Server Maintenance - March 16, 2021

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I'm not in software developing, but my brain's next question would be: wouldn't you smoke test your intended patch on the TEST Server first and make sure it's a viable patch? It's seems counterintuitive to bring a live server down and then test your patch on the server before discovering it's self destructing?
  2. Kalika Well-Known Member

Of course ...

And well if a patch/update is problematic it should be super easy to roll it back and to postpone its application.
  3. Grandavi Active Member

In the real world... yes. Apparently, they get dressed up for server patches and do it in a medieval fair. I believe this one is because there is a protest at the wooden "spin-wheel" that powers the servers... nobody is pushing right now....
    Lysia likes this.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Again, testing your patch before you apply it ensures you don't need to roll back anything. Yeah, that's a quick fix, but in the meantime, the server has been down heading closer to 5 hours now. Who knows how much longer it will be down?

All that could have been avoided by simply testing the patch before you apply it. I know we sometimes want to complicate things, but simple testing is the most effective use of everyone's time and ensures you don't have this kind of problem. And I seem to recall a similar fubar patch that brought the servers down for most of the day not all that long ago.

And tomorrow we're supposed to see a GU introduced? Maybe if servers are going to be down this long, we could get the platform people back and have them fix what they broke last time--guild voice chat.
  5. Maldo Spellweaver New Member

well back in the day, when all this crsap started. we had a saying that went something like... "Make it work, Make it look good, Make it work faster" Today i guess its more like WTF its due today get it out we'll fix it when we can...
  6. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

Work on the issue discovered during smoke testing causing zone instability is still ongoing. There is no ETA at this time but information will be updated as soon as I have it.
  7. Aerymar Member

It'll be up, when it's up. If any of you could do better, then submit your application to SOE.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Helm and Soara2 like this.
  8. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Smoked sausage, onions, peppers, hash browns, garlic, salt, pepper. You're welcome. So, guess I have to clean the house then and maybe do some other RL stuff. Got a new laptop and it seems to be doing great last night when I clicked plants. Too bad no eta, but good time to catch up RL I guess. lol.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Don't think they could afford me. At any rate, it isn't SOE and it hasn't been for years, haha.
  10. Greebo New Member

Thanks for the update. I know working on an old code base is painful at times and even semi-normal test cycles are often shoehorned into place and unreliable. I also know from experiencing it with other games that even if this was a sparkling new mmo with an all modern test driven codebase that had been fully vetted on a test server it would still have these issues on patch day, it's the rule not the exception. Thanks to the devs for the hard work tracking it down.
  11. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

They're trying to use that new "non-racist" Math and it's not working because it's not absolute. They keep getting different answers. ie: 1+1=8 1+1=0 1+1=5 . . . (hint: the answer is 2. Always will be.)
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  12. Tinyblaze New Member

Thank you for reminding us Greebo. Patience is not in most peoples attitudes and behaviors. Not a patient person myself..
  13. Virtuosity Active Member

I thought the rationale behind releasing patches onto Test a week earlier than Live was exactly so that things didn't break ... but I am an eternal optimist and will hope that our raid goes ahead as planned ... forming up in 23 seconds :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  14. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Finora like this.
  15. Ichoris Well-Known Member

I know it's frustrating when Patch day goes late. It seems that this happens more and more. It could be that the content was tested but this problem only appeared when they went live. It could also be that it has nothing to do with the new content and something else. We will never know the true cause. Hopefully it will be back soon. My free time to play EQ2 is almost gone for today. Maybe they will extend the events an extra day to make up for the downtime.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  16. Griffith New Member

Okay so what are the players going to get out of this entire waste of a day :) ? Compensation Package incoming!
  17. KillPhil New Member

*licked too many frogloks and fell down the rabbit hole"
  18. AngelBee New Member

Going on six hours now, any new news?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Soara2 like this.
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

let me in shakes monitor I need my Ever Crack .
    Eyes rolling back in to the head .
    Reaches over to KillPhil and grabs some frogs and gnomes from him .
  20. smoketester New Member

Another successful patch day. I feel bad for all the other games that give their players uninterupted service. How do those gamers ever get their housework done with no 8-10 hour downtimes?