will Windows 11....

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kotter, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Taled Well-Known Member

Obviously they don't want that. It's pretty clear they just believe that the outrage over the setting will be less than enough to scare away customers to their non-existent competition.
    For a majority of users, Windows is the only viable option - Macs are exorbitantly overpriced and don't work for people who want to game easily; Linux is widely available but requires more technical knowledge to acquire, install, and adequately use for programs that are intended for Windows.

It's not impossible, but there is no widely-available alternative that is compatible with a majority of software/games that people use without extra steps.
    Wulfgyr likes this.
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

It's not just nonsense it effectively makes having an internet connection mandatory to boot up a machine. Ridiculous.
    Mermut and Jaden like this.
  3. IceStormx New Member

4. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Have you submitted your feedback (in Windows 10 start typing "Feedback" into the search bar, and select the Feedback Hub)?

I've also worked with multiple other OSes - but even though EQ1 had it's roots in the MUDs and MOOs of yesterday, pretty sure you won't get EQ2 to run on a VAX/VMS terminal or Solaris. YMMV. Plus.... it's a free upgrade. So it's not like MSFT is making or losing any money from your decision.

A nonsense requirement? Maybe for you and your setup - are you familiar with the difference between the Home and Pro versions? Taking a look at the differences between the two versions for Windows 10, the home version does not include BitLocker or anything related to Active Directory. That's probably fine for most consumer setups or folks that live alone - but for my setup, I'm running a home domain that backs up our computers and allows for centralized management of patching and group policies. Helped a few times during the transition to remote learning - there's not going to be any "the computer ate my homework" excuses in this house!

MS could really care less if you abandon Windows. Lets be honest, where you gonna go? The $$ they make off Windows is largely from OEM manufacturer and corporate licenses - that's why it's a free upgrade for consumers. So even if you wipe windows off your shiny new laptop and install Ubuntu... MSFT already got paid. They've pretty much transitioned to a services company anyways, versus a software manufacturer.

Bottom line: Use whatever fits your needs the most.
    Hartsmith likes this.
  5. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

I don't believe that's correct, and has been overblown quite a bit.

Windows 11 requirements

Specifically:
    • Internet connection: Internet connectivity is necessary to perform updates, and to download and use some features.
      • Windows 11 Home edition requires an Internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use.

What's likely going to impact folks more than that is the requirement for a DirectX 12 or later video card, 720p capable display (1280x720), and as mentioned earlier in the thread, TPM 2.0. There's a bit of confusion on TPM, as many mobo manufacturers that sell to the enthusiast / build-your-own crowd tend to disable some of the requisite settings for some reason. Until those settings (typically PTT, virtualization extensions, etc) are enabled in the BIOS, TPM 2.0 checks will fail. If you bought a new device since July 28, 2016 from a MSFT partner (Dell, HP, etc) that came with Windows on it, it's TPM 2.0 compliant.
  6. Taled Well-Known Member

To be fair, the issue there is whether you can remove the M$ account after setup or not. I personally have zero interest in having a Microsoft account, or one for any other hardware/software developer directly tied to my laptop. If I can't remove their access then I won't ever want to be on MS11.

But, as far as EQ2 goes, you're absolutely correct that the hardware requirements are going to be a nightmare for people, and possibly for EQ2 in general if it removes the ability to load DX9 to run EQ2.
    Wulfgyr and Tkia like this.
  7. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Folks, I have been installing software and hardware and a number of different CPUs, configurations and operating systems since 1987, until I retired in 2015. And I still handle my own and relatives' upgrades.

MS has always done dumb things and lost customers as a result. At my last job, a number of decades long MS Windows users demanded to be switched to something else. But we couldn't get authorization.

Having to log into an internet account, to log into a computer right in front of me is dumb.

And you have to have one of several CPUs they will accept. No one in my family has one.

MS' actions is nothing more than changing all computers to cloud computing. which is fine, until the network, etc. goes down. And it does go down. It went down at my last job. Some one else's responsibility.

With my current computer, I can do a number of things with no internet.
    Hartsmith and Tkia like this.
  8. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

Good point. As I mentioned earlier we've got our own domain at home. I'm assuming if/when we upgrade it'll be to the Pro version, and we'll continue using our existing credentials to log on. One thing I do like with having a MSFT account linked, is the ability to backup the OS activation key in case of a complete wipe / clean install (typically after a hardware upgrade).

Ah, got it. So because it's always been that way in the past, that's the way it is. As I mentioned above, do whatever is best for you and yours. We'll agree to disagree - though I'd gently urge you to examine your existing biases and the reasons behind them, and see if they still apply.
  9. Geroblue Well-Known Member

MS is biased towards their customers. I tend to ignore their more idiotic ideas. And as far as I'm concerned, Win 11 is rather idiotic.

I have changed over the decades. MS' dislike of their customers hasn't.
  10. Wulfgyr I've got friends in EQ2Wire places

With all due respect, that's your opinion. My opinion happens to differ - when I was working for Uncle Sugar I interacted with MS reps from the mid-2000's through about 2015, and there was a noticeable shift in their culture.

If you believe people and organizations can't change, that's fine. I happen to think they should be given a second chance. I'm sorry someone or some event in the past has treated you horribly enough that you're still carrying that grudge around. Best of luck in the future.
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Multiple instances, over multiple decades. Working for multiple companies. Not just my opinion, but the opinions of many of the computer techs I have worked with since 1987 through 2015. Not one instance at all. I worked for Uncle Sugar to.

I'm not carrying a grudge of any sort. I merely don't like that company based on decades of experiences.

I don't like Apple, Inc. either. But I have no grudge.
  12. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

some guy thrust in windows 11 into his phone (into his high-performance phone). now can it run eq ii on it?
    as for linux - it's worth it, because it makes your personal life more calmed (this reminds that you don't need to see again face of that auto mechanic who knows how much you will pay him anew)
    Geroblue likes this.
  13. Disrption Active Member

I got the Win 11 Insider release installed 3 days ago, they put it out on the Dev Ring of the insider program then. I haven't encountered any compatibility issues. No reinstall or UI corruption of game files thus far. Only bug I've run into is the F10 key game is cross-referenced with a Windows hotkey, I was able to toggle F10 mode in-game but not out of it, had to close the client and restart to fix it.

Otherwise its pretty clean Windows 11 only some minor DX9 hiccups in other games, runs all my DX11/12 ones slightly faster.
    Geroblue and Kotter like this.
  14. Jaden Well-Known Member

All good info; interesting thread for sure. Now, if only I can collect a few more aluminum cans roadside to turn in at the Recycling Center so I can afford the lithium in a new motherboard along with getting a new gpu... at some point in 2022 probably ;o(
    ---------------------

15. Kotter Legendary Member

is always nice to have something to look forward to.
    Jaden likes this.
  16. Mucko Member

EQ2 works fine with Win11 so far, A.C.T., not so much...
  17. Faelan Active Member

Given the nightmare Win10 has been on my new TPM-enabled system, I dread what Win11 will bring. No thanks. Even the simplest software install has been a PIA.
    Old system workflow: Run installer > allow the game to connect through the firewall if online, when the pop-up appears > play game.
    New system workflow: Turn off all antivirus items in advanced antivirus settings > run installer > turn antivirus settings back on > make sure the game and every single associated software is set to admin mode to keep windows from dropping my headset or joystick, etc. due to loss of focus > spend hours tracking down which file Windows decided to not install anyway to "protect" me from having that DLL on my system.> Find obscure setting in Windows that is keeping the game from running right, usually related to graphics or trying to get me to use all the "advanced" XBox features (on a PC) or streaming features, both of which I turned off a long time ago when setting up the PC. > Step through all the firewall blocks for the game and every chat feature/subsystem in the game, with the pop-up from Windows "conveniently" hidden under the game screen > redo step 3 when the game crashes again > find workaround for when Windows decides to use enhanced game mode settings even though they're off, causing more trouble > play game the next day as I used up my whole evening doing the above.

Granted, my system is pretty advanced, as it was built as a flight simming / graphics workstation, but every problem I have had with it is due to Windows fighting me to take control of everything I do, (and do it wrong) or try to force me to give them my data and telemetrics. Windows is Malware. If some of my software wasn't so (illegally, see the multiple anti-trust cases against Micro$oft) Windows dependent, I'd have run Linux from the get-go.
    Tkia likes this.
  18. Treggar Active Member

I have had no issues with running EQ2 and ACT on Win11. Been running it since 7/2/2021.