GPU Shadow Maps under Linux

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Aquarius, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Aquarius New Member

Has anyone got shadows working under Linux/Wine?

The game runs great on my Debian setup, except shadows are completely disabled.
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  2. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

is it possible for you, if don't difficult, point out which debian are you using (version, bitness) and driver (own from debian or proprietary), please..
  3. sugarmetender New Member

I'd be very curious to know more about your setup as well. My EQ2 attempts on Linux so far have been unsuccessful.
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  4. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

in linux that you used other games for windows were launched? think that in any modern linux that is intended for an ordinary user, this game starts (after connecting necessary repositories and installing software packages and provided that this os works correctly on your hardware. in some of linuxes, this may already be preinstalled and configured) and there are practically no problems with it, at least if language of game interface is english for you. another thing is that for this, in any case, such component of linux system is used which is yclept wine.
    i don't say program (for it's more than just program), but i say component, constituent. this wine it had to be properly integrated into system, to have necessary modules inside for everything to go smoothly. in addition, there may be seemingly insurmountable obstacle to impossibility of launching game to play through wine in linux if you are using 64-bit linux (some of 32-bit linux see all ram, and some in this regard, as 32-bit windows - not all).. however, i think in most cases those who play through linux today don't launch game directly through wine (some of these players may not even know that they are playing through wine because its configurators are not used by user to play), but they use an intermediary program, for example, it can be lutris or steam solution is used. or else there are any options (they were also mentioned on this forum). you can try any special version of linux specially compiled to run windows games on it. on distrowatch and not only there you can find info about it. but in any case, you need to keep in mind that ability to play windows game also depends on what hardware configuration you have so that your linux is fully supported by it (rather, so that you don't have hardware very outdated). for example, on some motherboards, this or that linux may simply not start, and not that game would be running. simplest solution may be to use some kind of linux specially designed for games, if, of course, it supports your hardware at level of system kernel.. in another case most likely reason for your failure to run windows games on linux may be due to fact that repositories for so-called non-free software and/or proprietary software were not connected.
    since linux in most cases offers license that doesn't imply presence of nonfree software in freshly installed system, so to speak. also, as i wrote earlier on this forum, to make sure that specific linux will allow you to play this game, start with its live version without installing it. for whom-then easiest way is to just play through steam (this isn't suitable for all countries). as for why i asked OP question that i asked, it's because i'm wondering what is situation in latest debian releases with games for windows (i still use an outdated version, including for this game, mainly due to its high reliability on my hardware). just download any version of ubuntu live (there are tens of miscellaneous linuxes), then install proprietary drivers (there should be an icon for their automatic installation if it's original ubuntu).
    if it's 64 bit vers you may need to use an intermediary program (such as lutris) to install it from repository. if it's 32-bit vers of linux (they are no longer supported by devs), then you can simply play through wine. since i can't definitely say without checking whether it's possible to install wine with all necessary windows components for games on 64-bit systems based on ubuntu. so either use special linux for windows games or use special intermediary-program.. think linux on pc is used by very few players in games for windows, this is perhaps somewhere around 1 or there two, max three % of their total number. but those who do this (including me) probably know why they need it and advantages they have in comparison with windows users. one of which is security of your personal data (because scammers are not very interested in os that few people use)..
    on this forum some players have already written about which linux they use for this game or how they do it. however, for example, this stupid manjaro doesn't fit for me because it isn't adapted to classic (5:4/4:3) monitors and flashes uefi by adding start menu, so after it i will have to reflash motherboard.. in general, situation is as follows, that linux has been getting worse and worse lately.. like windows.. so there may be few choices, if not only ones. for specific, not new hardware. if you are using relatively new motherboard, then main obstacle to playing, which system is different from windows, is either unwillingness to know something that can be used, or lack of time to understand issue, or both :confused:
  5. Aquarius New Member

I'm using Debian 10 (64-bit).
    I enabled 32-bit architecture (sudo dpkg - - add-architecture i386; sudo apt update) .
    I installed nVidia proprietary drivers and 32-bit libraries (sudo apt install nvidia-driver nvidia-driver-libs:i386).
    I installed Wine (sudo apt install wine).
    Finally I installed Lutris (sudo apt install lutris).

One one of my computers, this is enough and I can just install the game via Lutris.

Hardware:
    Motherboard: ASUS B85M-GAMER
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460
    Graphics: Gainward GeForce 1650 Super

On my other computer, with the same software configuration, I have to switch to an older Wine version to install EQ2, then switch back to a new version to run it.

Previously, I used Ubuntu, and EQ2 ran great there too.
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  6. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

hail Aquarius, thanks for actual info about deb 10. in my debian 8 (x32, all memory) shadows are rendered quite satisfactorily: wine 2.21 staging, nvidia lx-x86 340.93, open gl 2.0, image sett = perform, sync to vblank 1 (enable), allow flipping 1, use conform texture clamp 1 , application profiles 1; qt raster graphics system, vsync splash prevention auto,
    gt240 video chip.
    i also assume thought that some of settings of desktop graphic effects that work in applications may influence (i just turn them off everything except translucency and highlight window). think it matters that application profile is enabled for driver

sugarmetender, i think that you don't need to fool your head about how to set up to play. you just need to take live image in form of .iso, burn and load (then install driver and wine), then if game doesn't run after installing driver and wine, try another live image [shrugs]
    although if you want to configure launch of eqii (or another windows game - it doesn't matter in vast majority of cases) in certain linux, working at you, then it's easier for you to get an answer on linux forums (few people are interested in linux here). although if you be say what kind of linux do you have and video chip, then it's perhaps that someone will see this here to answer more specifically but think this unlikely (in different linux distro, installation scripts may differ)
    Aquarius likes this.
  7. Aquarius New Member

Ra'Gruzzgob, that's quite an old version of Wine. I'm using fshack-6.14, which is the default in Lutris. But I remember shadows *used* to work at some point.
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  8. Aquarius New Member

There was a graphics driver update in Debian the other day, and today when I logged in, shadows worked!

Keeping fingers crossed it will stick...
    Ra'Gruzgob likes this.
  9. PsiberDaemon Active Member

I'm on Pop!_OS 20.04 and installed EQ2 using Lutris. It works beautifully! A lot of progress is being made in Gaming under LINUX (thankfully!)
    Sturmlocke and Ra'Gruzgob like this.