I’m single handedly fixing the economy…

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sweety, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Burningice Coldfire Member

I actually tracked it for the first month of the expansion, I made 217 million from selling shines and tradeskill mats. I've made another 110 million since
  2. Burningice Coldfire Member

Sounds like you've worked hard not to level, if that's the case and/or solely play on TLP servers. There's tradeskill mats that you get ~hundred of a day logging in once every 24 hours to check them from horse/plant/harvest NPCs that are worth several hundred PP each. Far more money is available if you want to actively farm for it
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Now THAT would in fact help the economy. We just don't have enough significant plat sinks anymore.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Twyla like this.
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Nope, I go to zones and work on my leveling, or on my harvesting skills. I've never been on a TLE server. I've only been on Maj'dul and Skyfire.

I think I have 3 harvest ponies on those 2 servers, total harvest ponies.
  5. Louly Well-Known Member

And that's the type of action that really annoys me. I try to sell low level at a DECENT price for low level players.
    But most of the time ONE person buys everything up. There are lower level and new players. Why do you need to do that?
    That and the ones who price low level armor in the 100's of plat are just as annoying
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

Just being real. You can get annoyed by it, but, as they say, it is what it is. If someone wants to help new players, this isn't the best way to do it.
    Pixistik likes this.
  7. Geroblue Well-Known Member

But it is the best way. I don't belong to a guild.
  8. Dude Well-Known Member

First of all you're not a new player. In multiple threads I've commented on how you could earn plat more easily. Never did I suggest that you become a member of a guild.

Again, when I see under priced items on the broker I buy them and sell them at the going market rate. I don't go hunting for them, but if I see it I'll buy it and sell it for a profit. If someone is looking to help a truly new player, the best way is to just do that directly, so that evil capitalists like me don't intervene.
    Pixistik likes this.
  9. AOE1 Well-Known Member

I generally will just give them things like maybe some spell updates they need and cannot afford? (did that yesterday for two low levels that discussed the ridiculously high price of a very low level spell). While I was at it I went ahead and gave them enough boxes so they won't need anymore storage space for awhile. I think that was a better idea than giving them plat to spend on 1 spell below lvl 20 (adept) for ridiculous plat. Sometimes it may be a few rares that they need and cannot afford? Boxes? Bags? Even a little plat. I keep an eye on general chat and often you see people who are fairly new and low levels discussing how they need something and/or returning after years being gone or just new. I can afford it and hope it keeps them in the game longer till they can afford it and help some other new player.
  10. Burningice Coldfire Member

If that's the case, you're actively working to avoid making plat. Totally a valid choice of playstyle, but definitely a choice
    Pixistik likes this.
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I disagree. I don't see this game as a profit making event. I see it as a game I like to play. I see no reason to gouge other players.
    TheInquisitor, Lateana, AOE1 and 6 others like this.
  12. Laughing Owl Active Member

Agree all told the 'rich' players are rich because they know how to play the market so if you put on brooker for a
    fair' price versus current market price 99% it is NOT going to go to a newb, but to a trader who will immediately re-list for 'market price'

Auction/OOC/ or even just /who all 1 10 can be a good way to lookf/fine newbies and offer direct help.

Likewise if you guild is 'newbie' friendly, offering things via guild depots/etc can help alot, but be more likely to truly go to those in need. (Example guild I am in on Skyfire, any new member gets 6 48 slot bags. (which on skifire 4000-6000p worth of bags, it really takes me like an hour to harves and make 100 bags, so not a big deal,, yet for a true NEW player, makes life much easier to do the basic hoarde and sell everything.

Usually when I do restock our guild bank with 48slottter, I will often make a batch of 100 46 slotters and then just start looking for initially 1-10 and then 10-20 characters and see if they need any free ones.

In short if trying to help 'new' players, make sure you are helping NEW players, not just making the 1% richer (which is what selling for cheap (or even reasonable) prices on brooker will likely due.... unless you truly Flood the market
    AOE1, Rosyposy and Dude like this.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Methinks 'market price' if in the way beyond price range, isn't market price, but gouging.

edit:And got a harvest pony on a long time character. So 4 of them now.
  14. Deckerd Smeckerd Active Member

Might help new players more by buying stuff from new players, if there is a way to figure that out? Sell your stuff for the normal high price and then find newbie items (priced more fairly) and buy those and destroy them. Especially those that are likely looted by new players. Who knows?

Buy trade skill items that have been created by low level crafters. Though, even a rich high-level person could be learning a trade, however, a rich person might not even bother trying to sell them because they don't need the platinum.
    AOE1 likes this.
  15. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

What is normal price?
    What is fair price?
    Who gets to decide that?
    You put down what you think is fair/normal, I pay your price, you get what you asked for and I get your item. We are all happy!!

I resell my new item for what I think I can get from it, I got what I asked, the buyer got what they wanted. It doesn't get more fair than that. ;)
    AOE1, Breanna and Dude like this.
  16. Deckerd Smeckerd Active Member

Can players create purchase orders? I think that if players can create purchase orders, you can pretty much fix the economy fairly rapidly. You basically have the same dynamic as sales. The very lucrative orders will get filled more quickly but since people hate to wait, the less generous purchase orders will get filled to an extent as well. That puts pressure on the market in the other direction.

Is that logical?

It also turns the market into a player quest generator too. That would allow high level characters like the OP to help the newbies quite easily and it would allow people (purchasers) that actually need or desire specific items to generate content for other players whether the purchaser stays online or not.

Additional complexity for a future iteration:
    (For armor and weapons and stat items like that, perhaps it could also be possible to place a purchase order in the form of type and stat requirements rather than specific items, so any [sword] with more than [x] of these [stats] could fill the purchase order.)

Additional complexity for another iteration:
    The broker database and the purchase order database can place automatic buy/sells against each other. So, a new purchase order can automatically purchase listed items from the broker beginning with the lowest priced, within the purchase parameters and buy any newly listed items on the broker if they meet the criteria. (Purchase orders that offer the exact same amount of platinum for an item and are tied for the lowest price are decided and filled by lottery in automatic fills). (Well, put it this way, ties can be decided by lottery wherever they occur. If you want to beat the lottery, you have to beat the price)

The current system creates competition between sellers because they create the listings. There needs to be a system of competition between buyers and sellers. Sellers tend to find the ceiling. They will undercut each other but only by necessity. Buyer listing will tend to find the floor.

GENIUS! Daybreak. You know where to send the check.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  17. DENSER Well-Known Member

As i mentionned months ago, just add Barter tab, in that of the broker. Many I'm sure would be interested in an exchange and not a pure sale.
    So yes you will tell me that it is enough to ask in tchats but pretty sure it ll be use, a lot.
    Another way to develop the exchange in an mmo, draw for it
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The only correct price is how much some idjit will pay. All of this is pixels remember. A lot of the eye-popping prices on the broker are aspirational: they are never gonna sell that thingamajig at that price. No broker pricing is ever gouging. Price gouging refers to when sellers take advantage of spikes in demand by charging exorbitant prices for necessities, and there's nothing in-game that is actually a "necessity" in that sense, because it's all pixels. And you can almost always obtain whatever it is yourself via in-game methods if you choose to do so.

I make most of the plat to support my herd of alts via one toon who has six 100-slot no-broker-tax boxes (from the Packs purchasable on the EQ2 site). She sells shinies. Right now (this will change over time as economy, demand, and availability change) if a collection item says it is level 80 or below, I price it at 5000p (unless it's a spider or ant or such, those go up for 500p). If the shiny is level 90-100, I price it at 9000p. If it's 110, I price it at 9990p. I honestly don't care if people buy it, jack the price, and try to resell. What I get with these prices is volume sales providing a significant and steady income. The only time I usually sell current-tier shinies is in the first few days after they become available, and I sell at the prevailing market price.

My carpenter sells furniture from all tiers. My other crafters sell odds and ends they've crafted. Those I just put on the broker and revisit once a month or so. The sales can add up, but aren't what I'd call steady. Selling VoV mount tack, food, arrows, and other consumables is pretty steady, but the prices drop over time gradually and you have to go in and reprice much more often.

A while back I wrote a post that is stickied in Tips and Tricks: How to Make Money in Norrath: A Guide for New and Old Alike. Any player at any level can make money.
  19. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

If you really want to help new players, stand by the PoD lift below Kelethin and give stuff away in the /ooc channel.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Tkia like this.
  20. Tkia Well-Known Member

Fire beetle eyes! :D
    AOE1 and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.