How to acquire Familiars in VoV

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Lost in Translation, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Lost in Translation New Member

Is there some questline or something that can be done to get a Familiar in game? Several of my toons are sorely lacking in that area and except for buying the worthless ones on the marketplace I was curious if they can be gotten game?
    Doobius40504 likes this.
  2. DENSER Well-Known Member

Hi,

You ve to do the familiar dayli quests, either in qeynos south ( npc near a tree) or fp harbor.
    You will be rewarded by a treasered, legendary , fabled one.

As a reminder.
    familiar won are not heillroom, u can't share em between your alts.
    You can right click and use them also as to xp your current familiar ( if you ve a legendary and loot again a legendary, use that one to xp your current familiar)

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Familiars_Wild

After maybe your question concerns the fam of this extension and are not yet in these quest rewards. I didnt done one since vov, idk if they re in that loot table
    Otherwise doing solo, they often drops
    Xillean and Pixistik like this.
  3. Almee Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing so I hope DP will let us know when VoV familiars become available though the quest.

I would also like to know how 125 players are managing to catch the grey critters without removing everything, cancelling autoattack, and removing any pets that can attack. It seems like a lot of work unless there is a simple way to remove all this stuff and then re-equip it. I've never had to do that so don't know how it is done.
  4. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Familiars can drop from zone boss crates from my observation. I've had fabled quality drop in solo a couple of time. They're rare though. There is a fairly common treasured quality one and a legendary one which drops a lot too.

Most people will see several per day blowing through the solos. Maybe post in general that you're looking for one and some kind soul will offer you one when they drop?
    Xillean likes this.
  5. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I wish I could use older familiars as appearance over VoV familiars - when I try, I get an error message.
  6. Bellamorte Active Member

They have to be the same type, ie. Land to land , flying to flying etc. You cannot use a flying familiar as an appearance for a land one.
    Hartsmith, Xillean and Breanna like this.
  7. Balcerak Well-Known Member

I run a beast lord and I simply disable any aggro by my warder and mercenary and then root the mob and quickly hit the button to capture it. Sometimes they die on the root cast, but it doesn't take long to get 3. It helps to know that higher level mobs than in fandom work for these quests. Like prickles in sarvani? are rodents. The big lizard type guys in the same zone are lizards. These aren't even grey. I've been doing the apes on the cat island in whatever zone that is as well. I may take 5 tries but 3 work.
    Doobius40504 likes this.
  8. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Thanks, I know that... I haven't gotten any older familiars to work as appearance over VoV familiars, even though I got them to work in Beta.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Darkzero Member

to catch the gray mobs, use the "creature catalog" function and use the cage

otherwise, do the heritage overseer quests to get experience boosters for your familiar
  10. Almee Well-Known Member

What a great tip. Thanks for sharing it.
  11. AOE1 Well-Known Member

I don't attempt to catch grey mobs. I delete the quest until I get one that the mob is at least green.
  12. Kotter Legendary Member

chronomage for quests to avoid grey targets.
  13. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I often just strip armor and weapons, and use a Troll Snot Flinger. I have too much stuff that procs damage.
    Miauler likes this.
  14. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Chronomentor down to about half of what level mob you want and look for mobs that will aggro you, they cant really hurt you as you are pretty much a walking god, when they attack capture them, you never have to hit them.
    Easy
    Almee likes this.
  15. Daryx Well-Known Member

Which ones have you tried and on which VOV familiars? I am using ones from various seasons on the Floraform Gorilla with no problems; during Frostfell most of my characters used the Frostfell Merry Kitten for appearance with that familiar and then have gone back to their preferred ones from all different sesaons. I even tried one from season one just to see and it worked fine (Dark Root Tender).

I've only had issues trying to use a nonflying familiar as appearance for an equipped flying familiar. Using a flying as appearance works for me on both types equipped.
  16. Almee Well-Known Member

So you can "capture" them even if they are attacking? I hate to sound so dumb but I've never had time to go out looking for familiars. I've just used the ones that came with the xpacs.
  17. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Yes, you never have to hit them, when they attack it is considered in combat, just click the cage and capture
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

They have to aggro you in order for you to use the trap bauble on them.
    Almee and Rosyposy like this.
  19. Forestchild Well-Known Member

This option helped A LOT. Was was able to stand in the pit in Kerra Island, and be gray to them, and got all three and not killed any of them cute kitties.

Thanks so much.
    Rosyposy and Pixistik like this.
  20. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

/agree with this, never thought about using creature catalog
    Almee likes this.