Mechanic for Running PQs for Predator or Prey needs to be rethunk

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Bhayar, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I know many of us were happy about seeing PQs possibly revitalized so that there was another possibility of completing Predator or Prey for coins. Unfortunately, the current mechanic is potentially killing this otherwise great idea. While I don't necessarily have a problem with having to kill the two preceding mobs to spawn the 3rd to get the credit, I do have a problem with the mechanic of having the PQs using the same timer as Overland Bosses.
    Great, we spend time gathering people for a public PQ, form a raid, kill the 1st mob. Oh wait, (no pun intended) the 2nd mob ain't spawning like it used to. Now you can wait the next mob to spawn 45-to-60 minutes later, and then the 3rd to finally pop. Good luck keeping a raid force together standing around for 45 minutes. Go back to the old system where you kill 1st mob, 2nd spawns right away, and then when that's done, the 3rd pops. Mechanic activated on Tuesday patch, and by Thursday, it was dead in zones. No one running them.
  2. Melkior Well-Known Member

I may have a bad memory, but I don't recall it ever working that way. I remember them having independent timers. Where you had to choose which to do first in a zone based on time remaining. There were times where it may have appeared killing one caused the second to start, but I don't think that is how it actually worked. The only one I knew for sure was triggered was the third. Again not sure because I stopped doing PQs ages ago, but that is what I remember.
  3. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

They have always had independant spawn timers. It was never kill 1st, 2nd spawns.

Best bet is kill all PQ mobs when you see them. If 3rd named doesn't spawn straight away, move on.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct. Independent spawn timers, but maybe my memory went belly up since it's been a while. Yes, you could go into a zone and you'd have two up at the same time and have to choose. And yes, you had to kill two in the zone. Spider, then whirlwind, then Doom and so forth. What I don't remember is killing one and then having to sit around for 45 minutes hoping something will spawn as seems to be happening in the zones since Tuesday. When they spawned, they spawned fairly quickly in the same zone.
  5. Bentenn Well-Known Member

It depended on is first mob was killed, people disbanded or had time to wait on a second. If both were up and taken down close to each other in time, minus the kill time of each, they popped fairly close, however since hardly anyone touches them anymore, sometimes their sync is off. They should just really do away with PQ's, PQ gear, in fusing and reforging. Back to the basics and move on.
  6. Taled Well-Known Member

It seemed that way because they were constantly being killed at the same times. In the meantime, they have been spawning/despawning as their timers see fit, rather than being killed nearly simultaneously and spawning the third.

If both PQs aren't up when you go in, it's typically not worth doing the PQ.
    Goezer likes this.
  7. EmJay Well-Known Member

Bhayar is absolutely correct. At the beginning of the expansion, you could killl one and within a couple minutes the second was up. Kill that and the third one spawned. Never, ever a half hour or 45-minute wait between any of them. Then it was decided that the loot was too good and everything about the encounters changed. Drop rate of the loot that everyone was chasing was decreased to the point of being nearly nonexistence. And then at times the third mob didn't spawn at all. That's my recollection of how things went at that time.

Makes all the sense to me that those long waits now between spawns is definitely a change instituted by the devs who know how to do one thing the best and that is making a game that is not fun.
    Mizgamer62 and Bhayar like this.
  8. Bentenn Well-Known Member

That was because most of the time as one raid was killing one.. another would kill the second keeping them on the same timers.. i've been in zones where one has 10 mins left and the other had 40 mins left.. raid force kills the 10 min one, moves to the 40 min one and now they are on same timer.. sometimes people only needed one PQ for whatever reason, they kill one and left another up and timers separated...the PQs just need to go away as they are a waste of time and create unnecessary lag in the game and then for people who are raiding or trying to run heroics, if the zone gets full you have to swap over lol.. just a pita all around.. just kill the PQs off and move on.
  9. Goezer Master of Crayons

Sadly, until people start killing regularly, their timers are going to remain off sync. But as you stated, everyone had no reason to run them anymore so they just ran through their cycle and their timers got off whack, Despite peoples conspiracy theories of what's going on with them. They have a set timer with random amount of time added up to certain amount (if I understand them correctly) so they aren't going to be exact when they aren't killed close together. If anyone needs a foil hat, hit me up, I'll make you one.
  10. Paragonvii Active Member

I think it should just spawn second right after first kill, and so on. What would that hurt? Also, while we are on the topic, the spawn time needs to be addressed on the regular named mobs in the ROS zones. I am not sure why this changed, but when do my passes in the zones, they are either not up at all or they are being camped (which is something I am not a fan of). Place holders never really bugged me before, but when you make several fly overs/ scans and you just don't find anything except maybe some campers, something is off.
  11. Grandavi Active Member

Bottom line, though, is that all PQs eventually become irrelevant. I think from Kunark on to BoL... rarely does anyone touch a PQ that isn't RoS. I solo'd the PQ in Kylong plains simply because I wondered what it was... lol.

Everything pre-lvl 110 is pretty well soloable... (other than perhaps the Wind/Air/Etc... PQs)
  12. EmJay Well-Known Member

From patch notes of 7-27-21

"PUBLIC QUESTS
    • Root of All Evil, Tortoise No Moor and Doom. Doom! DOOM! will now start 2 minutes after the first two Public Quests in their respective zones are completed."
    That is exactly how the PQs spawned at the beginning of the expansion when everyone was chasing the prized celestial gear.
  13. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

The mechanics for spawning hasn't changed for the 3rd named. The only difference in this now, is that the 3rd mob doesn't pop instantly so people can't start killing it while the group/raid who killed the other nameds are still on their way.
  14. Bhayar Well-Known Member

We'll agree to disagree on that. Maybe that was your experience, but I can assure you we had two mobs down numerous occasions and sat around and waited for 3rd mob to show up. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. It does resolve to some degree the problem of people waiting on others to kill first two while they camp the 3rd and pull it as soon as it spawns.
  15. EmJay Well-Known Member

So sorry, I must have been playing a different game. /shrug