That is why a pure "tab" target isn't really effective in an area where there are mobs you absolutely don't want to pull.
    Breanna likes this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

This is what I use, not just on tanks but my other toons as well. It helps me to be able to target exactly what I want, even when there are a ton of things in my view.
    oakmiser likes this.