VoV Tradeskill Weekly Fail

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Wannasticku, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Wannasticku Monkshkin

So, I just finished gathering for the VoV TS weekly. I was porting into Renfry's basement to craft the items and got booted from server. Got back on and all my mats are gone.... Is this something that could be modified?? That's a lot of wasted time. The mats should stay in inventory just for instances like this. Normally I would say to not adjust for the exception, but in this case, server issues aren't uncommon at all.
    Quillyne and Daryx like this.
  2. Daryx Well-Known Member

Yeah, that temp flag on those harvests makes me nervous for that reason. Since they are no trade, and the quests won't update unless you actually harvest the items (and not for anything in inventory), can't they just be made normal duration? Unless I'm missing something, the extras would be of no use to anyone unless you had a situation like the above.
    Wannasticku likes this.
  3. Rattophaxe Well-Known Member

Weirdly enough, my extras are still in my bag several zonings after the quest completed. Go figure....
    Wannasticku likes this.
  4. Melkior Well-Known Member

Temporary and No Zone are not the same. Temporary items are usually deleted when you are offline for a short time.

I don't know exactly how the Weekly works. But if you have to have the items on turn in, that iseems like a mistake. The idea of a weekly for me is you can do it over time, not all at once. That isn't really the case if you have to have the physical items present and they disappear when you log.

You could argue that a weekly is just a quest that can be done once per week. If that is the case, don't make the quantity of items that high. You only can do it once a week, no reason to make it a dreaded chore instead of something fun you can work on from time to time.

Harvesting that many items all at once on the pain of starting over, is not a fun mechanic. An alternative would be for the items to not even appear in your inventory if they satisfy the quest, only any over and above the number required. Just my thoguhts anyway.
    Doobius40504 and Wannasticku like this.
  5. EmJay Well-Known Member

The idea of having to harvest for that long and that many items along with at least 10 other people in the same area doing the same thing as I did was absolutely excruciating. You must harvest all the weekly components in one game session. They will disappear from your bags when you log. I believe you do have some minutes before they disappear in case you just go LD.

Yesterday I did the daily and harvested most of the weekly components, but could not bare to spend anymore time harvesting all that crap. Today I go back and I finished harvesting the weekly components and went inside the basement to craft but, of course, I lost all the items I harvested yesterday and I had to go back out to harvest another batch. OK lesson learned.

So far for my two dailies I got 1 rook set and one statue which are house items. For my weekly I got a no trade one use recipe for a Greatblade weapon that I cannot use. And from what I've heard, two handers are pretty much crap weapons in the game. And understanding that that recipe is just something added, my regular WEEKLY reward was 1 potion of limited progress.

The two other people that finished their weekly that I know got the same no trade recipe and for their regular rewards it was 1 house item and 1 transmutation stone.

So, my question is, is the tradeskill part of the new expac all in the game? Are there any other harvesting missions anywhere or additional tradeskill quests anywhere? Because if this is all there is, I consider it an epic fail!!
    Mizery, Kuulei and Wannasticku like this.
  6. Denmum Developer

The temporary tag on the harvestables is being removed in the patch for the 7th. The downside is that this means you will have to once in a while manually clean any surpluses of these items from your bags. Since the daily and the weekly use the same materials, I cannot just have these quests automagically remove spare quest harvests from your bags, for fear I am nuking materials you need for the other mission.

With regards to the rewards, a single weekly (or even 2 or 3) is not enough to show you what is on a reward table. There are recipes on there that you will want, but you cannot expect that you're going to get everything that you want in the first week of gameplay, then have nothing to strive for during the rest of the expansion.

Mileage will vary, but please consider the nature of dumb luck when trying to judge rewards this early in an expansion.
  7. Wannasticku Monkshkin

Great news!!! I would rather have to remove items from my bag at will than have them removed cause I get kicked.

Glad to have you on the TS side of things. I've been playing since 2004 and have used your references more times than I can count.

Thanks much!!!!
    Kattt, Daryx and Doobius40504 like this.
  8. Kethryl Active Member

I think this really addresses all of the concerns. Now people can spend a "week" doing the "weekly", without fear of losing their progress.

I'll be honest, I'm so far behind, I'm still discovering things from a few expansions ago. While I don't see myself using that crossbow recipe I picked up (but who knows, I might at some point), the chess piece house item I also received was a cool reward. I'm totally okay with the randomness. I know not everyone enjoys every aspect of this game, but I actually try and enjoy it all. It gives me some variety when I log in, so I can focus on what I want in order to fit my current mood. Sometimes that's slaying orcs, sometimes that's crafting, sometimes that's decorating.

I think the only feedback with regards to rewards is the transmuter stone or whatever that someone else brought up (I personally haven't gotten one, so ignore if false info). If that is the -only- reward you might receive on a given day/week, perhaps consider making that a "bonus" reward instead? Like, you'd get something else.. but then there's also a slight chance you might ALSO get the transmute stone. When those were introduced back as rewards for the Ring War/Storm Gorge PQs back in the DoV days, I thought they were a great idea, but they were a choice or bonus, not the only thing you got.
    Kattt, Doobius40504 and Denmum like this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You have the illusion. You can literally go all the way to the far end of Gist and harvest by the tombs. If there are too many node-snatching people in the front of the zone, just go in deeper. It's safe.
    Breanna and Alyndrys like this.
  10. Denmum Developer

Every one of those 9 node types in Forlorn also has a minimum amount check on it. There are X possible spawn points, separately placed for each node type. Y are spawned at zone up, and when numbers are below that, they slowly respawn into possible spots until back to Y. If the number of nodes for that type fall below Z, then they respawn immediately until they reach Z, then work more normally on respawning up to Y.

This means that even when there's a high demand in the zone, more are spawning ... somewhere.

There is also *some* logic to where you will find them

Knowing which parts of the area are more/less likely to have a certain item might make it easier for you to find it. :D
    Kattt, Daryx, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  11. Bramdar Active Member

7 weeklies done so far. I did find one adornment recipe that I can't use just yet, one mount gear book (one of the ones that requires patterns,) and one of the molds for the weapons in addition to the single-use recipes from each of the weeklies. And I'm caught up on a few podcasts.

Other than that... 3 or 4 of progress potions on each character... I guess once I build up 10 of those on each character, it won't be so bad. And 1 transmutation stone. But the last one I did - the reward was a house item stone block? I guess Bristlebane doesn't like me. :)
  12. Kuulei Well-Known Member

Now my gripe about the weekly...
    Without hitting any additional nodes and just "clicking" on what you need (calling it harvesting is a bit of a stretch), it takes 240 clicks to get all the needed items. Aside from this weekly taking almost an hour in some cases to complete (average is around 35 minutes) making it the LONGEST TS weekly ever in the game?
    I managed 3 crafters through the weekly / daily last night.
    Double dose of pain meds for my throbbing hand / fingers and a splint on now, making it take even longer today. I will have to limit myself to no more than 2 crafters a day. My hand / fingers cannot take this kind of abuse!

Personally I would like to have seen the weekly have us out actually harvesting and crafting with VoV mats . recipes and leave the gist "clicking" for dailies only.
    Daryx, Sigrdrifa and EmJay like this.
  13. EmJay Well-Known Member

Wow. This is not rocket science. I learned real quick where each type of node can be found. The fact of the matter is that it just is not fun to harvest a bunch of useless mats. Put the regular VoV harvestables in that area and use them for the recipes like every other year. The extra mats we harvest will go into our harvest depots to be used in the other crafting that we do. You stated on discord "It was meant to be a time investment for the weekly" in response to someone saying that having to harvest 90 of one item was grueling. I consider it just busy work, something to slow things down. You devs know all about that kind of thing. You do it very well.

As far as the rewards are concerned, the fact that there is even a chance to get a limited potion of progress or transmutation stone from doing the WEEKLY quest is insulting to say the least. Yes, I do expect to be rewarded with something that makes it worth my time. I don't have to explain to you how we received those items the last few years.
    Lateana, Daryx and Kuulei like this.
  14. Daryx Well-Known Member

As I stated in a thread before expansion, I really detest the mechanics of having advanced tradeskill books locked behind a random quest reward with a mammoth loot table. If they aren't going to be at least the type for your tradeskill class, I would much rather see them on a merchant. (And since my alchemist got the Vetrovian jeweler advanced book, apparently they are random as all get-out.)

Maybe make them buyable with the new currency (since there is no faction other than Far Seas Supply which most if not everyone will probably have maxed by the end), so we still have to run the quests to get them but at least we have some control and choice. The special recipes I can see remaining as drops, but I am really frustrated by the way the 9 classes' advanced books were handled in BOL and ROS and now this.
    Lateana, EmJay and Doobius40504 like this.
  15. Bramdar Active Member

Better luck with 2 weeklies today, and 2 class-specific advanced books. So for me, that makes 3 advanced books, 1 advanced adornment book, 3 transmutation stones, 1 progress potion, and 1 house item for 9 weeklies. I had better luck with the weeklies in week 1 than with the dailies, but I did manage 2 mount gear books and 1 tinkering book from dailies, along with a bunch of chess pieces and other random furniture, and some transmutation stones.

For my part, I'm ok with both the daily and weekly collections from Forlorn Gist items. I've been doing the weeklies by putting on a podcast or music, and harvesting everything I see for 10-15 minutes before paying attention to totals. 60/90 is still a whole lot for the weekly, and I'm not going to do 9 of these every week, though. If we can't keep a limited amount of harvests to count towards the next weekly, then I'd rather see 30/60 or something in between.
  16. Zartil Active Member

I agree completely once we complete the TS sig Line we should unlock a way to buy our books It is conceivable if one does the weekly every week for 52 weeks to not get a complete set of 5 books for your class. WHOEVER thought this was a good idea needs to rethink things, Yes most of us have multiple casters but this is beyond ridicules. The rarity of the books are holding most of the server hostage. So a FEW lucky / wealthy players make a HUGE profit extorting the rest of the server because they got lucky or had the 100mil plat to buy the book they needed. This is a good thing? No it is not. During BOL they finally after quite sometime made it so we could buy the advanced books from our GH and other vendors. Did they learn NOTHING from that? They make the same poor decision over and over why should I invest hundred of hours of my time with the possibility that I cannot get my Advanced books?
    Mizery and Lateana like this.
  17. DENSER Well-Known Member

because after some time, there was no more interest or way less than at launch of a new expac for them to take advantage of these ingame purchases regarding spell reductions.
    There is nothing taboo to specify, it's the mechanics of the game and we are all aware of how it works as usual.
    We can be unhappy, I am, but that's how it works