Advice on Training Mercenaries

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Abraxas78, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Abraxas78 New Member

Correct me if I am wrong but the "Time" to train mercenaries is game time and will elapse just so long as you have your Mercenary out correct? So you can you be in your home or guildhall doing trades and the time will tick down. The same applies to mounts?
    With respect to training multiple mercenaries, my understanding is that you can only train one at a time. In other words, you have to clear the time on your initial mercenary before the training will begin on another? Is this correct? If true, it makes using a new mercenary if you are deep in the ranks of your initial mercenary discouraging.
  2. Bramdar Active Member

Mercenary training will continue even if the mercenary isn't out, and even if you're using another mercenary. I frequently use one maxed out mercenary while training up another one (although unless you're tracking the training time outside of the game, the only way to check training time remaining is to get that mercenary out again.)

You are correct that you can only train one at a time. If you've started training a specific level on one and then change your mind and start training another one, the training time from the first mercenary is applied to the other one (although I don't remember if it's a 1:1 conversion.)
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Ndiar Active Member

I downloaded an app from the Windows store called MultiTimer to track my merc and mount training. You can create "Folders" which I associate with my multiple accounts and in each folder I create a timer for each character, under that character I have a timer for merc, mount and research. You do not need to keep the app open for the timers to keep counting down. You will get a Windows notification when the timer is up. You can edit the timer and restart it to start a new countdown.

[IMG]
    Lateana, Ginrummy, Toven and 3 others like this.
  4. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

That is a cool idea. I see MultiTimer is available for Android, but it costs a couple bucks, so I'm going to try a free app that has already been used by 40k people with positive reviews. Being an alt'aholic makes it so hard to keep track of who is training what, LOL.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Daryx Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the MultiTimer and will check it out. Currently, I just use the Biography tab on my characters to list what merc I'm training and the level, and also put the completion date there and in my calendar app, or I carry a player-written book around if I need more space to write in. (I have been using the biography tab as an in-game note-taking device for awhile once I quit trying to come up with biographies during my initial game-play days.)
    Hartsmith and Breanna like this.
  6. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I was never good about writing biographies for my characters. Most of the time, I forget there is even a place to do that. But every now and then, a character will develop a personality that begins building a backstory in the back of my mind.
    Your use of the bio feature is certainly more clever than my use of the craftable notes that use up harvest materials and then take up space in inventory, lol. For awhile I was noting when training and such was going to be ready, but after my eyes went so bad, the script became impossible to read without sticking my face right up to the screen.

The multi timer that I downloaded for free has a nice feature of sorting it out so the shortest time shows at top. So at least you can see what is about to be ready. However, it doesn't have a way to view them the way Ndiar's does, with each item in the group appearing under each character's name. And when an item is done, it then isn't visible until you open that particular group. On the plus side, it has an audible alarm that actually read off which character had just finished spell research. It motivated me to get up off the couch to login to the game, LOL.

Some time ago, I remember coming across a Todo list that does the type of sorting that would leave anything that was completed at the top. For me, the whole point of using an app is so I don't have to open each character or scroll to the bottom. Will have to search for it.
  7. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Okay. Downloaded a Todo app. Upside: Lists everything in order of date of completion. Downside: you have to do the math (which I hate) figuring out exactly when the research or training with complete. Simple enough when it is just 24 hour increments, but then you have the 12 hour factor. Just have to remember, if it is 2 days and 12 hours from today Sunday 550 pm PST, then you'd date it 3 days from now with the alarm going off at 6 am. I think. (like I said, I hate math, so if I am wrong, please tell me, LOL)
    Not sure how it looks for items that are past due date. I think they will still appear at top IF you set the settings a certain way, but will have to run a couple tests to see what happens.
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Question for you, Ndiar. Based on that photo link, do timers that are ended also show in the list after they are completed?
  9. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

10. Ndiar Active Member

Yes they stay in the list. You can see the folders in the left for my 3 accounts have a green button. That means there is a completed timer for that account. The timer icon changes from a pause button to an curved arrow and highlights in green. You can click on the timer and you get 3 buttons in the top right corner STOP, DELETE and EDIT. After the timer completes you can hit the gear/edit button and update the time to start a new time length. Don't forget to actually kick the timer off though after you edit it by clicking the right facing arrow.

[IMG]
    Breanna and Hartsmith like this.
  11. Ginrummy Member

Thnx Ndiar!!!

This was a great thing you shared!

I´ve sorted my alts little different Because there is a swarm of alts i made everyone as a main folder and then I make a screenshot for every alt so every page gets a great theme for every alt.

Good feature in Multitimer to easy choose you backroundimages of your own.

Another funny feature is that u can edit the analog message when a timer runs out.

This morning when I started the app, a voice told me "Dakshesh, your mercenary has reached level 11!" :)

[IMG]
    Hartsmith likes this.
  12. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

The multi timer I've been using has that option too, sort of. I was using a timer to let me know that the Erollisi public quest was about to begin, but when the timer would go off, it says "public quest ended", LOL.
    Ginrummy likes this.