Am I the only one that thinks this?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Grandavi, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Grandavi Active Member

Regarding the server disruptions lately... I am wondering...

Are these not things that you can schedule and limit to once per month? I mean... true MMPORG members usually are a tad "obsessed" with their games... which you would think the company would actually do their best to encourage (it's all about membership...).

I just feel like the servers have been down now about twice a week and it just seems like a trend.

Maybe I am just being a bit too sensitive.. lol.
    Mizery, Soara2 and Karioki like this.
  2. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

EQ2 used to be patched weekly. lol.

They do a weekly server reset to address lag or other issues I believe.
    Soara2 and WhysperWynde like this.
  3. Bludd Well-Known Member

you are being too sensitive
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Personally, I like chit fixed as soon as possible, not wait for once a month. Tuesday is usually (not always) a server reset, which is minimal. However, if you're going to patch and bring down the server in any given week, then I'd suggest foregoing a Tuesday "reset." That would seem to be redundant, IMHO.
  5. Grandavi Active Member

I actually would prefer a Sunday reset, but that's just because I am pro-family and like to think of Saturday and Sunday mornings as computer-free periods. I just think we are on server down period #4 in 2 weeks. Not a big issue, but as an IT type guy, I usually run all my upgrades offline before implementation to ensure quick and effective implementation... but that's just me... Mr. Sensitive. lol

On the plus side.. I now have more time to deal with the millions of dollars I keep getting on my email from all those people that I have yet to meet, but apparently they die leaving it all to me! YAY!
    Mizery, Soara2 and WhysperWynde like this.
  6. Gojiria Member

What? Are you new? This has been the paradigm as long as I've played, Tuesday mornings are maintenance... unless they're not, then it's wednesday, sometimes Thorsday... Sometimes they get it done in the 2 hours they allot themselves, sometimes they don't.

THIS is one of the few things I'm totally accepting of, as far as the complaint department goes... If it helps them keep this seemingly-decrepit game alive, it's a small price to pay. Beats having the zone you're involved in a PQ raid in go down out of the blue, when you're nearly done with the fight...

You wanna complain about things, how about joining the rage against placeholders for overland mini-bosses... Cos flying around a zone for HOURS trying to pop pitiable little mobs like these overland guys, is NOT a decent expenditure of time.
    Soara2, AOE1, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  7. Gojiria Member

So you want them in there on a SUNDAY working??? What about THEIR families?
    Goreblade, Soara2, Breanna and 4 others like this.
  8. Grandavi Active Member

lol Gojiria : )
    I hear you loud and clear about the placeholders... I ignore those now and just clear 'em if they are up. I'm just lucky that I enjoy the old content so have been playing more on my smaller alts doing old-school questlines (they are the most entertaining, I find).

As for... am I new... yes and no. Started in 2007, helped create and run Shattered Moon, left in 2009 (game was practically unsolo-able back then and Raids took like an hour to start and 2-8 hours to run... ). Came back thanks to "the new world" as we had life "reset" in 2020... and found that one person stayed since I left and kept the house open.

Now we are a 2 person guild... lol, but Shattered Moon survives! Still love the game and running solo is now doable so I jump in whenever I have free time. Usually... that's in the morning and then again in the evening... but... lately... I come in and "get to safe area". Is why I posted... : )

Not angry, just mildly annoyed.

Frankly, I think that Daybreak would have been smart to really attack this game to make it as good and playable as possible over the past year as I saw so many people return due to the change in life on the other side of the door. Not sure that recycling zones and monsters and doing away with entertaining audio, etc... is going to stretch the lifeline of this game much further.

But... soon I will be back in the game... fluttering around with my Cherub winged paladin.
    Mizery, Soara2 and WhysperWynde like this.
  9. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

Back in 2004 and 2005 EQ2was patched daily.
    Janius, Soara2 and SynnikuL like this.
  10. Grandavi Active Member

were
    That was before my time... but were they 2 hour + patches?
    Soara2 likes this.
  11. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

About an hour or so each day at 7 am PST. Sometimes longer but mostly just an hour.
    Soara2 and WhysperWynde like this.
  12. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

Wow daily updates with an hour downtime would be tedious, even in early morning like 7AM. We are getting up now daily at 5:30AM to go walking after feeding cats as coffee brews .. for our health. I already feel better and more energy after just 3 days of it. And then I like to jump on my comp - in fact I've begun warming it up too as the coffee brews and then I don't have to wait any time to get in. My computer despite having W10 now instead of W7 is very slow to load. So slow my hubby was going to try to fix it for me, he thought it was stalled but despite him being a computer tech that's just how my comp loads.

I have no problems with the Tuesday updates as they are now. Gotta keep things running and fix whatever's broke. Like Bhayar said fixing stuff right away is better than waiting. I also have no problem with the longish load times sometimes between zones .. I just pop over here or to Gab Social for a few minutes and post. I did see somewhere that some people recommended that if you zone out from your home or a house rather than out in the wilds it's usually faster.

Just saying - I don't mind ~ as Saul Goodman sez "it's all good, man!"
    Soara2 likes this.
  13. Almee Well-Known Member

It seems to me load times take a lot longer now then in the past. And I agree about the constant down times as they always seem to occur during the time i play each day (7-10 EST) except for the weekly patch which doesn't affect me.

I wouldn't mind the down times if it didn't mess up timed quests such as harvesting the goblin planters. I had to give up on harvesting them because of all the erratic downtimes. It's just too stressful to try to log on to harvest them at the same time each day just to have log in problems or a patch which throws the time off into a time when I don't play. I guess I'm OCD about that. I like schedules I can depend on.

It is the same with lots of 24-hour quests which is why I cancelled most of my accounts. I can't just log in any time of the day to play as I have other responsibilities. And when the game is chronically going down, when I normally play, it makes no sense to keep paying a sub.
    Soara2 and AOE1 like this.
  14. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Yea but the game was also more fun back then.
    Janius, Lateana, AOE1 and 4 others like this.
  15. Breanna Well-Known Member

Yes it was! Even with all the corpse runs (which I hated) :D
    Lateana, Soara2 and Pixistik like this.
  16. Raff Well-Known Member

But there are always others with different schedules. I no longer game in the evenings due to work / RL....but my best play times are early Sat / Sun mornings....6AM-10AM ish. I vote 'no" on Sunday resets, ,lol
    Soara2, Breanna and Siren like this.
  17. Sennetta Active Member

I just wish they stopped breaking things when they patch this time its the log in again lol
    Soara2 likes this.
  18. Karioki Active Member

Yes. It does feel like a trend. 2 down days a week feels guaranteed these days. Been going on since I returned to EQ2/Kaladim 6 weeks before the release of Sentinel's Fate. If this keeps up I will need to return to EQ1 which does not yet appear to be suffering the excess downtime.

Saddens me. I love this game - although it has gotten far less challenging.
    Soara2 likes this.
  19. Ransomware New Member

The thing is, they take the servers down almost every day for a scheduled maintenance that takes about an hour and then they put it up again, but still it all crashes twice a week
    Siren and Soara2 like this.
  20. Nukyular Member

What I can't help doing is comparing the relative importance of the updates being made to the toxic nature of server shutdowns.

If they're important updates and the server ends up being down for hours, I'm much more forgiving. But if it's just a small itemization update and fixing some minor quest glitch, then we're down all day, I get really ticked because I'm like Really, 6 hours of downtime so a mob in PoF drops different loot?

If they were better at updates it would be different, but they suck at updates so they should start updating ONLY when it's absolutely vital to the interests of the players. Today's a perfect example of one that really rustles my jimmies - everyone's got to suffer through what will probably be an hours-long downtime because of some "back end" provider issues on Thurgadin server? I'm sure the crash is related to that, there's nothing else happening today.
    Soara2 likes this.