I gave it a shot, i really did

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vunder, Dec 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vunder Well-Known Member

I gave it a heck of a run to get back into the game and into raiding.

Those ethereal trackers as a requirement to be able to raid. That disqualified me from several raid teams I was talking too.

The prestige points I was working on, but doable.

The resolve was easy, Im at 6900

The pot I don't get. I'm sitting at 540k and I see no way of getting past the required 600. I'm in full logos gear, people i'm grouped with in the SAME gear have 50-60k more pot than me.
    chattie likes this.
  2. Dead Alt Account Well-Known Member

Etherial buffs are the new fervor runes. Run the weeklies until you get them and you should be good.
  3. RubyHOF Member

Things seem to be balanced/tuned with the assumption that you or enough of your team has enough P2W buffs/fam/mount or ethereal substitute. That's potentially where a fair portion of your missing potency is. That and the ethereal buff AA potency you are already tracking.
    chattie likes this.
  4. Aethos Well-Known Member

This ethereal requirement is kind of soul crushing to me too. My server is low population, PQs commonly go ignored, heroic groups don't form up super often, so my only consistent option to get them is solo weeklies.

So...one solo weekly a week....this is going agonizingly slow.
    Hartay and chattie like this.
  5. Observing Active Member

Level up more characters (preferably with self healing)
  6. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

Right, in order to play the only character you want, you have to make dozens of alts and do the same repetitive boring grind on each of them for weeks and months. Makes sense. A perfect instruction of and a great approach to how leave the game for good.
  7. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

Granted, developers did a lot of steps towards new and returning players this expansion. But some things like training time reducers and etherials almost nullify the effort. Especially etherials.

A funny and amusing event, that initially ran for a couple of months and gave not only good items (which were not so good next expansion already), but also a purpouse to collectors, was turned into half a year "grind you mandatory gear, or you'll be significantly weaker for the next year or two". And now it's even more mandatory and lasts forever.

Does a new/returning player really need to spend up to a year in order to play the game with the rest? Is there a single person who is ready for this? I do not think so.
    AOE1, Obano, Aethos and 1 other person like this.
  8. Priority Well-Known Member

Always so doom and gloom with you. "Up to a year". Lol, please. 40 weeks absolutely maximum if you do the absolute bare minimum. How hard is it to make a single alt and cut that in half? Apparently, if youre Beyoncia, impossible.

Just roll an alt, do the solo weekly, and get your stuff if you really wanna play. Sounds like youre doing nothing but standing around in game waiting for something to happen anyhow.
    Observing likes this.
  9. dorotea Well-Known Member

This is far from the first post saying, in effect, I came back or am new - the game consists of raiding - I can't play because it takes so long to get geared up because I missed the last expansions. The responses tend to fall into three categories. 1. The developers are doing a miserable job, you are right. 2. A sympathetic - yes things are tough, it is unfortunate, here are some things you can try to do. 3. A not too sympathetic - you shouldn't expect to be equal to those of us that have been doing the work for years - suck it up and do the work yourself.

The basic meme - all that matters is raiding and the rest of the game is preparation for this - or something "casuals" do - tends to go unchallenged. Yet a raid is usually easier than the hardest group content other than the need to set it up and coordinate it and the need to have the gear required. These are BIG things I understand that. But the actual fight tends to be easier. Few if any raids will wipe because a single player isn't quite geared well enough or isn't doing a good job. Heck - other than mechanics requiring that every character do something raids typically can be beaten with a character or two afk. But the toughest single group content is designed to be a wipe unless *every* character is well geared and doing his or her job well.

Maybe the solution is to have very difficult single-group content that is considered endgame in and of itself rather than being a way to gear up for raids. Content that a new player or newly returned player can qualify for more quickly. Content that doesn't have minimum gear levels so much as *maximum* gear levels to even the playing field and keep people from using it to get gear for raids. Content focusing on player skill more than who has spent years grinding etherials or whatever replaces them.

Unlikely to happen here but something being actively discussed on more than one development forum for new games where maybe the "raids are all that matters" meme will be broken.
    Aethos likes this.
  10. Priority Well-Known Member

Thats fantastic. It sounds like Oscuris from last year. I do wonder how many non flawless Vex groups were clearing it, though. The theme on the forums lately has been that the entry level VoV heroics are too hard. Idk how many of these people are going to go bang their heads against zones like that if their stance is that entry content is too difficult.
    Obano likes this.
  11. RubyHOF Member

They are tuned to assume people have gear, spells, and buffs that they do not necessarily have. For example, some people are just finally getting their experts.... and if they are returning players they won't have old spells to fall back on. Heroic mount vs mid sucker edition mount difference is about 14k potency, ethereal potency AA is 23k. Familiar difference isn't as bad, but it does start to add up (6-9k potency). That's 43k+ potency

Because of how combat mitigation works, this difference can be enough to cause a huge disparity in DPS.

I'd really be curious to see a non-ranger group with returning gear (290-295r) and no prior expansion benefits would do in H1.
    Aethos likes this.
  12. Priority Well-Known Member

That's great and all, however, these zones were cleared in the first 3 days by every server. They had 115k more mit. Even if groups had a 60k Pot advantage starting the xpac, the fights were still "harder" when we did them.

They were long fights. People need to be willing to put in some time to do these zones to start and they're clearly not.
    Obano likes this.
  13. RubyHOF Member

Why, yes, they were.

And then they nerfed auto attack :) And, they were cleared by people who already had the aforementioned buffs and spells! This only proves my point.
    Observing likes this.
  14. CSP84 Well-Known Member

I would like to give a different perspective on the matter of how long it takes to get the AA Pot Buff. There are player, including me, in my Raidforce who didn't have the time to run many weeklies due to limited on-time in RoS.

It took as about 3 months to get to the pot buff, with many (including me) only recently in december.

If new /returning player are asking to be on "equal" foot with Veterans than 3 months (minimum) should be expected to take for the buff.
  15. Priority Well-Known Member

Imagine having this many excuses for why you're bad.

Spells are easily available. Harvest some rares and ask in channel. It's so easy, stop pretending it's difficult. You look pathetic.

The buffs? We already established they don't matter. There was no stat advantage between launch clears and folks trying to do it today. Zero. Established, confirmed, you agreed. Stop trying to bring stats into it, they're a non issue.

The zones are too easy, period. It takes time. Unless you feel the mobs should fall over in 15s to some group of players who boosted their toons yesterday, did a sig line, and stepped into heroics. The scripts for these heroics aren't even difficult. Run through an environmental object to trigger an action? Interupt a spell? Do an HO?

It's literally just a time investment, that's it. Tired of arguing with you over it, Between you and Beyoncia, you'd think this game was completely elitist and could never, ever possibly be played by a new player.
  16. Priority Well-Known Member

So, as I sit here thinking, it occurs to me that the group i server firsted all the heroics with had a returning player in it. That's funny, right there. Imagine complaining about how the game is too hard for returning players and a returning player was within the first 3 or 4 groups world wide to clear the t2 heroics...
  17. RubyHOF Member

*A* returning player. Try it again with a whole group of them.

The irony for me is the start of your post made me think you finally understood the problem.... but somehow didn't make the connection half way through your own post and still believed your point supported your argument.
    Observing likes this.
  18. RubyHOF Member

Do you really not understand how combat mitigation (aka potency mitigation works)

If you did, you would understand how a 40k potency handicap can be crippling.

I also don't give a flying vegetable if you tire of arguing with me, I will be here to dispute your lousy points wherever you may go.
  19. Priority Well-Known Member

Why? I did it when it was statistically harder. Keep clawing. Maybe youll grab ahold of something that makes heroics truly difficult rather than just longer fights. Is it taking these groups 24 minutes to kill nameds? I doubt you know. You dont seem to be one for actually attempting content youre not severely overgeared for.
  20. Priority Well-Known Member

I cant teach you simple arithmetic. Its not in my wheelhouse. Just try a couple simple equations here, though.

480/610 and 440/495.

Which is the higher decimal? Ill wait while you hire a tutor.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.