Fixed Internally Crashing becoming a common thing

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Unnattural, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Interesting idea. Going from dx9 to 11 or even 12 could not only improve gpu rendering a bit more, but could also allow for better multicore usage. Now that Wine / Proton / Steamplay works beautifully with DX9, 11 and even 12 for the most part, I hopefully shouldn't have to worry about being left behind on Linux :) That being said, I am already reaping the benefits of playing EQ2 on Linux due to Proton and DXVK (Vulkan), which results in better stability, higher framerates and better loading times, but it would be nice to further improve on that for everyone else.

Could be a huge undertaking though. I still remember when Age of Conan decided to implement DX10 or when WoW went the DX11 and 12 route, and now Guild Wars 2 seems to be willing to go down the same path with DX11. I do want to say that EQ2 still looks beautiful on DX9. What the devs have been able to pull off with DX9 and an engine that came out 2004 is absolutely stunning to say the least. There are a few games out there that started with DX9 and later upgraded to DX10 or 11, but still look and feel inferior to our oldie but goldie, EQ2.
    Myxx and Breanna like this.
  2. Ganador Active Member

Continue to see several crashes a day primarily when zoning or when swapping toons. Mostly get the fatal error that has been reported many times in this forum but on some occasions the game just closes completely with no message of any kind.
    Myxx likes this.
  3. Kojacke Active Member

Yep, getting same crashes over and over and over and over. The amount of time spent in game doesn't matter, I've crashed after literally less than a minute of game time. Either: the game fails to load to character and boots to character select, the game just closes to desktop, or I get an error similar to this one:
    [IMG]
    barcevik, Bluhr, Myxx and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Are you guys using the full client download or the streaming version of EQ2?

A few Msinfo or dxdiag logs would be nice too, if those are still a thing nowadays. Could help the devs troubleshoot this a bit easier. I wouldn't know tbh, haven't played with Windows in eons.
    Twyla likes this.
  5. AOE1 Well-Known Member

I am getting that fatal error multiple times a day now.
    Twyla likes this.
  6. DENSER Well-Known Member

Same, after rng thing with items , now Comes the rng crash. Will you ve luck today or not ? Just take it as a bonus mini game ;)

Fatal error, or character page, who will be the winner today!
    Twyla likes this.
  7. AOE1 Well-Known Member

This is getting really old. There is no further information I can give other than I can zone and immediately get that fatal error message and have to reboot OR I zone and go into limbo then get that whitish screen which say to X out and reboot. This is multiple times in a day, EVERDAY. For more information I can suggest a Dev log in one their toons and spend awhile zoning. There is no other suggestion I can offer. Kojacke already posted the error message we are getting.
    Twyla likes this.
  8. mythicaly Active Member

today alone on kael 5 crashes for me and and co leader he uses defualt i us darq
    Twyla likes this.
  9. Lucutious Active Member

Crashed in Guild hall. No message, no nothing, game just quit. Maj'Dul
    Myxx and Twyla like this.
  10. mythicaly Active Member

doesnt matter what we're doing..zoning in quests, standing still, game closes no error msg nothing, just straight to desk top
    Smashey, Myxx, Lateana and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sykle I use too many words sometimes.

We had 9 people crash in one raid on Sunday, all in the zone Forlorn Gist: Emerging Deceit. 5 of those crashes were on the last name Lythania Dyrmelia (or however you spell it). All DX9 Errors, as shown previously in the thread.
    Myxx and Breanna like this.
  12. Myxx <Into Harms Way> Maj'Dul

I was standing at the bartender in Karuupa Jungle. Brought up my map and Clicked Svarni to teleport there.
    My game crashed and this is the error on my screen

[IMG]

Computer info :
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Display info:
    [IMG]

If you need any other information pls let me know.
    Bluhr, Quillyne and Twyla like this.
  13. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

Sometimes all I am doing is looking at my stats when the game shuts down to desktop:(
    Myxx and Twyla like this.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Although I have DirectX 9.0.c installed, about 60% of the time when entering my guildhall, I get 5 or 6 instances of this error:
    [IMG]
    Bluhr and Twyla like this.
  15. Myxx <Into Harms Way> Maj'Dul

Just crashed again. I was in Renfrey's basement, picked up the 2 crafting quests and when I clicked the door to go to Forlorn Gist, the entire game closed No warning , no error, just *Poof!* game closed.
    Restarting, again..
  16. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

Yeah crashing 4 to 5 times day - Taking the horse in FG, running back to entrance to MW (at the big arch by Little Town), In the GH when I go our broker area, Zoning in general, and during raids (while tanking).

On any heroic run - 2 to 3 crashes before we finish the weekly.
    On any raid - 2 to 3 people crash before the zone is done.
    barcevik and Myxx like this.
  17. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

Hoping the 64 bit client coming out helps this some.
    Sigrdrifa likes this.
  18. Li'Ayr New Member

I am not sure if it is Expansion linked, but since the server maintenance on March 28 or 29th, I am randomly getting kicked at zoning, and even if it is simply being ported around our Guild Hall. It is getting worse and worse. I was getting a bit of it before the maintenance. My husband now gets it every zone. Doesn't matter if its Qeynos to Antonica, Around Qeynos, or even in and out of our different characters homes. This is with restarting our computers before getting on to play for the day.
    Twyla likes this.
  19. Telepath Active Member

The two worst zones for me are Forlorn Gist and Guild Hall. Sometimes it is a fatal error, sometimes the game just completely disappears with no warning and I'm on the desktop. Getting booted while taking the pony ride from the Forlorn Gist basement to the dungeon area is about a 50/50 coin toss. Exploring the Guild Hall on full graphics is a 100% chance to crash.
    barcevik and Twyla like this.
  20. Bluhr Member

Crashing frequently with he same "Fatal Error" messages as reported by others here. While as of late I have most frequently crashed when going from Renfry's Basement to Forlorn Gist, the game client can crash any time. Crashing on zoning is probably the most frequent time I've crashed, and ironically, it's also the most frequent reason I quit my gaming sessions to go do other things.

If I'm able to get the game client started quickly enough, I can come back before my character goes fully link dead. Unfortunately things are in a weird state when that happens. I'm not able to loot or collect anything for instance until I camp out and return.